PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pressure regulator

Xaisk
05-13-2010, 01:23 PM
Ive heard from a friend that a FPR is a useful thing to have.

How would it help me? would it improve performance in any way? doesnt seem like it would.

lostforawhile
05-13-2010, 01:41 PM
for one thing do you have a FI car or a dx or lx with carb, I was running a holley low pressure regulator with the stock carb and it seemed to smooth out fuel pressure fluctuations, the low pressure Holley regulator is exactly like the regular Holley regulator, but it's 1-4 psi it has different springs in it. i set mine at 3 for the factory carb and at 2 for the SU's

labeledsk8r
05-13-2010, 02:30 PM
For a stock fi car it will do nothing now if u have ignition mods and cam/timeing mods then it becomes usefull

Xaisk
05-13-2010, 09:33 PM
Nah I aint stock. Im running a 32/36 Electric Weber.

I think I read somewhere it needed 2-3 PSI.
My car is idling perfect. The fuel mixture prolly needs to be lowered just a tad bit but the RPMs idle are dead set and dont budge.

Ive notice though that to have 800 or 900 RPMs while idling in drive, the screw has to be adjusted to 1200 RPM with it in park.
Soon as I put it in drive it drops from 1200 to 800, then put it back in park it goes back to 1200.

Its not really a big deal, but its very strange and annoying.

Would a regulator be recommended for my weber that already idles smoothly?

lostforawhile
05-13-2010, 09:39 PM
Nah I aint stock. Im running a 32/36 Electric Weber.

I think I read somewhere it needed 2-3 PSI.
My car is idling perfect. The fuel mixture prolly needs to be lowered just a tad bit but the RPMs idle are dead set and dont budge.

Ive notice though that to have 800 or 900 RPMs while idling in drive, the screw has to be adjusted to 1200 RPM with it in park.
Soon as I put it in drive it drops from 1200 to 800, then put it back in park it goes back to 1200.

Its not really a big deal, but its very strange and annoying.

Would a regulator be recommended for my weber that already idles smoothly?

I would run one, I was going to run a Weber originally, and the Representative from Pierce manifolds I talked to was very adamant about not going over 2 psi and using one, they are one of the biggest weber dealers in the US. It requires 2 psi, anything higher is hard on the needle and seat. your only real choice in a regulator that low is the Holley low pressure regulator, there's another one out there, once of the big name makers, but it's a return line one ,and it was over a hundred bucks. Pretty much everyone who runs low pressure carbs, weber,SU,Stromberg, etc, runs that regulator. talking about the Holley

lostforawhile
05-13-2010, 09:45 PM
This is your only real choice, other one was an AEM I believe, and very expensive, DON"T get those cheap little inline Mr. gasket or Spectre regulators, they aren't worth the card they are attached to. Pretty much everyone I know running carbs has the Holley http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-12-804/

lostforawhile
05-13-2010, 09:55 PM
If you follow the fuel hose from the gauge at the firewall, you'll see the regulator at far right , thats the holley low pressure unit, I ran it for a long time on the factory carb, never had an issue, also if your fuel pump ever goes out, check rock auto, they have the good Bosch pump, you'll pick up some fuel volume just with it, vs the cheap pumps, 90 percent of the pumps out there for these cars are cheap junk. There's a big difference between a 30 dollar pump and a hundred dollar pump. These pumps run all the time while the car is running, they are a precision device, the cheap ones simply don't hold up. They are spinning at high rpm, something like 10000 rpm I believe, cheap parts don't last at those rpms

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/moultriemanicmechanic/S4021342.jpg?t=1273816210

Xaisk
05-14-2010, 07:18 AM
Well the thing is. I got my hands on one from a friend.

The brand is Mr. Gasket. It goes 1-5 PSI

I can post pictures later. I think if you look it up on O reillys or something you might find it.

It isnt a big brand name one I dont believe but im sure it would work fine. Im going to install it this weekend and set it too 2 PSI.

lostforawhile
05-14-2010, 07:24 AM
Well the thing is. I got my hands on one from a friend.

The brand is Mr. Gasket. It goes 1-5 PSI

I can post pictures later. I think if you look it up on O reillys or something you might find it.

It isnt a big brand name one I dont believe but im sure it would work fine. Im going to install it this weekend and set it too 2 PSI.is it the inline one with the dial? they are junk, I wouldn't put one on a lawnmower, they aren't accurate and they leak.

AccordEpicenter
05-14-2010, 10:50 AM
let me put it this way, im running a stock FPR. I tried using a cheap aftermarket and it was junk. Stock FI FPR is a 1:1 type.

lostforawhile
05-14-2010, 11:07 AM
let me put it this way, im running a stock FPR. I tried using a cheap aftermarket and it was junk. Stock FI FPR is a 1:1 type.

he's running a carb, he's adding a regulator due to having a weber, which is recommended because they should run about 2 PSI ,he wants to add one of those cheapo inline deals that come in the blister packs at auto zone. They are made by the same people who make the specter junk. I made the mistake of buying one of their clear filters years ago, it unscrewed itself apart and dumped fuel all over the engine, while I was driving. I destroyed it with a hammer.

dustinksmith
09-27-2010, 07:05 PM
what did you need to make the Holley FPR work? like is it just plug and play, or do i need special fittings?

A20A1
09-30-2010, 09:51 PM
Dump any Dial in FPR, while they do work with some great results even with the stock carb, they'll only work sometimes. Most times you reach about 3,000 rpm and then it will cut fuel flow * and you'll stall out. I've tried numerous brands and different install locations with the same results.

*aka fuel lock

I'd also consider upgrading the fuel pump, especially if you feel your stock pump is on it's way out.
Just note that you might not be able to run it with the in-tank pump installed because it could add resistance to the flow so you may end up needing to modify the pickup to bypass the stock pump altogether.

he's running a carb, he's adding a regulator due to having a weber, which is recommended because they should run about 2 PSI ,he wants to add one of those cheapo inline deals that come in the blister packs at auto zone. They are made by the same people who make the specter junk. I made the mistake of buying one of their clear filters years ago, it unscrewed itself apart and dumped fuel all over the engine, while I was driving. I destroyed it with a hammer.

Haha, those clear views either came loose or the filter inside crushed under the stress from over-tightening the ends to keep it from unscrewing. They do come with a cheapo plastic bracket that is supposed to hold the ends in place but it's plastic and doesn't hold up well especially if you don't align the ends perfectly to match the notch.

I ended up using a Fram clear filter to replace my stock fuel filters.

lostforawhile
10-01-2010, 01:33 AM
what did you need to make the Holley FPR work? like is it just plug and play, or do i need special fittings?it uses standard pipe thread fittings,you can get those anywhere