PDA

View Full Version : suspension question

lostforawhile
04-12-2010, 07:30 PM
I know search search, but everything is so scattered everywhere, I may possibly look at a set of Suspension Techniques 60240 one inch lowering springs, from Summit Racing, I already have a set of prelude front control arms here somewhere, just need to be modified, what would I need to do to the back for a drop that small? I just want to kill a bit of fender gap

Strugglebucket
04-12-2010, 07:53 PM
A 1 inch drop won't change the camber very much, and a little bit of negative camber will help handling. It can also help the tires wear more evenly if you like to corner hard. With a 1 inch drop, I wouldn't bother correcting camber at all. Just get the toe set and enjoy the grip.

If you want everything at 0deg you can shim the uca behind where it bolts to the body, or APC makes an adjustable uca.

BTW, remember that the prelude uca's in front will add positive caster (also good for handling. just watch out if an alignment shop wants to set caster to 0, you will end up with the swaybar endlinks at a funky angle).

MessyHonda
04-13-2010, 12:58 AM
A 1 inch drop won't change the camber very much, and a little bit of negative camber will help handling. It can also help the tires wear more evenly if you like to corner hard. With a 1 inch drop, I wouldn't bother correcting camber at all. Just get the toe set and enjoy the grip.

If you want everything at 0deg you can shim the uca behind where it bolts to the body, or APC makes an adjustable uca.

BTW, remember that the prelude uca's in front will add positive caster (also good for handling. just watch out if an alignment shop wants to set caster to 0, you will end up with the swaybar endlinks at a funky angle).

yeah the 2nd gen lude arms are good...they got my camber from -3.2 to -.7 with 2.5 inch drop

2oodoor
04-13-2010, 05:26 AM
Lost, I was looking at the adjustable upper rear CA made for our cars, it looks like they could be made pretty easy with some heavy duty tie rod ends from like a Ford F350/250. The tie rod end ball socket is surely as strong as those oem balljoints, considering much less wieght there compared to a FS truck...

2oodoor
04-15-2010, 05:57 AM
I saw a 98 prelude in the JY , w disc set up , double wishbone suspension VERY much like ours, has anyone measured or asked about this before?
I would consider the entire assembly swap if it were close enough to weld in anchor pieces.

w261w261
04-15-2010, 06:20 AM
If I understand your post correctly, you have a set of 4 springs (not just the front). And you want to know what to do for the back?

The answer is: put in the springs and leave everything else alone, unless you love working with small detail. A 1" drop can easily be accommodated with the existing geometry. I've run Eibach 1" drop for years, plus on my right front a pothole had banged the mount a bit, so I was -2.7 there. Still no tire wear, no handing problems. A couple of years ago I installed a camber-adjusting UCA mount, but I probably didn't need it. I can't tell the difference.

Just stick in the springs, collect the drop and move on.

lostforawhile
04-15-2010, 06:41 AM
If I understand your post correctly, you have a set of 4 springs (not just the front). And you want to know what to do for the back?

The answer is: put in the springs and leave everything else alone, unless you love working with small detail. A 1" drop can easily be accommodated with the existing geometry. I've run Eibach 1" drop for years, plus on my right front a pothole had banged the mount a bit, so I was -2.7 there. Still no tire wear, no handing problems. A couple of years ago I installed a camber-adjusting UCA mount, but I probably didn't need it. I can't tell the difference.

Just stick in the springs, collect the drop and move on.
I don't have the set yet, I need to put up some money first and find some decent struts, they are back ordered until nearly june anyway. I already have the prelude front arms, just need to make the spacers and rebuild them, so i can improve the camber with those correct?

w261w261
04-15-2010, 11:17 AM
I don't have the set yet, I need to put up some money first and find some decent struts, they are back ordered until nearly june anyway. I already have the prelude front arms, just need to make the spacers and rebuild them, so i can improve the camber with those correct?

Yeah, I understand that you can "improve" the camber with the Prelude arms, but you don't need to, not with only a 1" drop. The drop will only change the camber about 1 degree to the negative. I wouldn't mess with it.

Looking at your post, I think the far bigger issue for you is to get shocks that are matched to the springs. If that doesn't work out well, your ride, and your life, will suffer each time you hit a bump or a fast sweeper.