PDA

View Full Version : JDMPassword Battery relocator

Pico
04-27-2010, 02:52 PM
I ordered my Odyssey Battery at work today and I need to know which battery relocator kit should I get
The only 2 people that I know on here that have this battery is 87Roach and strugglebucket.
Is this the one I should go with?
http://http://www.passwordjdm.com/sitemap/p/PasswordJDM-Battery-Relocator-BB4-9296-Prelude-1984.htm
Thanks
Roger

Civic Accord Honda
04-27-2010, 04:03 PM
87 got the EF one for 88-91 civic

Strugglebucket
04-27-2010, 04:39 PM
The link's not working for me but I have the Prelude one, part# PWEBR-BB1-000.

The civic one is an actual box around the battery and has carbon fiber. The Prelude one is more of a tray with a hold-down bracket on top. I needed the hold-down to pass tech at auto-x, so that's why I got that one.

The bracket mounts with 2 bolts. I used one of the original battery tray bolt holes and drill one new hole to line up with the bracket. I also drilled and re-tapped the old hole to match the new one because I used 5/16-24 bolts. I used standard size zinc coated grade 8 because my hardware store didn't have high grade metric with any sort of corrosion resistance. I also used the finer thread size (24 vs. 18) because the amount of material you have to tap threads into once you drill a new hole is a little thin, so I wanted to make sure I got plenty of thread.

lostforawhile
04-27-2010, 05:30 PM
I ordered my Odyssey Battery at work today and I need to know which battery relocator kit should I get
The only 2 people that I know on here that have this battery is 87Roach and strugglebucket.
Is this the one I should go with?
http://http://www.passwordjdm.com/sitemap/p/PasswordJDM-Battery-Relocator-BB4-9296-Prelude-1984.htm
Thanks
Roger
what odyssey did you order? I have the PC625. I was going to bring up a point too, you can get some of the odysseys with a steel liner in the case, this is a heat shield, if the battery is going in a high heat environment you need this model.

Pico
04-27-2010, 07:08 PM
87 got the EF one for 88-91 civic
Thanks Blake

The link's not working for me but I have the Prelude one, part# PWEBR-BB1-000.

The civic one is an actual box around the battery and has carbon fiber. The Prelude one is more of a tray with a hold-down bracket on top. I needed the hold-down to pass tech at auto-x, so that's why I got that one.

The bracket mounts with 2 bolts. I used one of the original battery tray bolt holes and drill one new hole to line up with the bracket. I also drilled and re-tapped the old hole to match the new one because I used 5/16-24 bolts. I used standard size zinc coated grade 8 because my hardware store didn't have high grade metric with any sort of corrosion resistance. I also used the finer thread size (24 vs. 18) because the amount of material you have to tap threads into once you drill a new hole is a little thin, so I wanted to make sure I got plenty of thread.
I remember at the meet looking at the mount you had. I probably order the same one also.
Thanks Ken

what odyssey did you order? I have the PC625. I was going to bring up a point too, you can get some of the odysseys with a steel liner in the case, this is a heat shield, if the battery is going in a high heat environment you need this model.
I ordered the PC680MJ , since im putting the battery back in the eng,compartment
Thanks Tim

lostforawhile
04-27-2010, 07:30 PM
Just be careful what battery chargers you use, these things can handle all the charging amps you can throw at them, but if the charging voltage goes above 15 on standby,or near the end of the charging cycle, it will ruin the battery. they have a list of approved chargers, but they are expensive, they had one of those shumachers that wasn't that bad, but that model is discontinued, walmart has another schumacher that has an AGM battery setting, so i may end up getting one when i can afford it, and test it with an meter. if it's on standby and the voltage stays steady below that threshold, it should be fine. the odyssey site says they haven't evaluated any of those chargers yet. they also list a bunch of trickle chargers that are safe, including one of the battery tenders. they will keep it topped up, but won't charge it or bring it back 100 percent from a deep discharge.

Pico
04-27-2010, 07:41 PM
I have a small trickle charger, It should be good enough

lostforawhile
04-27-2010, 08:20 PM
I have a small trickle charger, It should be good enough

it'll be fine to compensate for alarm draw, but they won't charge on one at all, i''ll keep you updated when i can afford the schumacher one. It takes a minimum number of amps to bring one of these back from a deep discharge. you have to be careful if you have parasitic drain from an alarm or stereo, they are tough batteries but being discharged by a low amperage draw over a long period will just kill one of these. It's just the nature of AGM batteries. a heavy discharge until it's dead won't hurt it, but low current discharge over a long time will cause sulfation in the plate separators. if you don't drive it everyday keep a battery tender on it,or something like it. when it's on trickle charge keep checking the voltage to make sure the charger isn't putting out more then 14.5 to 15 volts on float, anything more will damage the battery. I did a TON of research before i decided on a battery.

87roach
04-28-2010, 06:41 PM
Check my how to pico.

I can't remember if I said what kit I used though.. pretty sure it was the crx one. You have a different battery so I'm not sure if it matters what I got.

Pico
04-29-2010, 07:45 AM
Check my how to pico.

I can't remember if I said what kit I used though.. pretty sure it was the crx one. You have a different battery so I'm not sure if it matters what I got.

I'll check it out, Im deciding at the moment if I want to spend so much cash on a battery hold down.
So far I may try to make one with the help of my buddy or I may get this one on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PC680MJ-Odyssey-Battery-Tray-Box-Hold-Down-Aluminum-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem335b6415aaQQitemZ22057 6617898QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries or this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PC680-PC680MJT-PC680MJ-BATTERY-HOLD-DOWN-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1e5b5eb84cQQitemZ13038 1953100QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

87roach
05-04-2010, 07:35 AM
Yep that aluminum one is the exact same as mine.