PDA

View Full Version : CV Axle shattered this morning :(

a20soda
05-11-2010, 08:00 AM
Was pulling out of my apartment today and i turned out onto the road and i hear the usual clicking (i usually just go very slowly when turning) but today metal pieces broke off and were laying on the ground, and the driveshaft turns in place kind of rattling/clicking. The car is undriveable now :/ How do i know if the boot/joint is bad or if the axle is bad? just need to get back on the road :/

carotman
05-11-2010, 09:04 AM
The axle shaft itself is probably fine. The joint is definetly busted.

It's usually cheaper to replace the whole thing with a remanufactured unit.

a20soda
05-11-2010, 09:46 AM
dbl post accident :O

a20soda
05-11-2010, 09:52 AM
well i noticed its the boot that is effed. bought a full reman driveshaft for $40. im kinda stuck though; can someone explain some general instructions/steps to do this? I have specific videos, but they arent labeled in order so it is a tad confusing which steps to do when. Thanks :)

nfs480
05-11-2010, 05:01 PM
1. Remove axle nut

2. Remove lower ball joint cotter pin

3. Loosen lower ball joint nut

4. Use Pitman Tie rod puller to separate lower ball-joint

5. Remove lower ball joint nut

6. Remove the damper fork nut

7. Remove damper fork bolt

8. Use Rubber mallet to tap drive-shaft out of steering knuckle

9. Use pry bar or large screw driver to pry driveshaft out of transmission

10. Install is reverse of removal.

EDIT: And if the videos you're referring to are the ExpertVillage auto videos on Youtube, they are probably the worst and least helpful auto repair videos out there and he does a lot of things you shouldn't do (like pulling the old cv axle out of the transmission by hand, which could cause the inner joint to come apart).

a20soda
05-12-2010, 08:12 AM
any videos/guides out there you recommend i follow?.. lol and they were ExpertVillage. i saw him use a pickle fork as well, thought that was a no-no

a20soda
05-12-2010, 09:03 AM
also, I'm trying to.write up a list of tools needed:
sockets - 10, 12, 13, 14, 17, 32
jack
jack stands
cheater pipe
hammer
pry bar
grease

let me know if there is anything else i need :)

nfs480
05-12-2010, 10:02 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd5IcN3yjsg

That's a good video to follow. It isn't specifically about replacing CV axles but he does remove the axle in the video. Also look at the fork bolt that he removes from the lower arm, a lot of times that's the most difficult part of the job.

EDIT: As for tools, add a pitman tie rod puller to that list. You should be able to get one for free (you pay a refundable deposit) at any autoparts store loan-a-tool (got mine from O'reillys) for separating the lower arm from the lower ball joint.

a20soda
05-12-2010, 10:56 AM
awesome... :) am i missing anything else?

nfs480
05-12-2010, 10:58 AM
Looks like you have everything else listed.

a20soda
05-12-2010, 11:36 AM
sweet :) grats on 500 posts :P

nfs480
05-12-2010, 11:39 AM
lol, wow I didn't even notice. Thanks, good luck on the axle.

cygnus x-1
05-12-2010, 05:03 PM
4. Use Pitman Tie rod puller to separate lower ball-joint

There are a couple different sizes of these. It might be good to get both sizes just in case.

7. Remove damper fork bolt

This is where things (sometimes) start to go horribly wrong. The bolt tends to seize inside the control arm bushing. If this happens the only option will be to cut it out and replace the bolt and control arm bushing. It's a major bitch. Start soaking that nut and bolt with penetrating oil (PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench, not WD40) now.

If you have to cut it out a Sawzall is about easiest way. Then take the control arm to a shop and have them put in the new bushings. The bushings will have to be ordered from your local parts store or dealer.

C|

nfs480
05-12-2010, 05:22 PM
There are two different sizes and I got both of them when I did mine, one was called a Pitman Arm puller and the other a pitman tie-rod puller. The arm puller was too large and the tie-rod puller worked perfectly. As for that damper fork bolt, I got lucky and was able to get it out with my impact wrench (although it is 950 ft-lbs.)