PDA

View Full Version : Optima Yellow Top battery

Edison Carasio
04-20-2010, 07:22 AM
I was thinking of getting an Optima Yellow top for my 89 LX. But is this battery too much for my car? It's just a stock 89 LX that I'm doing just restoring right now. Should I just go with a traditional battery or the Optima Yellow Top? Or do you think the Yellow top is more than I need?

ghettogeddy
04-20-2010, 07:25 AM
depends on what you want to do they def last a hell of a lot longer and if you have a stereo system def dont drain fast

Edison Carasio
04-20-2010, 07:27 AM
Won't do much other than replace the head unit and speakers to some that work. No heavy duty system or anything.

Oldblueaccord
04-20-2010, 07:29 AM
Yeah I have one in a few cars. I can't remember what group # I have but I did have to make a hold down for it the stock one wont work. They usually run a little higher voltage then a standard car battery which I like and they can be discharged with out damage alot more.

Only draw back is there price and there heavy.

wp

Edison Carasio
04-20-2010, 07:40 AM
I was thinking of getting one cuz in the last carb'd car I owned, if it flooded and I tried cranking too much, the battery would die and then I'd be stuck. though the Yellow top would be more resistant to that.

nswst8
04-20-2010, 07:59 AM
Odyssey 1200 is what I put in both of my 89s. I ordered from amazon. It's more expensive but it is also a better built battery.

I had a Optima red top that just gave out after 8 years of reliable service. But everyone expressed their concern after the company moved to Mexico.

I tried the Kinetic, shipping and warranty sucked.

Odyssey has a fantastic shipping box for their batteries. And their warranty is as good and better as any other battery in their catagory on the market.

LX-incredible
04-20-2010, 08:18 AM
Odyssey makes a damn good battery. I have an ATV battery by them in one of my cars. Never had a problem starting; even after driving on a bad alt. Thing is amazing for it's size and weight.

I've gone through quite a few optima red tops under warranty. They don't seem to handle the heat very well.

Edison Carasio
04-20-2010, 09:02 AM
Hmmmm I'll keep looking at other batteries. I need to see if I still have my battery hold down as I have a habit of removing them and losing them. =/

ShyBoyCA6
04-20-2010, 09:14 AM
Check out the thread "well time for a new battery" we talk about it there and figure what batterys are good or bad and have specs