PDA

View Full Version : Drill like noise

whufc
05-08-2010, 01:41 PM
I have an '89 Accord Aerodeck. When I drive off after starting the car, it always makes a noise that sounds like a pneumatic drill digging into a road. It makes this noise for 10-20 seconds, and then it stops.

Lately, it has also been doing it at random times whilst driving, but it never does it whilst stationary.

Does anybody know what this could be please?

Thanks.

lostforawhile
05-08-2010, 02:23 PM
I have an '89 Accord Aerodeck. When I drive off after starting the car, it always makes a noise that sounds like a pneumatic drill digging into a road. It makes this noise for 10-20 seconds, and then it stops.

Lately, it has also been doing it at random times whilst driving, but it never does it whilst stationary.

Does anybody know what this could be please?

Thanks.
can you take a video so we can hear it? i know you can't post it until you have at least eight posts but send me the link on PM and i'll post it for you so people can hear it

whufc
05-08-2010, 02:32 PM
Thank you sir, I very much appreciate that.

I don't have a video camera, but I'll record the sound on my mobile phone. I hope it proves to be good enough quality, but it'll certainly be better than nothing.

Oldblueaccord
05-12-2010, 01:51 PM
I am thinking your starter is hanging a little maybe. Thats the only thing that would make a electric drill sound that I can think of.

wp

Dr_Snooz
05-12-2010, 06:00 PM
Is it a buzzing sound coming from the intake area?

Bluntman
05-13-2010, 07:47 AM
I am wondering if it could possibly be a bearing going bad. Such as a alternator, water pump, AC compressor or power steering pump bearing. That is just a guess. But it is another thing to possibly to think about.

Vector
05-13-2010, 09:03 AM
only in motion? check tranny fluids, check disk-brake dust shields.. if they make contact with the inside of the rotor... they can make interesting noises.

could be a wheel bearing going on its way out as well.

is it auto or 5spd.. if its 5spd could be related to pressure plate throwout bearing/input-shaft bearing...

ghettogeddy
05-13-2010, 09:42 AM
Is it a buzzing sound coming from the intake area?

thats what im thinking it is mine does the same thing

Dr_Snooz
05-13-2010, 08:50 PM
thats what im thinking it is mine does the same thing

If you have a carb, check your air suction valve. They sometimes go bad and make a buzzing sound.

If you have FI, then ignore me.