PDA

View Full Version : engine movement

accord1989
04-24-2010, 11:43 PM
i have installed 3 new engine mounts front back and side thinking it will make things more stable yet when put the gear in reverse the whole car thuds just from the engine moving , the torque rod bushing is a bit worn will this have anything to do with all the movement ? would really like to stop the movement after installing all new mounts i thought it would be the end of it ? can post pics if it will help!

Bluntman
04-25-2010, 05:30 AM
i have installed 3 new engine mounts front back and side thinking it will make things more stable yet when put the gear in reverse the whole car thuds just from the engine moving , the torque rod bushing is a bit worn will this have anything to do with all the movement ? would really like to stop the movement after installing all new mounts i thought it would be the end of it ? can post pics if it will help!

Yes it can. There are two bushings in that rod, and are rather inexpensive.

stephensimmons
04-25-2010, 06:04 AM

Where is your idle set at?

LX-incredible
04-25-2010, 06:59 AM
where is your idle set at?

x2

Dr_Snooz
04-25-2010, 07:51 AM
It's not your mounts. This tranny is wearing out. It will still go another 2 million miles like that, but you'll have to deal with the banging. If you want to maximize life, be religious about your fluid changes and use a top flight fluid.

A20A1
04-25-2010, 10:29 AM
where is your idle set at?

x3

though you would think the thud would happen when putting it in drive as well.

Yes it can. There are two bushings in that rod, and are rather inexpensive.

There was a post a few years back where someone filled the thing in with 3M Window Weld. May be cheaper then buying new bushings.

I'll try and find the thread, don't hold your breath.
not the original thread but gives you the idea.
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52919

lostforawhile
04-25-2010, 10:57 AM
x3

There was a post a few years back where someone filled the thing in with 3M Window Weld. May be cheaper then buying new bushings.

.I made the big one from aluminum with a steel insert, BIG difference, machined the small one out of some high density plastic, can't remember what it was

accord1989
04-25-2010, 03:06 PM
x3

idle sits at around 1000rpm ? I have some sikaflex marine adhesive sealant which i might use it is some high strength polyurethane formula ?

stephensimmons
04-25-2010, 03:47 PM
idle sits at around 1000rpm ? I have some sikaflex marine adhesive sealant which i might use it is some high strength polyurethane formula ?

Thats a little high to me. I would set it around 800-850

accord1989
04-28-2010, 05:16 PM
:) wow what a big improvement , so filling engine mounts with poly is a definate recommendation a little bit of vibration but better then having the whole car go thud everytime you change gear! still when i put the car in drive the car drives itself forward without any acceleration pedal ??? why would this be happening ? how would i stop this , thanks?

A20A1
04-28-2010, 07:36 PM
idle is too high in gear, so lower the idle.

Personally I think 750 in gear is a great idle but I don't mind 500 either. If you're running A/C and other things you may need to keep it closer to 800-900 in gear. 1000 RPM in neutral isn't bad, but if you can get it lower that would be better.

Xaisk
04-28-2010, 09:19 PM
My car with a 32/36 weber idles 1250 in park and 800 in drive.

Itll idle at 700 or so ez in park, but when its set that low the drive idle is like 400-500.. really really low. The only way I know to make the drive idle go up is to increase the idle screw which makes the idle in park go up to get the drive idle up. its very annoying.

Harrison_Bergeron
04-28-2010, 10:40 PM
Maybe I am misunderstanding the problem, but as far as I have ever seen or experienced all autos accelerate/creep when put in drive.

accord1989
04-28-2010, 11:05 PM
even in park it will try move forward but the brakes is holding the car back ?

Harrison_Bergeron
04-28-2010, 11:28 PM

Itll idle at 700 or so ez in park, but when its set that low the drive idle is like 400-500.. really really low. The only way I know to make the drive idle go up is to increase the idle screw which makes the idle in park go up to get the drive idle up. its very annoying.

There are tests for figuring this out in the manual. I have the same problem, but have yet to rent/buy a vacuum pump to perform the first test.

There is a diaphragm or something in the black box that raises the idle when the trans is put in gear, and i can go bad.

A20A1
04-29-2010, 01:14 AM
even in park it will try move forward but the brakes is holding the car back ?

A little bit is normal, but to me it sounded like your car really wanted to move.

As long as the brake can stop the car with little pressure on the pedal then that's fine.

As for the idle boost on the stock carb ( Vacuum line #6 or #20 ), when intake manifold vacuum drops idle is increased because there is less resistance to the spring in the diaphragm. I think on some models there was an external solenoid not in the black box that controlled vacuum to the diaphragm as well but you can connect the diaphragm directly to the intake manifold vacuum port.

It'll idle at 700 or so ez in park, but when its set that low the drive idle is like 400-500.. really really low. The only way I know to make the drive idle go up is to increase the idle screw which makes the idle in park go up to get the drive idle up. its very annoying.

I usually list my idle speeds in gear/drive rpm... so 700-750 should be your drive rpm not neutral/park rpm.

When I had the Weber I set the Drive/Gear idle speed at 500, which was pretty low and it was very lopey with the Colt Cam I had in but it was still good. I forget what the neutral rpm was but it didn't matter.