PDA

View Full Version : exhaust help asap plz

88lxi-shortram
05-12-2010, 03:07 PM
on my accord the catalytic converter only has the two bolt catalytic converter on it but every converter i find is 3 bolt..... wtf do i do?

Dr_Snooz
05-12-2010, 05:59 PM
Usually what happens is the OEM cat goes bad and something comparable gets welded in its place. Have you taken it to a muffler shop to see what they will charge? What's going on that you need a new cat anyway? It's usually a bad idea to look for a scrap one of those.

Just random thoughts.

88lxi-shortram
05-12-2010, 06:11 PM
im getting horrible milage and everyone tells me that theres to much back pressure cuz the cats bad. and it looks like it was welded on because there are some very sloppy thick welds about an inch away from the back of the cat.... also the thing that comes from the front of the exhause that looks like those chinese finger cuffs looks like it has been sawed... maybe the cat was an affordable fix from a theft? but what can i do? i cnt drive it cuz theirs no tag and i cant weld to save my life. should i buy a whole new setup? im on a strict budget though?

1987AccordLx-i
05-26-2010, 08:56 PM
im getting horrible milage and everyone tells me that theres to much back pressure cuz the cats bad. and it looks like it was welded on because there are some very sloppy thick welds about an inch away from the back of the cat.... also the thing that comes from the front of the exhause that looks like those chinese finger cuffs looks like it has been sawed... maybe the cat was an affordable fix from a theft? but what can i do? i cnt drive it cuz theirs no tag and i cant weld to save my life. should i buy a whole new setup? im on a strict budget though?

yeah its been worked on... get it re-welded and then find out what caused the cat to go bad.. you dont wanna be doing this again 6 months from now

Dr_Snooz
05-28-2010, 04:15 PM
Take it to a shop and have them weld in another universal job. Shouldn't be more than a couple hundred at the outside. If you live in an area that doesn't require smog checks, then you can always do the broom handle routine for free.

88lxi-shortram
06-04-2010, 11:56 AM
i found someone whos gonna sell me their whole exhaust for 50$ so that'll fix the exhaust crisis.but i think the problem was bad plugs and plug wires... supposedly it could dump enough raw unused gas into the cat to mess it up. even though i have to pass smog tests what is the "broomstick trick"?

mushroom_toy
06-04-2010, 01:18 PM
i found someone whos gonna sell me their whole exhaust for 50$ so that'll fix the exhaust crisis.but i think the problem was bad plugs and plug wires... supposedly it could dump enough raw unused gas into the cat to mess it up. even though i have to pass smog tests what is the "broomstick trick"?

I thought you lived where you dont have to do smog....you might not be able to pass with a gutted cat, the one on the exhaust i wa gonna sell you is gutted, he was talking about the broomhandle trick which is knocking out honeycomb of the cat with a broomhandle or other long object.

88lxi-shortram
06-05-2010, 05:30 AM
isnt smog tests the same as emmisions? and either way if i do or dont that exhuast is better than mine in the face that it can probably be unbolted were needed instead of mine were its practically welded together by rust.

1987AccordLx-i
06-05-2010, 11:44 AM

a misfire will definitely make the cat go bad... one cylinder not firing is just dumping fuel into the cat and it cant handle the fuel and it just burns it self up.. ive seen a cat with a hole straight through it from it running on one less cylinder... (94 maxima)

88lxi-shortram
06-06-2010, 08:38 AM
yea cuz im almost sure thats what happened cuz my spark wires were old and fallin apart and the plugs were cheap ass 2$ densos. but once i get everything put on(new exhaust, ngk vpowers, and new spark wires... im open to any performance sugestions.) then everything should be ok until i decide to get the swap i want done

1987AccordLx-i
06-06-2010, 02:56 PM
yea cuz im almost sure thats what happened cuz my spark wires were old and fallin apart and the plugs were cheap ass 2$ densos. but once i get everything put on(new exhaust, ngk vpowers, and new spark wires... im open to any performance sugestions.) then everything should be ok until i decide to get the swap i want done

go with ngk wires as well... kinda pricey but well worth it... they last a good amount of time also... well you can get an induction kit... i think weapon R makes it... or you can make it yourself which i did...

import racer
06-06-2010, 04:29 PM
I think i saw one on ebay with 3 holes to bolt it up.

88lxi-shortram
06-06-2010, 07:38 PM
import racer: ive seen those but like i posted at the beginning of the thread mine is ghetto fixed with a different cat from a diff car so my new exhaust will fix that
and yea im getting the ngk vpowers and i already an intake system that i pieced together from autozone so thatll do for now

ill post pics tomoro and its cheaper than the one ur talkn bout mine only cost about 70 or 80 to make, but i had to get a smaller battery to compensate for the space loss.

import racer
06-07-2010, 06:27 PM
Yeah i hear ya,I just fixed mine it was all rusted out and the muffler was gone on the inside.I just took some pipe i found in a pile behind the garage next to me and welded up a system with 3 resonators and no muffler,sounds pretty good too and didn't cost me anything but my time.Good Luck.

88lxi-shortram
06-08-2010, 07:11 PM
thanks dude i wish i had the welding skills to do that but im SOL on time to cuz i just got a new job and ive gotta balance school so time to do that is rare... but congrats on your thrifty fix dude and thx for wishin me luck