PDA

View Full Version : New struts = Better sounding system?

Odin
05-02-2010, 06:21 PM
Just a quick question to those of you who have experienced having a sweet system being dulled by excessive rattling due to poor struts. I'm planning on replacing my struts (and NOT just for the sake of the sound system, this mofo needs it for plenty of other reasons) and was curious to know if the lack of rattling would cause the sound system to sound better.

The reason I figure it would is because at a stand still my system sounds so good, but as soon as I'm on the road it sounds like shit. So has anyone ever noticed an improvement on the system after the struts have been replaced?

ShyBoyCA6
05-02-2010, 06:55 PM
:search::inout:

2ndGenGuy
05-02-2010, 09:21 PM
^^ Search? What?

The reduction of sound in your car when moving is more likely caused by road noise. Best thing you can do to reduce the noise is to buy some of that jute(?) padding that they put under carpets, and pull up the carpets in your car and line the floors with it. And you can also put Dynamat type stuff behind your door panels, and up on your rear shelf where your rear speakers are.

I don't think struts are going to do much for you. However, bushings can cause a lot of vibration to be transferred from your suspension into the body and cause resonance if they are worn out, or if they are polyurethane or any stiffer compound. I think good new rubber bushings might help cut down on some noise as well.

2drSE-i
05-02-2010, 09:41 PM
:search::inout:

I very seriously doubt this topic has been covered....

Odin
05-03-2010, 07:20 AM
Sorry but I tried many different searches and nothing came up ;)

Anyway I'll consider the Jute padding. It's fairly inexpensive and I might as well do it when I plan on changing the carpet. I currently have dynamat in the trunk, but honestly the excessive jitters in the car while driving (trust me, my shocks are totally shot lol) makes it almost inaudible. I'll consider new bushings as well...and unfortunately I also know I'm in dire need of some speaker adapters. The pre-cut hole in the door is damaged and unfortunately I'm only able to screw about 3 holes in each of the front speakers.

Ahhh if my car could only sound the way it does when it's parked all the time!

ShyBoyCA6
05-03-2010, 07:39 AM
My bad then so back on topic

2ndGenGuy
05-03-2010, 08:13 AM
Well if you have really loud rattles, then yeah you really should take care of them. They will destroy your sound you may have. But I think if you've got suspension rattling, you might want to take a look around at ball joints and bushings while you're in there. I'd suspect more that they are the cause of your noises.

Dr_Snooz
05-03-2010, 06:40 PM
Struts sound like a real long shot. Honda bodies have a tendency to loosen up over time and develop all kinds of annoying rattles, especially when the car is moving over rough roads. I'm not sure how to combat that. It might be good to move to a country that hasn't given all its money to Goldman Sachs and can afford to fix roads every couple decades. You know, where the bridges don't fall into rivers and sink holes don't open up and swallow SUVs.

1987lxi
05-04-2010, 06:04 AM
Struts sound like a real long shot. Honda bodies have a tendency to loosen up over time and develop all kinds of annoying rattles, especially when the car is moving over rough roads. I'm not sure how to combat that. It might be good to move to a country that hasn't given all its money to Goldman Sachs and can afford to fix roads every couple decades. You know, where the bridges don't fall into rivers and sink holes don't open up and swallow SUVs.

Lol!! Our roads do suck. Want a better ride? Goto Germany. Anyway Id go through and tighten bolts like I did. Make sure you look for torque specs. good luck.

ecogabriel
05-05-2010, 04:06 AM
Talking about rattles, I found one from an apparently impossible place: rear window.

I have a water leak in there and I pulled out the trimmings to see what could be done. I knew the rear (window? windshield?) had been replaced and now I know it has been shoddily installed. Instead of using the urethane adhesive that glues the window to the car frame, they used some kind of silicone that only seals; I hit a bump and the rear window rattles.

Better roads? Keep on dreaming...

ghettogeddy
05-05-2010, 04:23 AM
My bad then so back on topic

NOOB LOL

ot

i could see it sounding better as you dont have the extra noise but its not gona improve whats already there