PDA

View Full Version : Re-using headgasket.

mushroom_toy
04-23-2010, 12:03 PM
Ok well i havent turned over the engine, it hasnt ran or anything, just put the head on, and now I need to take it off again to put my springs on, and do a little porting. Will i be okay using the headgasket that I put on? It was brand new.

Edison Carasio
04-23-2010, 12:05 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! ANY time you seperate the block and head you MUST use a new head gasket. This is what I've always been told and always read.

Edit: After rereading that you haven't started it up, I would honestly get another one either way. Better safe than sorry. I'm sure even putting it between the block and head and then removing it, will be enough stress to make it worth buying another.

A18A
04-23-2010, 12:28 PM
though i doubt you'll have any problems reusing it, everyone's gonna say to get a new one for that extra piece of mind lol

cygnus x-1
04-23-2010, 12:50 PM
Hmmm, you *might* get away with it if it hasn't been on there very long and adhered to the head/block surfaces. No way to tell without pulling it off and inspecting. Is there no way to get the springs on without removing the head? Stuff some rope in through the spark plug hole and raise the piston until it compresses enough to hold the valve up.

C|

mushroom_toy
04-23-2010, 01:22 PM
Hmmm, you *might* get away with it if it hasn't been on there very long and adhered to the head/block surfaces. No way to tell without pulling it off and inspecting. Is there no way to get the springs on without removing the head? Stuff some rope in through the spark plug hole and raise the piston until it compresses enough to hold the valve up.

C|

Was gonna do that but, Dont have the crank pulley or nut attached. Wa gonna use the rope trick, but dont have the pulley nut on yet, guess I could put it on.

The hg has been on for maybe 3 weeks.

Civic Accord Honda
04-23-2010, 03:53 PM
if it was an old motor id say reuse ... being a new motor i wouldn't want to chance gumming it up with engine butter that shit is a bitch to clean out

Dr_Snooz
04-23-2010, 07:11 PM
I can tell you from personal experience that it will not seal properly. That part is so hard to get to when it's all back together and takes so much abuse. You're putting so much work into it, it would be a shame to get it all back together and have to drive around with a bottle of coolant in the trunk.

AccordB20A
04-23-2010, 08:19 PM
ive always had problems with re using head gaskets when ive ben mucking around with motors, most gaskets are a crush type where when you torque the head it crushes down for a good seal, if you re use it theres nothing no crush so it wont hold as well

guaynabo89
04-24-2010, 04:24 AM
like stated before, the headgasket compresses. I'd just get anothee one man. No need to risk it for 40 bucks.

mushroom_toy
04-24-2010, 10:06 AM
Alright well I guess if I take the head off Ill just get another gasket. :(

Johnny O
04-24-2010, 02:15 PM
well if you have no run time you can do but i would spray it with hylmar or copper spray it should work. I have reused a gasket but i really had to but a coated it.

AccordEpicenter
04-24-2010, 08:03 PM
Alright well I guess if I take the head off Ill just get another gasket. :(

Really dude, replace it. If it was MLS type or copper, you could reuse it but composite... no

MessyHonda
04-25-2010, 12:25 AM
lol....funny thread...its like reusing a condom...never ever sir

labeledsk8r
04-25-2010, 12:30 AM

lol sounds like he found that one out witha personal experience

mushroom_toy
04-25-2010, 07:36 AM
^Thats why his sn is "messy" honda hahah. Thats how it got messy haha.

2oodoor
04-25-2010, 05:10 PM
this one got gross pretty quick, dayum...
how about graphite HG? one I used from rock auto looked like it could be used again if it werent run.
if I were you I would not try it at this point, it could slow you down in progress. You can always go back with a worked head later this year and feel better about it. It isnt that bad, you wont have to do the crank pully or much clean up if you do it later this year.

Yes copper coat spray does work, just dont expect miracles if you used compression type HG.

Bglad420
04-25-2010, 05:36 PM

You just have to rinse them and turn them inside out...good to go round 2.