PDA

View Full Version : anti-freeze/coolant leak

charliekuney
04-04-2010, 11:02 AM
My car started leaking coolant and I can't figure out where it is. I'll post some pictures in a bit to see if anyone could help. It's coming from the area between the thermostat and EGR valve. It doesn't seem to be coming from the thermostat, and I just changed it along with the seal about a week ago. This is preventing my car from being able to go any distance without flushing the entire coolant system the second I turn my car off. Oh, I forgot: It doesn't seem to leak when the car is running/driving, but the second I turn the car off, it will start leaking. It's very odd, too, because I can drive two miles home from school and it will leak all of the coolant, but I could also drive to Seattle and back and it won't leak a single drop. I've changed several (but not all) of my radiator hoses in the past few months. Any help would be great because I have a 600mi trip coming up that I cannot miss. Any ideas?

stephensimmons
04-04-2010, 03:01 PM
My car started leaking coolant and I can't figure out where it is. I'll post some pictures in a bit to see if anyone could help. It's coming from the area between the thermostat and EGR valve. It doesn't seem to be coming from the thermostat, and I just changed it along with the seal about a week ago. This is preventing my car from being able to go any distance without flushing the entire coolant system the second I turn my car off. Oh, I forgot: It doesn't seem to leak when the car is running/driving, but the second I turn the car off, it will start leaking. It's very odd, too, because I can drive two miles home from school and it will leak all of the coolant, but I could also drive to Seattle and back and it won't leak a single drop. I've changed several (but not all) of my radiator hoses in the past few months. Any help would be great because I have a 600mi trip coming up that I cannot miss. Any ideas?

Get you a pressure tester to go on the radiator then pressureize it and look.

Dr_Snooz
04-04-2010, 06:34 PM
How did the thermostat housing look when you opened it up. Spic-N-Span or kinda cruddy and nasty?

charliekuney
04-04-2010, 06:38 PM
^ It looked "rusty".

ShyBoyCA6
04-04-2010, 07:19 PM
when you change several hoses you got to change all of them you must have a rotten hose somewhere check all hose clamps,inspect for any sign of cracks or expanded when hoses are normal(cold) on the hose and guessing it wouldn't leak cause the hose is hot and it expands so that could be why it wont leak when running. tighten clamps to see if thats your problem if not change the clamp might be old and not have a good tight clamp

Dr_Snooz
04-04-2010, 07:21 PM
^ It looked "rusty".

Are you sure you got a good seal when you put it back together?

ShyBoyCA6
04-04-2010, 07:23 PM

or did he get a seal that wasnt the correct one?

charliekuney
04-04-2010, 07:38 PM
[blah]

I've checked all of the hoses I can see. The thing is, it seems like it leaks too much to be just a crack in a hose.

Yes.

or did he get a seal that wasnt the correct one?

The seal came with the thermostat.

stephensimmons
04-05-2010, 04:35 AM
I've checked all of the hoses I can see. The thing is, it seems like it leaks too much to be just a crack in a hose.

:facepalm: Get a pressure tester. Or atleast pressurize the system somehow if you dont want to buy one.

charliekuney
04-05-2010, 10:30 AM
^ I really don't know how to, so I'll have to get a tester. Are there places that rent them?

stephensimmons
04-05-2010, 12:36 PM
^ I really don't know how to, so I'll have to get a tester. Are there places that rent them?

Try autozone or advance

M3Galaxie
04-05-2010, 01:48 PM
I had a leak coming from the same area. My was coming from the back side of the thermostat housing. The metal sleeve that the hose was connected to had rusted out.

charliekuney
04-05-2010, 09:44 PM
How bad was it to replace?