PDA

View Full Version : 88 carbed auto trans problem

stangrcr1
04-21-2010, 04:19 PM
I am posting this for a buddy, so don't rag me for lack of details. I also searched, but all I found for trans issues was 4th gear problems.

What I know is when he got the car, it would not shift to 2nd gear. He could rev 1st pretty high and then he said it shifts to 3rd. He yanked that tranny and went to te JY and got another that had supposedly been rebuilt like 25k ago.

This trans does the same thing. No second gear. I am wondering if this is a fluid issue similar to the 4th gear problems I read about, or the throttle cable to trans. I do not know what fluid he put in it after he got it from the JY.

I think it is very strange that both trans do the same thing. That is what makes me think something external to the trans.

Any ideas?

CzEcHy
04-21-2010, 04:29 PM
In an auto it only shifts to 25 mph and doesn't rev high, but second and third rev to 5000 rpm (for my 88 carb'd auto)..

Maybe its in second when he thinks it isn't <.<?

stangrcr1
04-21-2010, 04:43 PM
Like I said, I do not have a lot of details on this car.

It is entirely possible that it is in 2nd, but what would cause the high rev before shifting to 3rd?

He says he has to rev it high to get it to shift, otherwise it won't shift and he thinks it is stuck in 1st.

Two auto trans with the same problem?

I can and have swapped around accord/integra/prelude gears into one manual case, but I don't know the autos. He asked me because I spend a lot of time working on these 2g preludes/3g Accords, but like I said, I don't know much about the autos.

I have to admit, I have not seen this car yet. I got the phone call and am trying to help a freind.

All help appreciated.

2oodoor
04-21-2010, 04:58 PM
tv cable adjustment, crucial to these cars and it has to be set inside a parameter of shifting thru forth and then staying in lock up around 62mph without hunting.
any time you make a change to the idle, or something that improved off throttle response like a tune up will require the tv to need adjusting to match it.

stangrcr1
04-21-2010, 05:43 PM
tv cable adjustment, crucial to these cars and it has to be set inside a parameter of shifting thru forth and then staying in lock up around 62mph without hunting.
any time you make a change to the idle, or something that improved off throttle response like a tune up will require the tv to need adjusting to match it.

Thanks. I figured it has to be something external to the trans or the fluid.

I have a Chiltons that explains the TV adjustment somewhat. Is there a better procedure?

A20A1
04-21-2010, 09:03 PM

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40885

http://www.3geez.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3984

don't over-tighten the TV cable or it will pull against the throttle cable and prevent it from reaching WOT.

The TV cable is either on the carb or the pedal assembly.

stangrcr1
04-22-2010, 04:19 PM
Excellent info. Thanks.

Now to figure out how to tell him to do it over the phone.....