PDA

View Full Version : A/C Charge options

Einstein
05-09-2002, 05:40 PM
OK, so I don't think my A/C works. Actually the whole system didn't work except the fan when I got it. Replaced fuse, now everything works fine. (seller gave me $100 off the price, I put in a 20 cent fuse :p )

If I need a recharge, what is the best option since R12 is obsolete? I've heard of FR12 or something like that. How much will it cost me? If it's too much I just won't drive it on hot days. (It's a drive-to-work/backup car for me)

offthahook
05-09-2002, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Einstein
OK, so I don't think my A/C works. Actually the whole system didn't work except the fan when I got it. Replaced fuse, now everything works fine. (seller gave me $100 off the price, I put in a 20 cent fuse :p )

If I need a recharge, what is the best option since R12 is obsolete? I've heard of FR12 or something like that. How much will it cost me? If it's too much I just won't drive it on hot days. (It's a drive-to-work/backup car for me)
I have FR12 in mine and does fine. I guess 134 overworks our compressors and they crap out early. FR12 is kinda combo between different gasses. Check out aircondition.com FMI.

Einstein
05-10-2002, 06:08 AM
Thanks for the link. :cool:

I tried the A/C this morning after changing fuse #5. Seems to work just OK (not real cold).

I'll look into my options and find something compatible to top off with so it works really well.

dosh8er
05-10-2002, 06:14 AM
could someone possibly give me a run down of what exactly I would need to do this FR-12?

Is it necessary to retrofit the old fittings on the high/low sides to the new style? And another thing, If i replace those fittings, then I can just add oil by pouring it in where I replaced the fitting?

This FR-12 stuff sounds good.

Lester Lugnut
05-10-2002, 09:23 PM
I'll assume by FR-12 that you mean Freeze 12. If not, ignore my post.

Freeze-12 is 80% R-134A and 20% R142B.

R-12 is 100% R-12. R-12 is not obsolete. You do need a 609 certification to buy it and in many areas, credentials beyond the 609. If a garage says it's obsolete, what they're really saying is that none of their techs are qualified to handle it.