PDA

View Full Version : Accelerator pedal problem

sfcmikej
04-09-2010, 04:54 PM
86 Lxi. My daughter heard a pop and then the accelerator went to the floor. I thought it would be the throttle cable but it is not the cable that goes to the engine from the pedal. There seems to be a broken cable that is attached to the pedal but I am unsure of where it came from. There is another lever that connects to the throttle cable but I cannot see how this cable would connect to it.

My Haynes manual has nothing useful in it regarding this problem. Anyone know of a source that might show how this is supposed to be or can anyone describe how it is supposed to be. Perhaps a part name that I can go to the store and get that will help figure it out.

Mike Johnston

stephensimmons
04-09-2010, 05:07 PM
86 Lxi. My daughter heard a pop and then the accelerator went to the floor. I thought it would be the throttle cable but it is not the cable that goes to the engine from the pedal. There seems to be a broken cable that is attached to the pedal but I am unsure of where it came from. There is another lever that connects to the throttle cable but I cannot see how this cable would connect to it.

My Haynes manual has nothing useful in it regarding this problem. Anyone know of a source that might show how this is supposed to be or can anyone describe how it is supposed to be. Perhaps a part name that I can go to the store and get that will help figure it out.

Mike Johnston

The onley other cable that it could be is the cruies control one?

russiankid
04-09-2010, 08:51 PM
A broken cruise control cable shouldn't make the pedal go to the floor.

Pico
04-09-2010, 09:09 PM
this might help you out
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/picopop/Misc/13se001_b23.png

AC439
04-09-2010, 10:02 PM
First, are you sure it is not a Toyota ? (kidding)

I have a 86LXi too and I think the throttle pedal is being held up by a spring (I think #6 in the picture). Maybe the spring poped ?

Cable #11 connects to the throttle body. Cable #10 connects to the cruise control. Cable #17 connects between the throttle body and the auto tranny.

If you have someone move the pedal while you watch the throttle body, you can determine if the cable is broken.

-AC

sfcmikej
04-10-2010, 04:44 AM
PICO and AC439

That helps a lot. I think I might have enough info to figure it out now