PDA

View Full Version : Whats harder to do?

JordanQ
04-18-2010, 09:40 PM
whats more difficult/time consuming?

Swap a 5 speed out of a sedan into a hatch?

or swap an A20A1-2 out of a hatch, into a sedan? (that had an A20a1-2)

i may have found either a nice parts car, or a nice car to have, and to use my car as a parts car for.

A18A
04-18-2010, 09:53 PM
do you mean swapping a gearbox from 1 car to another as opposed to swapping the whole engine? I find it easier to swap whole engines with gearboxes attached

JordanQ
04-18-2010, 10:14 PM
do you mean swapping a gearbox from 1 car to another as opposed to swapping the whole engine? I find it easier to swap whole engines with gearboxes attached

swapping gearboxes and keeping engines in the car they are in.

or swapping engines and keeping gearboxes(ditto)?

2oodoor
04-19-2010, 08:06 AM
it does not matter which one you do first but which ever one you do second will be twice as easy

turabaka
04-19-2010, 10:32 AM
I'm gonna say swap the 5 speed into the hatch. may not be easier, but hatches are definitely cooler. Is this hatch the one you're talking about buying from another member on IMS?

JordanQ
04-19-2010, 06:40 PM
no its one i've found locally for insanely cheap!

if anyone plays guitar and wants a nice powerful amp lmk!

or if anyone wants TWO SLIM PSP'S!!

sorry for the spam i'm just so desperate!

Dr_Snooz
04-19-2010, 06:50 PM
Engine swaps are way more work, considering you have to pull the trans along with the engine. Swap the trannies.

JordanQ
04-19-2010, 06:59 PM
Engine swaps are way more work, considering you have to pull the trans along with the engine. Swap the trannies.

heres what i'm thinking

car A has a bad engine, but a good transmission

car B has a good engine but a bad transmission

the engines in both car A and B are both carbed. (i think, i haven't bought car b yet)

BUT car B is an auto, and car A is a manual.

whichever way i swap, i want a car with the manual transmission (because the auto is bad).

but would it be easier to just keep the good transmission in car A and swap engines? or should i just put car A's transmission in car B?

ghettogeddy
04-19-2010, 07:25 PM
its prolly goona be the same amount of work
buy your gona have to buy more fluids for a motor swap vs a tranny swap so in the price department auto to manual seeing as you will have everything you need to do it and all you will have to do is buy some 10 w 30

JordanQ
04-19-2010, 07:57 PM
cool. it isn't too difficult getting a manual tranny into a car that had an auto?

ghettogeddy
04-19-2010, 08:10 PM
cool. it isn't too difficult getting a manual tranny into a car that had an auto?

im not saying its not hard
but its prolly easier then pulling the whole motor
ask pico hes done both

JordanQ
04-19-2010, 08:13 PM
im not saying its not hard
but its prolly easier then pulling the whole motor
ask pico hes done both

wow.. so let me get this straight, converting a car to 5 speed from auto is less difficult than swapping in the same engine that came out?

2ndGenGuy
04-19-2010, 08:30 PM
The easiest thing to do is to take the engine and transmission out of both cars, and swap the transmissions around on the engines OUT of the car, and put them back in as a unit anyways. So take them both out, put the good engine and trans together, figure out which body you like better, and make sure the appropriate axles, pedals, and gauges are in the appropriate cars. The 5 speed swap is a piece of cake if you've got all that stuff out of your car anyways.

1ajs
04-19-2010, 09:17 PM
the hardest part would be swaping ur pedals out

A18A
04-19-2010, 10:24 PM
The easiest thing to do is to take the engine and transmission out of both cars, and swap the transmissions around on the engines OUT of the car, and put them back in as a unit anyways. So take them both out, put the good engine and trans together, figure out which body you like better, and make sure the appropriate axles, pedals, and gauges are in the appropriate cars. The 5 speed swap is a piece of cake if you've got all that stuff out of your car anyways.
agreed

the hardest part would be swaping ur pedals out

agreed

carotman
04-20-2010, 04:40 AM
Taking the engine out is way more more work!

You have to drain the coolant and fill it up after.
You have to remove engine mounts, some vacuum lines and the fuel lines.
You also have to unbolt the stuck/rusted exhaust bolts.

1ajs
04-20-2010, 10:56 AM
Taking the engine out is way more more work!

You have to drain the coolant and fill it up after.
You have to remove engine mounts, some vacuum lines and the fuel lines.
You also have to unbolt the stuck/rusted exhaust bolts.
no u just unbolt the header