PDA

View Full Version : Gas smell from interior of car

Sabs '87 LX
04-07-2010, 08:58 AM
How's it going everyone. I have a 1987 Honda Accord LX. Recentley when I have been driving I would get this nauseating gas smell from inside my car. I have no idea what the problem is. Also my car will sputter like it can't breathe. (If that makes sense), and then it will die. But once I get the car going over 40MPH it's good, but when I come to a light it will sputter and die. I don't know if the problems are linked to one another or not. Some help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

greentee76
04-07-2010, 01:17 PM
Is your driverside front floor wet at all? There are fuel lines that come into the cab through the firewall down by where your left foot would be when you are driving, and then go up and hide under the door sill plates. I had one of the lines get rusty and start to leak in the cab. I had to replace the section of line. The stalling could also be related to this if fuel pressure is dropping due to a leak.
The stalling sounds more like a vacuum leak issue to me.

Sabs '87 LX
04-09-2010, 04:21 PM
Sorry it took long to reply. But I checked the floor on the drivers side I even tried to smell it and the there was no gas smell. I forgot to mention the smell and the sputtering happen together. My car has'nt sputtered in a week or two. I just don't know what cuases it to happen. And how do I check if I have a vacuum leak? Where do I start?

Thanks