PDA

View Full Version : Power comparison between carb and fuel injected - - - How big is it?

Edison Carasio
04-15-2010, 06:28 AM
Ok I have some general questions about the big power differences on an all motor build.

I'm starting with a carb'd engine in this scenerio. I know in STOCK form there is about a 22 hp difference and a 13 ft. lb difference when comparing a carb'd 89 to a fuel injected 89.

Now, I ask when swapping out the stock carb for a Weber 32/36, how close to an injected A20A will that bring me? I understand the internals are the same for these engines with the difference being in the fuel delivery systems, right? I'm just trying to understand if I do take a carb'd A20 and add a Weber carb, cam shaft regrind, Pacesetter header with high flow exhaust and maybe higher compression pistons and compare it to an injected A20 with the same cam, same pistons, same exhaust and an an maybe a short ram intake, how big of a difference would there be between the two in power?

2oodoor
04-15-2010, 07:09 AM
Pretty darn close .. but without dyno proof I am just speculating from my own butt dyno.
I would say you would exceed the lxi if you used a weber 38 and used a dual outlet downpipe exhaust from lxi or just use a tube header.
I discovered a combination of jetting on a 32/36 just this week and got an amazing result. I will post the jets I used soon. It was amazing! Pretty comparable to the 38 and I can say that because it was on the same car without any modifications not even the exhaust mod i recommended.

You would blow the doors off a stock Lxi with the mods you mentioned...

Edison Carasio
04-15-2010, 07:56 AM
I'm motivated again to start working on the car. My girlfreind is pitching in half the money for the axles and clutch work, and is encouraging me to finally get the Prelude seats installed so I'm closer to start actual performance work after the resto work is done. I'm not interested in turbo'ing the A20, so if a modded carb can give me the same results then I'll be happy with just that (for a while lol).

MessyHonda
04-15-2010, 09:16 AM
its all in the tune...just make sure you have proper jets like roodoo said...you can even put a fuel injected cam in yours...maybe grab a adjustable cam gear....you will prob smoke a stock lx-i because you are already lighter