PDA

View Full Version : I Need 3Geez Expertise to help with my motor issues!!

boost addict
04-21-2010, 01:43 PM
Hi there, I drive an 88 EX-i sedan, and I'm having some serious issues with the engine. Basically, I'm getting hesitations and sometimes very bad knocking, when the engine is under load between 2000 and 3000 rpm. I'm not sure where to start, and the problem seems to be getting worse and worse. Can somebody please point me in the right direction?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

w261w261
04-21-2010, 02:21 PM
"Knocking," as in knocking on a door (like a connecting rod) or knocking, as in bad pinging, like pre-ignition? Better the latter than the former. If it's pinging, try some high-test gas as an experiment and see if it gets better.

If it's serious internal banging, that would be your engine telling you it's going to head south for the summer.

boost addict
04-21-2010, 03:48 PM
The sound that happens between 2000 and 3000 rpm sounds like a cross between a balloon popping and a knock on a wooden door, and is always accompanied by a hesitation...

But the car also does ping (pre-ignition) at very low rpms under load (ex. accelerating from idle in second gear).

kentwat
04-21-2010, 07:50 PM
Detonation isn't good for bearings. How long have you had issues with detonation? Have you tried higher octane fuel? What are your motor specs. Boost?!? Inquiring minds want to know.

1987AccordLx-i
04-25-2010, 08:30 AM
if possible... make a vid of it and post it... but it sounds like your cars trying to backfire or is suffering pre-ignition... seriously bad for the motor... have you done a tune up? what is the fuel ratings were you live? our cars accept 87octane good... if its lower then that then thats your pinging problem... the knocking problem.. its hard to tell with just words.. if we get a vid tho we can tell exactly what it is