PDA

View Full Version : I'm not very suspension savy.. help?

JordanQ
04-21-2010, 08:45 AM
well like i posted in bumblebee's thread, i screwed my hub when the wheel came off.

two wheel studs broke off, and it slid on the hub for a bit. i think my brake disc might be okay, and the suspension is alright. but the studs are snapped.

is this all i need?

i'm not exactly sure what to replace without looking at the car. is it this?:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FRONT-HUB-BEARING-REPAIR-KIT-HONDA-86-89-ACCORD-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1e44a53ba5QQitemZ13000 0698277QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

heres the damage :(

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/4566/saccident.jpg

stephensimmons
04-21-2010, 09:00 AM
If the rotor is ok then why dont you just take rotor off the hub and take a hammer and knock the studs out and go to the parts store and get some new stuts and knock them back in? And replace all 4 because if you dont the other two may come off because they could be cracked

stat1K
04-21-2010, 10:44 AM
the rotor is most certainly not ok after grinding into the ground from a wheel coming off.

your threads make 3geezus cry.

JordanQ
04-21-2010, 06:39 PM
atleast i own a 3gee.

thanks stephensimmons, i'm gunna go jack it up and see if i can see any rotor damage,

Dr_Snooz
04-21-2010, 08:50 PM
If the rotor is ok then why dont you just take rotor off the hub and take a hammer and knock the studs out and go to the parts store and get some new stuts and knock them back in? And replace all 4 because if you dont the other two may come off because they could be cracked

x2. Your hub is probably fine so you're just wasting money buying another one. Anyway, you're going to need that money for a new rotor and probably a new lower ball joint. Maybe a knuckle is you aren't lucky and from the looks of things, you're not.

What happened here anyway? Did someone forget to tighten the lug nuts?

JordanQ
04-22-2010, 06:42 AM
x2. Your hub is probably fine so you're just wasting money buying another one. Anyway, you're going to need that money for a new rotor and probably a new lower ball joint. Maybe a knuckle is you aren't lucky and from the looks of things, you're not.

What happened here anyway? Did someone forget to tighten the lug nuts?

thanks

and yes thats exactly what happened

stat1K
04-22-2010, 07:04 AM
lol at least i know how to tigthen lugnuts.

why get defensive? so far you've had bad lug with your 3g hence the 3geezus comment.

if your wheel fell off and your rotor slammed into the ground with the weight of the cars front end it is more than likely not fine, even if it passes a visual inspection it's a pretty important part of your car to NOT replace, especially given the price of a rotor at an autozone or napa... i'm just saying i wouldn't take the chance even if it looked good. it's your car though man.

on a side note, it's too bad i don't have 275 or i'd take that peavey head you're selling lol.

JordanQ
04-22-2010, 08:28 AM
yeah sorry haha. anyways, i'm gunna go to my local JY and ask them about an a-engine. they have a few 3geez. after all i only need a long block. no mani's. just kinda throwin this out there, how much would you be able to get for that head? i'd take as little as i could. as you can tell its more of a matter that i need the money apposed to i want to get alot.apart from that, do you think a rotor and hub assembly woould be somethin i could score from this salvage yard, or am i better off not risking it and buyin new?

thanks guys.

JordanQ
04-22-2010, 08:36 AM

why get defensive? so far you've had bad lug with your 3g hence the 3geezus comment.

if your wheel fell off and your rotor slammed into the ground with the weight of the cars front end it is more than likely not fine, even if it passes a visual inspection it's a pretty important part of your car to NOT replace, especially given the price of a rotor at an autozone or napa... i'm just saying i wouldn't take the chance even if it looked good. it's your car though man.

on a side note, it's too bad i don't have 275 or i'd take that peavey head you're selling lol.

i wasn't the one that swapped the wheels BTW. so atleast you know how to not let your friends leave the lugs loose.

stat1K
04-22-2010, 08:48 AM
oh i know it wasn't you it was a joke. honestly i spent all my money on bills and my new guitar so i couldn't offer anything at the moment for the head, but if memory serves me they're about 400 new. have you tried listing it on craigslist at all? it's too bad you don't need any civic parts or ecu's i have plenty of those lol... i know that the upullit yards charge 150 for a long block bare... so it shouldn't cost you more than that.

stat1K
04-22-2010, 08:49 AM
oh and no i wouldn't use a junkyard rotor and hub they're typically rusted out, and if you get the spindle with the hub attached the wheel bearings are typically shot, but you may be able to find a whole spindle with little to no play in the hub and lower ball joint, it's worth a look if it's in good shape and has possibly been replaced recently, sometimes that's the case with the 3g.

Accordian88
04-22-2010, 08:54 AM
i say replace the studs. if the new rotor is too much $ get a junk one thats in decent shape. riding on the rotor,even a little is not good.

LX-incredible
04-22-2010, 08:58 AM

:rolleyes: Right...

JordanQ
04-22-2010, 08:59 AM
oh i know it wasn't you it was a joke. honestly i spent all my money on bills and my new guitar so i couldn't offer anything at the moment for the head, but if memory serves me they're about 400 new. have you tried listing it on craigslist at all? it's too bad you don't need any civic parts or ecu's i have plenty of those lol... i know that the upullit yards charge 150 for a long block bare... so it shouldn't cost you more than that.

thats good news

thanks everyone!
i'll keep you updated on what i find today

stat1K
04-22-2010, 10:17 AM
:rolleyes: Right...

ahahahahahhahahahahah dick.

LX-incredible
04-22-2010, 11:54 AM
At least you put all 4 lugnuts on...

If 2 studs snapped and the wheel fell off, someone missed the other 2.

stat1K
04-22-2010, 01:58 PM
At least you put all 4 lugnuts on...

If 2 studs snapped and the wheel fell off, someone missed the other 2.

in all fairness this was after 12 hours straight of motor swappage at 4am :)

Dr_Snooz
04-22-2010, 06:35 PM
yeah sorry haha. anyways, i'm gunna go to my local JY and ask them about an a-engine. they have a few 3geez. after all i only need a long block. no mani's. just kinda throwin this out there, how much would you be able to get for that head? i'd take as little as i could. as you can tell its more of a matter that i need the money apposed to i want to get alot.apart from that, do you think a rotor and hub assembly woould be somethin i could score from this salvage yard, or am i better off not risking it and buyin new?

thanks guys.

You really want to get under your car to see what you need before writing out the shopping list. If you buy a knuckle but end up really needing a lower control arm and not a knuckle, you're not going to be happy.

stephensimmons
04-22-2010, 06:35 PM
in all fairness this was after 12 hours straight of motor swappage at 4am :)

That will do it everytime!!!!!!!!!!!

Hauntd ca3
04-22-2010, 06:55 PM
perfect reason for checking everything again after some sleep eh.
wheel studs are easy to replace and rotors are to.
perfect excuse to put new pads in it and give the front end a good inspection

stat1K
04-23-2010, 05:24 AM
That will do it everytime!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah when me and lx-incredible did that on my wifes car (the event in question of my ability to tighten lugs) we dropped the chain at 4am and my stupid neighbor called the cops, it was pretty funny... the cop basically accused us of being on meth lol... then when he drove away he said, SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

next morning we woke up and finished the stuff on the car, we went to test drive it and it was making this noise and we were like WTF??? got back home after a 2 block drive and checked everything, right side lugs were loose lol... but like he said i put all four on, just didn't tighten all four.

if you leave some off this kind of thing will happen.

k back to topic, just had to clarify our joke lol....

Civic Accord Honda
04-23-2010, 03:01 PM
this thread scares me i have a striped out stud ><

markmdz89hatch
04-24-2010, 09:31 AM
i'm kinda with Statik on this one..

I always try to be more safe than sorry, and tend to replace more than needed. IMO, that rotor is almost definitely needing to be replaced. Instead of replacing the studs, I'd just spring for the full hub/bearing assembly with new studs.

If you're on a budget, I'd just go pick up a loaded knuckle with a good hub and good looking studs with a good boot on the lower ball-joint. Check for play on the bearing before you take the wheel off too. ...then at least it'll buy you some time and you'll have a spare knuckle to rebuild (new hub assembly, new lower ball joint) when you get the $$.