PDA

View Full Version : keys?

lostforawhile
05-10-2010, 04:43 PM
I wasn't sure of the best place to put it, but it does deal with security, trying to find out if the glovebox key blank is different then the standard key blank, and does anyone still have any for sale? my keys are all jacked up, and i need to gets some blanks to have new keys made.

charliekuney
05-10-2010, 05:37 PM
No luck at a Honda dealer?

Civic Accord Honda
05-10-2010, 08:17 PM
should of got them from the group buy. i have 2 oem blanks somewhere but there lost at the moment lol

and the glove box key is the same

lostforawhile
05-10-2010, 08:28 PM
should of got them from the group buy. i have 2 oem blanks somewhere but there lost at the moment lol

and the glove box lock would never work, I had a master key at one point, but I don't know what happened to it. it would open the glovebox but the other keys wouldn't, there was also a valet key which wouldn't open the glove box, or the hatch, only work in the ignition and door locks.

Civic Accord Honda
05-10-2010, 08:37 PM
and the glove box lock would never work, I had a master key at one point, but I don't know what happened to it. it would open the glovebox but the other keys wouldn't, there was also a valet key which wouldn't open the glove box, or the hatch, only work in the ignition and door locks.

the blanks that were sold were the master keys, ive never had a valet key on any of my cars but if thats all you have even when u get a master key cut to the valet keys specs it will only work as a valet key..

i would just go to the junkyard and get a new keyset, there a like $15 and 99% of the cars i see have the keys somewhere in them

lostforawhile
05-10-2010, 08:41 PM
the blanks that were sold were the master keys, ive never had a valet key on any of my cars but if thats all you have even when u get a master key cut to the valet keys specs it will only work as a valet key..

i would just go to the junkyard and get a new keyset, there a like $15 and 99% of the cars i see have the keys somewhere in them

i've never seen one with the keys at the yard, i'm sure someone has some blanks on here, I know a good locksmith in Texas, old timer, when i'm able i'm going to take the break off screws out of the ignition lock assembly, and send it and a glove box lock to him, he says he can rebuild my ignition lock and make the glovebox lock match it's key, they discontinued mechanical lock assemblies for these cars, so I have to get mine rebuilt. I have all the special locksmith tools to take off the lock and rebuild these, but I don't have any pin sets left. yes i used to work as a locksmith my tools are legal. They just don't make tumbler pins for these anymore , so you have to find someone who has the pins. I didn't do it long enough to have a good collection. the difference between the valet key and the master key is the master had some extra cuts in it, it will operate the igniton but some of the pins in the glovebox won't open without it. the key that opens the hatch also won't open the glovebox, only the master which has one more cut

accordion89
05-10-2010, 08:42 PM
I wasn't sure of the best place to put it, but it does deal with security, trying to find out if the glovebox key blank is different then the standard key blank, and does anyone still have any for sale? my keys are all jacked up, and i need to gets some blanks to have new keys made.

there is two keys, one that opens all, one that opens doors and ignition for mechanic sevice

lostforawhile
05-10-2010, 08:49 PM
there is two keys, one that opens all, one that opens doors and ignition for mechanic sevice

right i remembered after thinking about it, the master has one extra cut for an extra tumbler in the glovebox. I haven't worked on a lock since about 94, so a lot of it is fuzzy

A18A
05-10-2010, 10:41 PM

i so didn't know that :O

frantik
05-11-2010, 01:27 AM
i had the valet key for my old 3gee.. it's a different key than the master key i think

it doesnt allow you to get in the trunk or glove box so you can give your key to other people and they cant go thru your stuff..

charliekuney
05-11-2010, 02:09 PM
i had the valet key for my old 3gee.. it's a different key than the master key i think

it doesnt allow you to get in the trunk or glove box so you can give your key to other people and they cant go thru your stuff..

Master: All locks + ignition.
Valet: Doors and tranny lock (auto) + ignition.

My first coupe's owner still had both (several sets of both, I had eight keys). All of the valets looked completely identical. It took me a week to realize what the difference was, since none of the cars my parents have ever had had the valet system, and my sister's LX-i didn't come with one.

Edison Carasio
05-12-2010, 07:24 AM
This thread reminded me to go to the dealer and get a spare made yesterday.

Thanks! lol

carotman
05-12-2010, 08:50 AM
The only difference between the master and valet key is the tip of the key. The valet key has the tip cut down so it won't activate the farthest tumbler in the lock.