PDA

View Full Version : 88 lxi won't start when it rains

dizzle007
05-07-2010, 05:29 PM
I have a 1988 Accord LXI with 285,500 miles. Still run perfect! But when we get a heavy rain, when I go to start the car the the starter will turn the motor but it won't start and run. Any Ideas what could cause this?

ShyBoyCA6
05-07-2010, 05:32 PM
have you searched?? or just posting to get info asap?

charliekuney
05-07-2010, 08:01 PM
^ Searching isn't necessarily always the answer.

It might be the cold getting to the main relay, but that's a long shot. Just throwing that out there.

ShyBoyCA6
05-07-2010, 08:17 PM
^ Searching isn't necessarily always the answer.

It might be the cold getting to the main relay, but that's a long shot. Just throwing that out there.

i dont know if you notice charlie but i seen some new comers put they searched when they ask for help even if they did or not.

and getting cold from a rainy day??please explain

charliekuney
05-07-2010, 08:54 PM
Well, since the guy (or gal) used miles, I guess they were in the states. Given that information, name a place where it's hot when it rains (and pours when it does).

Dr_Snooz
05-07-2010, 09:11 PM
Dizzle, we'll let the lovers quarrel for now. Tell me about any leaks in your car. Does this happen after you've driven in the rain or does just sitting in the rain do it? Is the factory splash pan still in place or did that wander off somewhere? Typically some water gets into the distributor or wiring and makes things go haywire.

ShyBoyCA6
05-07-2010, 09:44 PM
checking the rotor also and making sure no moister < if thats how you spell< gets in the plugs or distributor cap and checking the fuel pump alternator fuse and battery fuse

1987AccordLx-i
05-09-2010, 02:17 PM
might need to change the main relay... mine acted up when it would get really cold... turned out the contacts in the relay were bad so i re-soldered them and she still runs fine to this day... and its been almost a year since i fixed it

w261w261
05-09-2010, 05:02 PM
Back in the day in Florida (ah yes it does rain heavily when it's hot there), if there was a starting problem in the rain the first and usually the last place you had to look was for a cracked distributor cap. I'd take it off, make a close inspection, maybe throw another one on there.

88LXi/87CRXSi
05-12-2010, 02:43 PM
Also check around the coil terminals and coil wire. My work van wouldn't start when it was wet, cracks in the coil tower one time. Another time, coil wire arcing.

import racer
05-12-2010, 03:53 PM
Must have a dodge engine.

dizzle007
05-26-2010, 06:27 PM
Thank you for the advise. So far I have pulled the distributer cap off, and the rubber gasket underneath was bad so I changed that and installed a new cap. Now I am waiting for another rain to see what happens. If thats not it, then change wires and plugs and go from there.

Bluntman
05-26-2010, 07:05 PM
Thank you for the advise. So far I have pulled the distributer cap off, and the rubber gasket underneath was bad so I changed that and installed a new cap. Now I am waiting for another rain to see what happens. If thats not it, then change wires and plugs and go from there.

I was also going suggest that rubber gasket. If it is bad, and on a 20+ year old car it usually is, it will let moisture get in there. Hope that works out for you.:cheers: