PDA

View Full Version : Replacing power steering pump

nfs480
04-22-2010, 12:46 PM
My power steering pump leaks like a sieve and so i'm planning on replacing it. However, looking at O'reilly's website they list two different kinds of power steering pumps, one with "1 flat on shaft" and another with "2 flats on shaft." What does this mean and which should I purchase? Thanks.

Hauntd ca3
04-22-2010, 06:42 PM
the 1 or 2 flats will just be how the pulley is located on the shaft.
you will have to pull your pump off and remove the pulley nut and you will be able to see which you have.
makes it easier if you can take the pump with you to the parts place awell

DBMaster
04-23-2010, 08:07 AM
The pump really only leaks due to worn out seals. I would just get the seals plus the shaft seal and your pump ought to be good to go. I did that with mine a few years ago due to leaks.

lostforawhile
04-23-2010, 08:39 AM
don't replace, just rebuild, advance carried the kit, it's really really easy. the main thing is to keep the two rotors in the correct order when you take them out, you can install them backwards. the pump is nothing more then an oil pump inside. the only issue with the kit that i found, is on the PS pump where the outlet unbolts from the pump, the O ring for that was incorrect. I just went to Nappa and got a Nitrile O ring, cost me 50 cents.

nfs480
04-23-2010, 02:18 PM
I think i'll just rebuild it, I was only going to replace it because i thought that'd be easier but with this whole 1 or 2 flat thing it's starting to sound easier just to rebuild it. It's pretty corroded though and my only concern is braking bolts, but I guess i'll just have to be careful. Looks like O'Reilly's also carries a rebuild kit, maybe their's will come with all the proper O-Rings.