PDA

View Full Version : car wont start :'( starter?

frantik
05-04-2010, 02:01 AM
I decided to take my rent to my landlord tonight at 2am.. drive there normally, park the car to take the check to the drop box... go back to the car to turn it on... nothing.. just a click instead of anything turning over

i tried disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it to see if that might help.. nada. eventually i managed to push start it and it came to life so it's getting a spark

i just put a new battery in.. maybe it doesnt have enough juice? the starter doesnt even try to turn over or anything. i made sure the clutch pedal was down all the way too..

what kind of simple diagnostics can i do? i really dont need to this problem right now dammit:hmph:

A18A
05-04-2010, 02:17 AM
try a wire straight from the battery positive to the starter solenoid, if it still only clicks then yeah it would be that

AccordB20A
05-04-2010, 03:27 AM
^^^ i second that motion, that will rule out any other circuit issues from the battery to the key thru the clutch switch and to the starter.

try beating on the starter motor while turning the key also.

frantik
05-04-2010, 10:25 AM
how thick does the wire need to be?

im assuming this is done with the car turnd on and in neutral, right?

2oodoor
05-04-2010, 10:33 AM
how thick does the wire need to be?

im assuming this is done with the car turnd on and in neutral, right?

yes please, I dont wanna read about you getting runn ded overd by yourself:ugh2:
the small wire at the starter is the switching wire, the big wire is battery hot ALL the time so you can just jump those two togher or just use a small wire from the battery, unplug the lil wire and touch it.

2ndGenGuy
05-04-2010, 11:19 AM
Also you can try tapping your starter with a screwdriver and if it starts after that, then your solenoid is probably going bad.

greentee76
05-04-2010, 01:47 PM
What condition are your battery cable terminals in? I had a similar issue where it ran fine one minute and then everthing went blank when I tried to start it. My problem ended up being corrosion where the positive cable and terminal were clamped together.

frantik
05-04-2010, 03:36 PM
cool bout to go see what i can do

how hard is it to replace the starter motor?

btw push starting your car at 2:30 am while wearing sandals sucks big ballsacks lol..

ShyBoyCA6
05-04-2010, 03:39 PM
why sandals?? lol

frantik
05-04-2010, 03:43 PM
it was hard to get any traction and also you don't have the side of the shoe to push your foot against, etc

i wear flip flops almost 24/7.. after this though i might leave an old pair of regular shoes in my car lol

Civic Accord Honda
05-04-2010, 03:45 PM
its pretty easy to replace the starter, just remove the intake and things that are in the way
but yeah get a wire any wire should work and hold it on the battery positive and touch it to the contact that white and black wire plugs in to on the starter in neutral and if it starts up then we can figure it out from there if it doesn't start replace the starter :thumbup:

starters like to die at bad times, had to replace the 4gees a couple months ago, was smoking and shooting sparks out and the car would just start then stall :S push starting it worked everytime lol

ShyBoyCA6
05-04-2010, 03:46 PM
hahah yep you might never know when you'll need them hope you get your car working again

frantik
05-04-2010, 04:14 PM
w00t... one of the stupid wires on the starter just came loose.. hooked it back on and she's golden :D :D

frantik
05-04-2010, 05:32 PM
lol i just remembered this happened to me 3 years ago and it was the same problem.. i should have searched first hahaha

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58613&highlight=starter