PDA

View Full Version : flippy headlight issue....

Spectre07
04-21-2010, 10:56 PM
I have looked through the forum and have had no luck so here i am lol. My headlights will not go down on my 89 LX. if i manually put them down, they go up when i turn them on, but they just wont go down when i shut them off. any secret button or hand signal i am missing? or is it some type of electrical issue?

Thanks!!!

Vanilla Sky
04-22-2010, 04:20 AM
There's a switch to the right of the steering wheel. It's in a cluster of 3 switches. If it goes bad, the lights will stay up.

Spectre07
04-22-2010, 09:01 AM
the dimmer switch seems to be working right, any other ideas?

Bglad420
04-22-2010, 10:17 AM
It's not the dimmer switch, its an overide to have your headlights up with them off.

YGBman23
04-29-2010, 12:02 PM
A few years back the battery was placed in the car backwards with the polarity switched. Of course this immediately blew the battery fuse but a side effect was that the headlights would not flip up. I replaced the headlight control module (behind the internal fuse panel) but still the same issue. I could manually rotate them down and they would come up when headlights were turned on. A few weeks ago I finally decide to track down the issue.

As the previous poster mentioned my problem was with headlight up/down switch (first switch in the 3 switch cluster on the dash to the right of the steering wheel.) I found that I could use a small wire to test continuity across the connector pins for the up down function of the lights through trial and error so I new it had to be a problem with the circuit board itself. After closer inspection it was clear there was a thin trace wire on the small circuit board for the switch that had been fried. Not wanting to buy or find a new one just to fix this tiny piece of cooper I used a conductive pen (from radio shack) to redraw the trace line. Took some time and patience to repair the board by hand but the lights now work perfectly.