PDA

View Full Version : Split boot for CV joints

bluesky6
04-11-2010, 06:27 AM
While crawling under the car yesterday, I noticed that one of the outer CV joint boots was damaged.

Has anyone used a split boot as a replacement? If so, would you have the part number handy?

I couldn't find one at JC Whitney. Rockauto claims the Dorman 03607 might fit...

In the meantime, the car is coming together nicely:
- fixed the o-ring and gaskets that were bleeding oil
- dumped the old coolant and changed a bunch of hoses
- Replaced all the on-car replaceable carburetor diaphragms and found that the choke pull-off diaphragm was damaged.
- Replaced sparkplugs

Next up:
- valve lash adjustment
- valve cover gasket
- oil pan gasket

The last two in the name of leak control...
- valve

lostforawhile
04-11-2010, 06:56 AM
waste of time, those boots don't work, at least not for long, and by this time there's already grit in the joint. it's just a matter of time until it fails. Get a good rebuild or a new axle assembly. Try Napa or Oreilies, don't buy one from advance or autozone, or the cheap chain stores. those split boots are supposed to be an emergency fix in the event you run over something and tear the boot, they don't stay on very long, if you caught it right when it tore it would last long enough to get a new boot.

Dr_Snooz
04-11-2010, 06:59 AM
That's some nice work there. I've never used the split boots myself, but I've heard bad things about them. They don't seal right, etc.

I haven't figured out the best approach to CV boots. Replacing them is such a mess that I'm more inclined to ignore them until the axle is shot. That's still a mess, but maybe a little less so than replacing the boot.

lostforawhile
04-11-2010, 07:03 AM
While crawling under the car yesterday, I noticed that one of the outer CV joint boots was damaged.

Has anyone used a split boot as a replacement? If so, would you have the part number handy?

I couldn't find one at JC Whitney. Rockauto claims the Dorman 03607 might fit...

In the meantime, the car is coming together nicely:
- fixed the o-ring and gaskets that were bleeding oil
- dumped the old coolant and changed a bunch of hoses
- Replaced all the on-car replaceable carburetor diaphragms and found that the choke pull-off diaphragm was damaged.
- Replaced sparkplugs

Next up:
- valve lash adjustment
- valve cover gasket
- oil pan gasket

The last two in the name of leak control...
- valve
don't forget the oil filter base gasket. it's about a 2 dollar gasket dealer only. you take off the sender, take out three bolts and it comes out. take off the oil filter first of course.

bluesky6
04-18-2010, 02:54 PM
Thanks, guys.

I'm not spending too much $ on the car just yet. So will probably stick with the split boots for now.

lostforawhile
04-18-2010, 03:12 PM
Thanks, guys.

I'm not spending too much $ on the car just yet. So will probably stick with the split boots for now.

A rebuilt axle assembly isn't that much, and at least you know it won't leave you stranded. before you replace anything check your motor mounts etc, if the engine has too much play the boots can rip from over extension of the joint. same goes for a shot out suspension.

LX-incredible
04-18-2010, 09:23 PM
That's some nice work there. I've never used the split boots myself, but I've heard bad things about them. They don't seal right, etc.

I haven't figured out the best approach to CV boots. Replacing them is such a mess that I'm more inclined to ignore them until the axle is shot. That's still a mess, but maybe a little less so than replacing the boot.

Slide hammer with a axle nut welded to it. I bought 80 quality outer joints off ebay a while ago. I just install a new outer with the boot. Takes me about 20 minutes now. Not sure if the 1g axles are held together with snap rings like ours...

lostforawhile
04-18-2010, 09:38 PM
I know I tried to put a split boot on an 81, and it was a mess, lasted about a mile before it flew off. I really don't think it's worth the time and effort, best to replace the axle or replace the boot properly.