PDA

View Full Version : Tightening Timing Belt

Layson
05-15-2010, 10:21 PM
The timing belt is a little loose, what is the best way to tighten it.

Can I loosen up the tensioner bolt on the pulley, then turn the bottom pulley counter clockwise? Then tighten the tensioner back up. Or is there more to this.

Thanks!

Pico
05-15-2010, 10:35 PM
How many miles on the current t/belt?
and yes just loosen the tensioner and it should automatically adjust if I remember correctly.

Strugglebucket
05-15-2010, 11:09 PM
I think the shop manual says to loosen the tensioner, and then turn from the crank pulley bolt counter-clockwise for a distance of three teeth on the cam pulley. Then re-tighten the tensioner.

lostforawhile
05-15-2010, 11:31 PM
if you have to take the cover off, go ahead and replace the belt, as far as making it tight, loosen the pivot bolt, let the tensioner take up the slack,,and re tighten the pivot bolt, if it's on correctly and it still really loose, the tensioner spring may be worn out, you should always replace the tensioner with the belt. when you put the new belt on, take the tension off of the belt by loosening the pivot bolt on the tensioner, push the tensioner over, and retighten the belt while holding it. now do the belt replacement, then release the tensioner by loosening the bolt so it takes up the belt slack. retighten the pivot bolt, and turn the engine through three rotations by hand. now recheck the timing marks.

Layson
05-16-2010, 11:44 AM
I had to pull it off a few months ago to install a freeze plug. When I placed it back on I didn't get it tight enough. So if vibrates a little bit at low RPM's. I also didn't install the cover either, so it is easy access.

Where are you guys buying your timing belts and tensioners? Can you just buy the spring? I was looking at Rockauto and there are a lot of different options.

thanks for the responses!!

lostforawhile
05-16-2010, 11:52 AM
I had to pull it off a few months ago to install a freeze plug. When I placed it back on I didn't get it tight enough. So if vibrates a little bit at low RPM's. I also didn't install the cover either, so it is easy access.

Where are you guys buying your timing belts and tensioners? Can you just buy the spring? I was looking at Rockauto and there are a lot of different options.

I just bought a kit from Rock auto with a belt and tensioner , even with shipping it was cheaper then buying it locally, it's the gates kit, thats a good brand, I have no issues with them, a lot of manufacturers use them OEM , I have a gates belt and tensioner on the three g also

lostforawhile
05-16-2010, 11:54 AM

once you release the tensioner it will take up the slack on the belt, there is no "making it tighter" like an accessory belt, the tensioner spring should have set the tension. it's a cogged belt, it's either on or off. loosen the tensioner bolt, rotate the engine by hand a few times, and retighten the bolt

Layson
05-16-2010, 01:44 PM
once you release the tensioner it will take up the slack on the belt, there is no "making it tighter" like an accessory belt, the tensioner spring should have set the tension. it's a cogged belt, it's either on or off. loosen the tensioner bolt, rotate the engine by hand a few times, and retighten the bolt

Thanks!!