PDA

View Full Version : Do you think I'm nuts?

LXiHatch88
05-13-2010, 11:05 PM
A couple of years ago, I sold my old '85 Accord to my cousin because she needed a cheap car to drive while in college. The car had 388,000 miles when I sold it to her, and other then 4th gear being out, it ran and drove pretty decent. I actually liked the car a lot, and have regretted getting rid of it ever since. I talked to her the other day, and she said 5th gear had gone out, and 3rd recently went out as well. So she's currently revving the piss out of it around town in second gear. :omg: So obviously at this rate, it's not going to stay on the road much longer without some serious work.

As much as I like my 3g, I'd really like to have my old 2g back. I got my '88 LXi hatch running pretty good with it's original engine, I had initially bought the car intending to swap the engine because it had been ran hot. Just needed a head gasket and water pump, and it's been fine. The A/C even works. Only real problem is 5th gear is out, but it still runs 65 or so down the highway no problem. Here's a pic of the '88 LXi hatch:

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh299/MavDude/sidenolouver.jpg

So basically I'm thinking about just straight up trading the '88 LXi hatch for my old 2g back. Despite 5th gear being out, I'm confident the car would serve her well for another couple of years or so. I've got a low mileage A20A3 and rebuilt 5 speed, both from an '89 lXi sitting here just begging to go into something.. I didn't know back when I had the 2g that this stuff would more or less bolt right into that car.. Here's a few pics of the '85 when I had it a few years ago:

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh299/MavDude/front.jpg

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh299/MavDude/rear.jpg

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh299/MavDude/engine.jpg

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh299/MavDude/386k.jpg

Being a Georgia car since new, it has absolutely no rust, has never been wrecked, and was relatively straight for the age and such high mileage. It was a 2 owner car when I bought it. I bought it off the original owner's son. I'm thinking once I get it back up and running reliably, I'll swap the nasty worn out brown interior out for blue or grey, have the car painted black or grey, and slap a set of Integra mesh wheels on it. Then see if I can take a 2G to 500k and beyond!

Am I nuts for wanting a 2g over a 3g? I'm just having a hard time deciding weather I should do it or not.

Lil Mike
05-14-2010, 09:05 AM
not at all 2gee ftw!!!!

Edison Carasio
05-14-2010, 09:20 AM
If you have the resources, parts, time and ability to do this then go for it.

w261w261
05-14-2010, 09:27 AM
There is no way to justify this, except to say that if it floats your boat, then it's right for you. Why do people spend $100,000 to restore a car that will only be worth $60k when done? Because it's their passion. So go with your passion. You might want to do a little check on the extent of your money and time resources.

LXiHatch88
05-14-2010, 10:46 AM
I currently drive a 72 Ford Maverick everyday. I bought it as a stripped out shell for 100 bucks, rebuilt it with junkyard parts, and have put 110k miles on it in the past 5 years. I know a thing or two about having a passion for a worthless car most people don't give a crap about. :lol: But yea, resources and ability won't be a problem. Time will probably be limited to weekends here and there. My goal is to have it running up and down the road reliably by this fall, and then I can shift focus over to the cosmetic stuff. Not looking to build a flawless show car or anything, just a decent looking car to drive back and forth to work so I can stop driving the crap out of the old Maverick, plus the Honda should save considerable money on gas.

2ndGenGuy
05-14-2010, 11:00 AM
2ndGenGuy likes this! :thumbup:

2oodoor
05-14-2010, 01:01 PM
not crazy at all, sounds like a cool plan to me:nuts::rofl:
maverick, those are even more rare than mustangs pre 78

A20A3 in a 2nd gen is a very cool swap

rc00netzero
05-14-2010, 01:52 PM
Interested in a blue 85 Accord hatchback? (Carb/Auto) I have one with fuel system / carb issues I no longer have the time/patience to fix.

Civic Accord Honda
05-14-2010, 10:35 PM
i say do it!

LXiHatch88
05-15-2010, 07:19 AM
Looks like I'll do it then. I'll make a project thread in the 2gee section to document my future progress with the car as soon as I get it back in a week or so. I've also found an '85 SEi locally that I'm looking at picking up for parts, I figure the fuel tank, fuel lines and stuff will make the EFI A20A3 swap go easier, and I'm hoping the interior will be decent, I haven't seen it in person yet.

Interested in a blue 85 Accord hatchback? (Carb/Auto) I have one with fuel system / carb issues I no longer have the time/patience to fix.

I'd be very interested. I sent you a PM, let me know if you didn't get it.

1ajs
05-15-2010, 10:34 AM
go for it BTW u can fix the 5th gear with out pulling the tranny on the 3g

LXiHatch88
05-15-2010, 01:02 PM
I went to the local Pull-A-Part today and found an '84 sedan with blue interior. Got door panels, seats, carpet and most of the plastic panels today, going back tomorrow morning to get the dash and a few other odds and ends. No tears on the seats, and the carpet should clean up pretty nice with a little scrubbing here and there. So no more poop brown interior in this '85! Must be meant to be! :thumbup:

I'm amazed at how easy it is to take the interiors apart on these cars. I literally had about 95% of the interior out in under an hour and a half, without damaging anything. The dash looks like it may put up a little challenge from what I saw though.

Oldblueaccord
05-17-2010, 01:47 PM
There some members on here looking for a rust free hatch. It might be worth more for you/her to sell it outright.

wp

LXiHatch88
05-17-2010, 02:55 PM
Mine spent all of it's life down around Savannah until I bought it last year, so it's not rust free, but it only has very little rust. Just a couple of spots above the rear wheels. Much like when I sold my 2gee to her, I don't really want to completely let this car go. At least with her, I can keep track of it and eventually get it back whenever she's done with it.

lx-i coupe
05-19-2010, 08:24 PM
Mine spent all of it's life down around Savannah until I bought it last year, so it's not rust free, but it only has very little rust. Just a couple of spots above the rear wheels. Much like when I sold my 2gee to her, I don't really want to completely let this car go. At least with her, I can keep track of it and eventually get it back whenever she's done with it.

that was my plan with my coupe, selling it to my dad, but it sort of backfired when my family moced to alaska:beat:

Vanilla Sky
05-19-2010, 08:44 PM
I wish I could afford to buy the hatch. The 5th gear is a simple swap. I can grab you one from the junkyard for little or nothing. Shame I'm out of spares.