PDA

View Full Version : 1986 accord lx-i. PGM light on.. How to fix code 6?

HarryJ331
04-24-2010, 02:52 PM
How goes it?

Just recently checked the ECU and it blinks 6 times. Engine coolant temperature.. Could it be a bad sensor? How do you replace that one? Also..I do have issues with start up sometime, but lately it's been okay.. Should I just replace/repair the main relay anyway? I know that's a very common problem with this vehicle. And lastly, I do get a rich gas smell, out of a full tank i average about 320 miles. Appreciate any answers yall can throw my way. :):dunno:

1987AccordLx-i
04-24-2010, 04:49 PM
How goes it?

Just recently checked the ECU and it blinks 6 times. Engine coolant temperature.. Could it be a bad sensor? How do you replace that one? Also..I do have issues with start up sometime, but lately it's been okay.. Should I just replace/repair the main relay anyway? I know that's a very common problem with this vehicle. And lastly, I do get a rich gas smell, out of a full tank i average about 320 miles. Appreciate any answers yall can throw my way. :):dunno:

first off, WELCOME TO THE SITE! and to answer your question yeah its fixable.. you just need to replace the ECT sensor or (Engine Coolant Temp) sensor... its on the t-stat housing.. i forgot the color of the sensor cuz i have an 89 and it has a different system then yours... hopefully someone else will jump in on the subject. and the main relay is a common problem with our cars, i just re-soldered all the contact points and i havnt had a problem since.. but i do warn.. you have to be a bit experienced with soldering because you dont want to burn the control board or youll have to get a new main relay.. and the rich gas smell is from the code 6, the engine doesnt know wether to run rich or lean so it stays rich to prevent leaning out the engine.. not bad for it but its a bit annoying on gas milage.. good luck bro

HarryJ331
04-24-2010, 05:25 PM
Thank you for the welcome, brother. :) I am glad I found this site. Thank you for the information, now I know how to deal with the problem!

LX-incredible
04-25-2010, 07:10 AM
ECT is the smaller of the 2 wire sensors on the thermostat housing. Sensor should be black or white with a white(ish) connector.

The wires like to break where they enter the connector so check them and check for corrosion on the pins.

A bad coolant temp sensor will give you start problems. Replace it before fooling with the main relay.

kentwat
04-25-2010, 07:29 AM
YA focus on the current problem rather than adding to it by messing with the main relay when you have an ect code instead.

HarryJ331
04-28-2010, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the help fellas. Now I got another issue. Now a code 12 is bouncing on my ECU. What is the deal with that? If it's one thing...it is another..Blehhh :(

ecogabriel
04-28-2010, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the help fellas. Now I got another issue. Now a code 12 is bouncing on my ECU. What is the deal with that? If it's one thing...it is another..Blehhh :(

Code 12: engine gas recirculation (EGR) problem. If you have to do state inspection (emissions, smog) then you won't pass testing unless you find what is wrong with the system. Most likely cause for code 12 is the EGR valve position sensor is defective.
Search in the forums; there has bee a thread recently on an EGR (code 12 problem) with which I have been involved... code 12 was my first issue with my 3G

Nothing to say about code 6; what has been said above explains it.... maybe adding that the Coolant sensor sits closest to the engine in the thermostat housing... oh, and the wires and connectors become very brittle so BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU HANDLE THEM!!!! but this has been said already; don't forget though. Be gentle, VERY gentle with the wiring

Don't worry too much about those little things; they are not difficult to fix once you know how.

redaccordcoupe
06-04-2010, 03:15 AM
N Your egr may be plugged as well. I would pull it off and check it for carbon deposiits. If its full of carbon you should lightly scrape the innards with a coat hanger and blow it out with compressed air.