PDA

View Full Version : Broke off vacuum line hook up

Layson
05-13-2010, 07:03 AM
Seems that every project, I end up creating more projects for myself. While I was working on my car I accidentally broke off a couple mounts for vacuum lines. Any body know what these are for.

The first one is the sensor connected to a vacuum line on the thermostat housing. You can see it is snapped clean off on the sensor. Looks like something for emissions. Anybody also know what the small sensor is behind it that connects to a couple wires?
http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r447/laysonw/0512002347.jpg

The second one, probably the most important is the one that is mounted to this sensor on top of distributer. There are two vacuum lines that are hooked up to this and I broke one off.
http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r447/laysonw/0512002346.jpg

The third one, is located on part of the intake. You can see it is the top one connected to part of the plastic intake tubing.
http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r447/laysonw/0512002346b.jpg

Any help would be great. I need to know what I need to replace and what I can just plug off. :rockon:

Layson
05-13-2010, 08:11 PM
Any help here would be great!! Thanks

Dr_Snooz
05-13-2010, 08:25 PM
Wow dude. Slow down when working on that car. Being in a rush will cause you to break things. The right answer is that you should replace all of the broken parts. You can get them from the junkyard for not much money in one trip most likely. Until you get replacements, you can probably plug them all and run okay.

I don't recognize the sensor in the first pic but I'd try running without it. I don't think you'll have any huge problems, but someone who knows better can correct me.

The advance diaphragm is more important but a lot of us have been driving around with broken ones for years. If you get one from the yard, make sure it holds vacuum before you buy it.

The last one just looks like the tab that holds your air filter pipe on. Unless I'm missing something. You don't really need it.

Layson
05-13-2010, 08:27 PM
I wasn't in a rush... just had to fight some coolant hoses that were frozen on... LOL

So what is that diaphragm for on the distributer? thanks for the info!

Dr_Snooz
05-13-2010, 08:56 PM
Vacuum advance.

rc00netzero
05-14-2010, 11:43 PM
Layson:
Number 3 (if it is the top hose of the 2 hoses connected to the raised oval on the large black plastic intake tube that connects the filter box to the throttle body - marked #17) is the air bleed for the EGR control system. If you plug that hose you will have idle issues. It will probably run fine disconnected, but to fix:
Get a piece of tubing that fits the hose, remove the intake tube (screw clamps) and drill it where it is broken so the tube just fits in the hole. Glue the tube in with some strong glue like JB Weld (be careful not to plug the tube with glue) and when it sets up - reinstall intake tube and hose. This is what I did because I couldn't find an intake tube in JY that wasn't already broken.

As Dr Snooz said pic number 2 is vacum advance - fix it or you will have runnability issues. JY (but test it for leaks) or I think new ones are still available.

pic one is (I think) the thermovalve that controls the vapor canister (hose # 12 and #3 ). If those numbers match your hoses - you will need to plug them to prevent vacum leak issues. I believe this thermovalve is also available new too.

Layson
05-15-2010, 10:06 PM
Thanks, good information!!

Layson
05-16-2010, 11:46 AM
Layson:
Number 3 (if it is the top hose of the 2 hoses connected to the raised oval on the large black plastic intake tube that connects the filter box to the throttle body - marked #17) is the air bleed for the EGR control system. If you plug that hose you will have idle issues. It will probably run fine disconnected, but to fix:
Get a piece of tubing that fits the hose, remove the intake tube (screw clamps) and drill it where it is broken so the tube just fits in the hole. Glue the tube in with some strong glue like JB Weld (be careful not to plug the tube with glue) and when it sets up - reinstall intake tube and hose. This is what I did because I couldn't find an intake tube in JY that wasn't already broken.

As Dr Snooz said pic number 2 is vacum advance - fix it or you will have runnability issues. JY (but test it for leaks) or I think new ones are still available.

pic one is (I think) the thermovalve that controls the vapor canister (hose # 12 and #3 ). If those numbers match your hoses - you will need to plug them to prevent vacum leak issues. I believe this thermovalve is also available new too.

Where do you find a new vacuum advance? I have not made it over to the junkyard yet for a used one...

rc00netzero
05-16-2010, 03:56 PM
oreilly auto parts lists one for just under $65 - others may also

Layson
05-16-2010, 04:06 PM
Thanks!