PDA

View Full Version : Obd1 code 17

Strugglebucket
04-07-2010, 02:22 PM
So I've been running my car obd1 for a while now and everything's great except I keep getting a code 17. The strange part is that I only get it when I rev up to redline. I can drive normal all day long and never get the code, but right when I redline it I get a solid cel.

I have modified the vss wire to be tapped off of the speed pulse wire with a 6k resistor. I did not install a diode on the cruise wire since I do not have cruise and I long ago removed the module. Is the diode needed even if I don't have cruise? Or is not having the cruise module causing a problem? And why am I only getting the code when I redline?:nuts:

LX-incredible
04-08-2010, 09:11 AM
I removed my cruise module as well. I didn't use a resistor or diode. Never got a VSS code.

Are you getting the code at different speeds?

If you wound up using the auto ecu, there may be some speed/rpm issue due to the lack of a electronically controlled trans. I doubt it though... More likely to be a bad connection behind the cluster or the pulser/speedo itself

Strugglebucket
04-08-2010, 03:49 PM
Hmm. So maybe I should have just left it alone?

I'll try switching it back to stock and see what happens. I get it at different speeds and I don't think it's a bad connection because I did a really nice job soldering the wiring. The ecu is the auto pr4 but I had it converted to manual when it was chipped.

I did notice that my cluster's harness has an additional wire that isn't in the pic that guaynabo89 put with his diagram.

LX-incredible
04-08-2010, 10:23 PM
Maybe. I'm pretty sure that fix is only useful if you keep cruise control.

Strugglebucket
04-09-2010, 02:41 PM
I put the wiring back to stock and that fixed it.

I wonder if the 88/89s have a different vss output compared to the 86/87s.

MessyHonda
04-12-2010, 11:32 PM
I put the wiring back to stock and that fixed it.

I wonder if the 88/89s have a different vss output compared to the 86/87s.

wonder is guyanabo had a 86-87 cluster?

ok so i wont do this on my obd1 swap...thanks for the input

AccordEpicenter
04-13-2010, 07:15 PM
which diagram did guayanabo have? Can u post it?

Edit: Did you run wires that were individually shielded from the dizzy to the ecu?

LX-incredible
04-13-2010, 08:21 PM
Crank position sensor wires were run with 2 conductor shielded cable.

Strugglebucket
04-13-2010, 09:05 PM
Here's the diagram from this thread:
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62375&page=3

These next couple of pictures are for the vss issue. If you do not get a cel dont worry about it. but if you do you must use the speed pulser output from behind the gauge cluster to the ecu vss input. You must use the speed pulser instead of the stock accord vss signal. Once you swap the speed pulser output to the vss wire behind the gauge sluster you must get a 6k resistor to wire in to get the correct polarity vss signal.

Anyway heres a couple of pics that will ease the install.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v499/sinnedone/vss.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v499/sinnedone/DSC000171.jpg

Hash_man_Se_i
02-26-2012, 10:45 PM
Well fuck me.... I have this VSS issue as well, but only seems to come on after slowing in gear. Wish I had found this thread earlier... I just replaced my speed sensor in my trans which actually helped me solve my power steering leak, but still get the CEL.

I removed cruise with my swap... just want to confirm that this fix ^^^ minus the diode to the cruise will fix this issue?

BTW, I am running an OBD1 integra LS ecu w my b20b.

A18A
02-26-2012, 11:40 PM
Well fuck me.... I have this VSS issue as well, but only seems to come on after slowing in gear.

I get the VSS error when using the gears to slow down too, with my obd1 ecu. I haven't modified my speedo yet though, so maybe that's why?

MessyHonda
03-03-2012, 06:10 PM
lol i also have the code when i slow down...damn our clusters for not having a electronic signal for the ECU. my plan was to raid a 94-95 DA clusters and put the guts into our cluster since my reverse glow gauges died on me :(

A18A
03-03-2012, 06:35 PM
i butchered a cd accord speedo into mine (also so i can get rid of that cable)
would look factory if i done a better job on the trip meter hole
http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/4020/2583207medium2.jpg

Rendon LX-i
09-10-2012, 08:16 PM
Well sob I have a code period lol. I don't really understand how to do this mod. Picture seems confusing. I have a 86

lostforawhile
09-10-2012, 09:58 PM
someone correct that diode in the diagram,it's not a zener diode it's a plain old diode, it's just to help keep a clean signal to the cruise control unit is all, if the cruise isn't hooked up it does nothing, if you follow it it simply goes to a trace for the plug on the circuit board,that connection goes directly to the cruise brain, I don't think it would matter what cluster you had as long as the cruise got a clean pulse signal, it doesn't measure speed, it compares the number of pulses over time that it captured when you pressed set, and compares them to the real time pulses coming from the speedometer head, it's a comparative measurement. in other words it doesn't care if your tire sizes are off, if the speedometer is off,etc, it simply compares x to y and adjusts until they match

Rendon LX-i
09-11-2012, 07:58 AM
thanks for the info lost. I know what it does im just kinda lost on the picture. I see the yellow wire cut and idk where it goes after that. I just dont get the picture. diagram seems confusing. i just need my vss code Gone LOL. so i can Crack MAD TYTE VTEC lol

lostforawhile
09-11-2012, 01:17 PM
the non cruise control clusters actually have the pin missing in the plug, the trace is there for the diode and everything is hooked up, but the diode isn't soldered in, have you tried swapping the speed sensor amplifier box on the back of the cluster? it's separate from the cruise, if it's not working I believe you won't get a vss signal

AccordB20A
09-11-2012, 11:14 PM
i have digital dash and cruise control and with obd1.. no VSS mods i got no error codes.

Digital dash FTW