PDA

View Full Version : Almost Stalls and now starting problem-LXi

Creator
05-06-2010, 08:19 PM
Problem started 2 months ago. After driving for a while, when stopped at a light the RPM's would fall like it was about to stall. I can only assume the ECU reacts and the RPM's run up to 2k, then back to regular idle.

I ignored it for a while as it was intermittent and not actually stopping use of the car. After a month or so the frequency seemed to increase a little, and I had a problem starting the car. I replaced the fuel filter, plugs and wires (old plugs showed slightly lean mixture). Two months have passed and the car almost didn't start at all tonight, the problems starting it have increased as well. The car is dropping RPM's when rapidly accelerating from a stop, steady slow accel seems to do just fine. The car has upon occasion shuddered during acceleration. I also put a pressure gauge on the fuel filter to make sure the fuel pump is good, and it seems to be fine.

I guess I'm stuck on this being a spark or a fuel issue. Any thoughts?

Oldblueaccord
05-08-2010, 11:16 AM
what was your fuel pressure?

Does somewhat sound like lack of fuel.

In the EFI section we have a list of codes and the computer is under the Drivers seat. Check and see if you have a code.

EDIT: Like most honda we have problems with the main relay going bad on these car that the #1 no start problem. I dont think it would be a running problem but you never know.

wp

Creator
05-08-2010, 12:13 PM
Is the main relay near the hood release latch like it is on the same year civics? The fuel pressure is right around 40. Unfortunately I don't have the style that will stick out from the hood while driving, so I don't know what it does when I'm driving around.

Oldblueaccord
05-08-2010, 03:48 PM
Yeah same are near the hood latch.

Pull a code see whats up. Might be your vacuum advance not working right with the acceleration problem.

wp

9shorty20
05-08-2010, 05:45 PM
mine is doing the same thing.......please help

jasonrebellion
05-09-2010, 09:09 AM
check vacuum hoses....takea cut up water pipe to your ear and listen for a hissing noise.

Creator
05-13-2010, 04:48 AM
9short, I still haven't solved the problem. Car almost stranded me so I parked it for a while. The cluster isn't showing a CEL, but I'll check the ECU tonight.

Oldblueaccord
05-17-2010, 02:03 PM
Search here or on Google about the main relay. You can jump out the post with a jumper wire to TEST it only. Thats the first thing to look at for a "no start" hot condition.

wp

Creator
05-17-2010, 07:52 PM
I finally checked the ECU for codes, and sure enough it showed 6. Which points to the ECT sensor (engine coolant temp). I've been neglecting it for a while but the radiator fluid is really filthy in this car, specifically rust colored. I'm not surprised by this code at all. Fortunately I'm already ready for it minus having the sensor. I have a new radiator, and thermostat.

Anyone help me with the location of the ECT sensor on this car?

9shorty20
05-20-2010, 06:12 PM
I finally checked the ECU for codes, and sure enough it showed 6. Which points to the ECT sensor (engine coolant temp). I've been neglecting it for a while but the radiator fluid is really filthy in this car, specifically rust colored. I'm not surprised by this code at all. Fortunately I'm already ready for it minus having the sensor. I have a new radiator, and thermostat.

Anyone help me with the location of the ECT sensor on this car?
my ecu doesnt show anything the light doesnt even blink once...how did you check it??

Creator
05-25-2010, 01:23 PM
To check it you have to turn the key in the ignition 2 clicks over. This is just before it starts, and all accessories are on. It should then show the code or codes over and over again until you turn the car on or turn the accessories off.

Oldblueaccord
05-26-2010, 04:39 AM
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26342

top of the EFI section. Guys dont be afraid to use the search button as well the info is on this site just gotta look for it.

wp