PDA

View Full Version : Super slow acceleration

icachipmunk
04-28-2010, 05:17 PM
Need some help figuring out what this could be:

My buddy bought a 1988 Honda Accord DX Carb auto. It has some mileage on it (173XXX), Car seems cool and everything, but the seller told us that it might have a “clogged exhaust.”

When he drives down the street, regardless on how much he is pressing down on the gas, it maintains a constant RPM, around 3K, until you back off so that the car can switch gears. This car has super slow acceleration.

Thinking that maybe the seller was referring that the cat was clogged, I take it over to my exhaust guy to check it out. Take a look at it, says whatever it is, it’s not the exhaust. Think he might have been B.S.ing me, since it was close to closing time.

So now I am left thinking, maybe it still is the cat, maybe I need to take a look at the timing but wondering if anyone else out there can make any suggestions.

For what its worth, car idles fine, no backfire, nothing seems out the ordinary.

CzEcHy
04-28-2010, 06:24 PM
Well to start cheap and do thingsprevious owner may not of done to help, would be things like..

Seafoam in gas and into carb itself.
Spark plugs of course
Wires
Timing

You know, routine stuff.

Then go from there to the more expensive options, especially checking the exhaust.

Anyway, Seafoam especially can work wonders, especially for acceleration.

Nio
04-28-2010, 07:06 PM
LMFAO never mind.

for some reason I read the whole bloody thing, and remember it was a carbed...

Rofl forget what I said. :P

A20A1
04-28-2010, 07:26 PM
Honestly sounds like a TV cable Adjustment

Check here
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40885
Adjust the TV cable, check transmission fluid level.

If the cable is not the problem then check the carb Booster Venturies
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48568

If that doesn't work then maybe it's electrical or something is amiss in the trans.

ShyBoyCA6
04-28-2010, 08:29 PM
LMFAO never mind.

for some reason I read the whole bloody thing, and remember it was a carbed...

Rofl forget what I said. :P

i hate to burst your bubble of fun but you gonna have to learn nio we know you dont have a carb car but it will help you down the road if you have a friend or a family member having trouble. and its good to learn new or "old" things

hmm might wanna do a tune up and check the carb itself might not be getting enough flow due to carbon deposits and age if its a stock carb from 22 years ago. hmm i wonder if the vacuum could be the problem?... but for now do that and a fuel clean up and let us know if that helps. im not an expert on carbs im just learning my self. so any guys have more input or wanna correct me? go rite ahead

Nio
04-29-2010, 01:00 PM
i hate to burst your bubble of fun but you gonna have to learn nio we know you dont have a carb car but it will help you down the road if you have a friend or a family member having trouble. and its good to learn new or "old" things

hmm might wanna do a tune up and check the carb itself might not be getting enough flow due to carbon deposits and age if its a stock carb from 22 years ago. hmm i wonder if the vacuum could be the problem?... but for now do that and a fuel clean up and let us know if that helps. im not an expert on carbs im just learning my self. so any guys have more input or wanna correct me? go rite ahead

Sorry. What I did was post a fix for his car....which I forgot was a carbed...I posted a fix for a FI system. *like how I got mine working*

But after re-reading his post. I went. *OMFG I'm such a tard* that's why I put LMFAO....so I went back and edited my comment to that.

I messed up and posted something that had nothing to do with his car.

>.< made me feel like a complete idiot.

2oodoor
04-29-2010, 01:40 PM
Honestly sounds like a TV cable Adjustment

Check here
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40885
Adjust the TV cable, check transmission fluid level.

If the cable is not the problem then check the carb Booster Venturies
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48568

If that doesn't work then maybe it's electrical or something is amiss in the trans.

ditto, adjust all of it while youre in there, the accel cable too it if was mafunctioning it in turn would throw off the TV. Dont tie them together under the hood either. If the OP ever comes back....

carotman
04-29-2010, 01:45 PM
Make sure the secondary barrel is opening too

ShyBoyCA6
04-29-2010, 03:49 PM
Sorry. What I did was post a fix for his car....which I forgot was a carbed...I posted a fix for a FI system. *like how I got mine working*

But after re-reading his post. I went. *OMFG I'm such a tard* that's why I put LMFAO....so I went back and edited my comment to that.

I messed up and posted something that had nothing to do with his car.

>.< made me feel like a complete idiot.

lol let me guess you only read like 2 sentences right? it happens

A20A1
04-29-2010, 06:58 PM
ditto, adjust all of it while youre in there, the accel cable too it if was mafunctioning it in turn would throw off the TV.

Make sure the secondary barrel is opening too

Well said, I'm glad you two brought that up. Accelerator cable and Secondary, which are tied into each other. Strange that I aimed first for the trans but have dealt more often with accelerator cable adjustment nuts on the carb coming loose.