PDA

View Full Version : Carb to EFI!

1GCustomAccord
04-14-2010, 08:04 AM
This was in another thread, so i started a new topic to fully discuss the mod/experiment. :)
The thing is that i am tired of the Keihin carb, so i will install a complete fuel inyection system in the car.
Mono port inyection or throttle body inyection will be adapted from another car, in this case a Renault R-19 1.6.
WARNING: This is an experiment, and i am doing it knowing the danger of working with a high pressure fuel system, and this thread is for sharing ideas, and not intended to be a guide or something alike. I dont encourage anyone to do this mod, since i dont really know if the experiment will be sucessful.
Anyways, there are some kits to go from carb to EFI but those are proven, well designed kits, engineered especifically for some models, and not an adaptation from another car:
http://www.firstfuelinjection.com/index.html

Yes, it is TBI; some Civics from the late 1980s have a similar system (but I think with two injectors in the throttle body). I saw them in the junkyard.
The O2 sensor goes straight in the exhaust mani BEFORE the cat converter.

1G: why TBI from a R-19? It is a bolt-on where the carburetor sits? Are VWs more common over there, or it is easier to adapt the one you got than one from a VW? Just curious.

TBI was the GM denomination for this system, but every brand named it diferently (Ford CFI, Volkswagen MPI)
I wanted to use a Volkswagen Gol 1.6 inyection system, since this is a common car here, but after some research, i found out that the trottle bore is bigger in the Renault 19 1.6, and big bore to me is = big power, so i chosen the R-19 one.
To perform this i will need an adapter plate OR to change slightly the position of 2 of the manifold studs and create a bigger bore on the intake manifold.
Mods needed in the engine: A place for the pinging sensor and crank/cam position sensor, a piece of exhaust with the correct sensor before the cat, and a temerature sensor for the ECM.
Parts needed: ECM, wiring harness from the donor car, O2 sensor, pinging sensor, MAP sensor, temp sensor, external high pressure fuel pump, filter and lines (maybe i can use the original ones) and inyection body (with inyector, built-in TPS, air temp sensor,fuel pressure regulator and idle control actuator.).
So far i have bought the ECM and harness, inyection body and O2 sensor, so i can start working.
Manifold:
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll144/collomps/Imagen0354.jpg
Inyection unit:
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll144/collomps/Imagen0355.jpg

More pics soon :flash:

AccordB20A
04-14-2010, 03:24 PM
looks like a fun fun project :)

Dr_Snooz
04-14-2010, 07:35 PM
Yikes! I'll pray for you...

ecogabriel
04-14-2010, 08:17 PM
Looks like a very interesting project; there would be a bit of work involved though.

You would need a fuel return line to the tank; since I do not believe that line is pressurized you'll probably be OK with something similar to the OE line. As for the fuel lines AFTER the fuel pump you'll need something more substantial; you can probably source hose for EFI applications and get it cut to size and crimped to your connectors at the pump and TB. Maybe you can use Renault OE lines as you said
I would stick to the same type of OE sensors that came from the donor car.
Crank/cam position sensor? where was originally installed in the R-19? If it was in the distributor, then you can try attaching it to your camshaft. In the 3g Accord they come inside the distributor. do you have a pic of the sensor?
You will need the exact positioning (degrees) in the donor car as the ECU would work for that info...

Good luck.

1GCustomAccord
04-15-2010, 07:49 AM
Ok, there is something i was thinking that could be a problem in the project, and the thing is: DISTRIBUTOR.
Thats because the system was designed to control the ignition advance from the ECU, and i wanted to use the beautiful new distributor i bought :).
Then after some research :idea:, i found out that Fiat uses a distributorless ignition system, with two ignition coils controlled directly by the ECM, so i will discard the Renault idea in favor of the Fiat G6 system, removing the distributor. Another advantage is the use of only one position sensor in the crankshaft, no knock sensor, and no ignition module.

You would need a fuel return line to the tank; since I do not believe that line is pressurized you'll probably be OK with something similar to the OE line. As for the fuel lines AFTER the fuel pump you'll need something more substantial; you can probably source hose for EFI applications and get it cut to size and crimped to your connectors at the pump and TB. Maybe you can use Renault OE lines as you said
I would stick to the same type of OE sensors that came from the donor car.
Crank/cam position sensor? where was originally installed in the R-19? If it was in the distributor, then you can try attaching it to your camshaft. In the 3g Accord they come inside the distributor. do you have a pic of the sensor?
You will need the exact positioning (degrees) in the donor car as the ECU would work for that info...

I will use the original fuel line as a return and add a new one for the pressurized fuel..i have to figure out the best location for the pump as it needs to be constantly feeded with fuel because a pump running dry can die in seconds.
The sensor in the Fiat Palio is located on top of the crank pulley..i can also install it in the window in the flywheel, but the angle in that case can be an issue..
I dont have pics of the Fiat system yet, but i plan on hunting for parts today. :thumbup:

Hazwan
04-15-2010, 12:04 PM
This is something that I would do if I have the money :D

Looks like fun! Keep us updated!

2ndGenGuy
04-15-2010, 01:00 PM
Definitely looks like it's gonna be a cool project. So you're going to mount a trigger wheel and sensor? Is it a toothed trigger wheel setup? Or is there like a magnetic trigger that you can put on the crank pulley that flys around once per second? I'm curious how this setup works. :D PICS!

1GCustomAccord
04-15-2010, 08:13 PM
Definitely looks like it's gonna be a cool project. So you're going to mount a trigger wheel and sensor? Is it a toothed trigger wheel setup? Or is there like a magnetic trigger that you can put on the crank pulley that flys around once per second? I'm curious how this setup works. :D PICS!

Yes, is a toothed thing that has a name in spanish that i forgot :D, it tells the ECM the exact position of the crankshaft, the fiat system uses the toothed thingy with two missing tooths marking the PMS..i need to study the thing closely.
Pics soon :)