PDA

View Full Version : back up lights not working

VIPER1988
05-14-2010, 03:56 PM
i replaced bulbs, fuse, and switch and still no backup lights. is there anything else that could cause this???

ecogabriel
05-14-2010, 04:07 PM
i replaced bulbs, fuse, and switch and still no backup lights. is there anything else that could cause this???

manual or auto?

If manual (5-speed) i suspect there is a switch for the reverse lights attached to the transmission; don't know where it is as I have an auto trans :burn:

import racer
05-14-2010, 04:10 PM
The switch is on the trans next to the clutch arm.

VIPER1988
05-14-2010, 04:14 PM
already replaced the switch. on auto trans it is mounted on the side of the shifter and cost ~$50

ecogabriel
05-14-2010, 04:17 PM
already replaced the switch. on auto trans it is mounted on the side of the shifter and cost ~$50

sorry I did not read it... I would start checking the wiring then...

VIPER1988
05-14-2010, 04:23 PM
didnt think of it before, but they stopped working when i swapped in a different motor. the motor i put in had a manual trans. i used the wiring that was already attached. maybe if i connect the two wires that would go to man. trans. switch???

VIPER1988
05-14-2010, 04:56 PM
that didnt fix it either. not sure what else it could be.

lostforawhile
05-14-2010, 05:09 PM
you changed from an auto to manual? on an auto the backup light switch wires are next to the shifter. the other wires under the hood are supposed to be under the hood, ask dr snooze i think he figured it out

VIPER1988
05-14-2010, 05:12 PM
no just the engine. engine came from a car that had a manual trans. i still have the auto trans until i have money to rebuild the trans and get new clutch ect. for the swap.

Dr_Snooz
05-14-2010, 08:38 PM
You'll just have to get in there with a voltmeter and find out where the open is. Check that you get power to one side of the switch, then the other when the switch is flipped and then to the sockets and then to ground.

VIPER1988
05-15-2010, 12:08 PM
tracked it down. the two wires that would go to the switch on a manual trans had to be cleaned and connected. works now. thanks

ecogabriel
05-15-2010, 01:05 PM
sorry I did not read it... I would start checking the wiring then...

tracked it down. the two wires that would go to the switch on a manual trans had to be cleaned and connected. works now. thanks

So, you swapped the engine and it came with the wiring for the manual transmission into your auto trans, right? Did you swap part of the engine wiring too? Just curiosity because normally the reverse light wires in the autos are not unplugged from one another. Carotman posted where in the wire maze of an auto car they are located...

Old cars, old wires, contacts that get corroded and continuity lost... yeah I've had my fair share of that plus my fried alternator yesterday...

Well, now for laugh... We told you! :kekeke:

Glad you got it figured out :idea: and fixed it :bow:

VIPER1988
05-15-2010, 01:36 PM
So, you swapped the engine and it came with the wiring for the manual transmission into your auto trans, right? Did you swap part of the engine wiring too? Just curiosity because normally the reverse light wires in the autos are not unplugged from one another. Carotman posted where in the wire maze of an auto car they are located...

yeah and i just left the wiring for the manual trans on it b/c i plan on swapping the trans. when i get the money

ecogabriel
05-15-2010, 03:46 PM
Got it...

charliekuney
05-15-2010, 08:47 PM
Do your inner tail lights work? If not, they could just not be plugged in.