PDA

View Full Version : Alternative poly engine mounts

cygnus x-1
05-17-2010, 07:21 PM
Hey, I thought you guys might be interested in something I've been working on. At the moment I'm too lazy to rehash it all here but check out the thread on Preludepower.

http://preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331411

C|

AccordEpicenter
05-17-2010, 08:06 PM
nice! What did you have to do to get the rear to fit? I might go from a solid mount in the rear to somthing like this.

LX-incredible
05-17-2010, 11:14 PM
It would likely be the same as the front, as you can use the rear mounts as replacements for the front. DX prelude came with the same mounts for the front and rear. The front accord crossmember has 2 sets of holes, one that matches the rear.

Very cool!
It would be interesting to see how it all holds up. The brackets could be easily reinforced with a little welding if necessary. Not sure on the mounts, as they don't see much stress in the applications they were designed for.

AccordB20A
05-18-2010, 02:48 AM
ive used rear mounts front and rear on my car, this is a pretty neat idea

cygnus x-1
05-18-2010, 12:07 PM
It would likely be the same as the front, as you can use the rear mounts as replacements for the front. DX prelude came with the same mounts for the front and rear. The front accord crossmember has 2 sets of holes, one that matches the rear.

Correct. As far as I can tell, this mount setup should work in the front and rear for ALL 3g Accords and 2G Preludes.

Very cool!
It would be interesting to see how it all holds up. The brackets could be easily reinforced with a little welding if necessary. Not sure on the mounts, as they don't see much stress in the applications they were designed for.

I don't think any of the brackets will be a problem unless you are running a pretty serious engine. What are the turbo guys doing for mounts?

C|

lostforawhile
05-18-2010, 12:21 PM
Good idea I suggested energy suspension mounts years ago, but I never got around to figuring out how to adapt them to the cross members. gets some dimensions up so i can fabricate them, I went as far as going to autozone and measuring dimensions for these. I also made a large aluminum bushing for the rear dog bone, with a steel center for the bolt, and a stock small bushing. it took out the majority of the engine movement. I think one of the reasons the rear and front mounts tear so often, is the dog bones get worn out, then the engine has excessive movement putting even more strain on the mounts. I'll keep my dog bone also, as it's a bracket for some underhood items now, but i think the combination of these front and rear mounts with it will really make a difference.

AccordEpicenter
05-18-2010, 12:33 PM
i got tired of breaking motor mounts, esp the front, so now i run solid mounts. Ive tried 3m window weld filled mounts before, and they lasted longer but still broke.

lostforawhile
05-18-2010, 12:36 PM
Correct. As far as I can tell, this mount setup should work in the front and rear for ALL 3g Accords and 2G Preludes.

I don't think any of the brackets will be a problem unless you are running a pretty serious engine. What are the turbo guys doing for mounts?

C|I think on the turbo cars, a combination of these and the rear dog bone would be a good idea. that dog bone can be made much stiffer. The problem with the mounts is the liquid filled mount, the idea was to keep these cars from being like the american buzz box engines of the time, the engines are so smooth though, that the liquid mount really wasn't needed.

lostforawhile
06-23-2010, 08:23 PM
you can just see my solid aluminum insert in ehe dog bone, i made a steel insert to prevent wear, and pressed the mount into the dog bone. the smaller one is a stiff poly material, it transmits some sound, but it's worth the effort.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/moultriemanicmechanic/S4021409.jpg

cygnus x-1
06-25-2010, 01:56 PM
For a turbo engine with big power it might be good to keep the dog bone.

So far the new poly mounts are doing well. They do transmit a fair amount of vibration to the rest of the car though at certain RPMs. The front bumper seems to shake a lot for some reason. I'm pondering whether some strategically placed gussets from the front cross member to the body might help. It's only supported at the ends and the engine is mounted to it nearly in the center. Or perhaps filling it with foam would help. Hmmmm...

C|

cygnus x-1
07-07-2010, 09:55 PM
Well, I've had a couple people ask about these so I'm going to throw out a price and see how many people would be interested. Lets say I can make these for $20 each for the bare brackets, or $25 each with black powder coating. How many people would be interested in picking up a set? You would need two per engine, one front, one rear. You can get the poly mounts online or at many auto parts stores for $25-$30 each. So the total cost for doing the conversion on both mounts would be about $100. At the moment I just want to see how many would be interested. I wouldn't be taking any money until I have parts to ship, so there is no commitment.

I'll be posting this over on PreludePower as well.

C|

lostforawhile
07-07-2010, 10:12 PM
Well, I've had a couple people ask about these so I'm going to throw out a price and see how many people would be interested. Lets say I can make these for $20 each for the bare brackets, or $25 each with black powder coating. How many people would be interested in picking up a set? You would need two per engine, one front, one rear. You can get the poly mounts online or at many auto parts stores for $25-$30 each. So the total cost for doing the conversion on both mounts would be about $100. At the moment I just want to see how many would be interested. I wouldn't be taking any money until I have parts to ship, so there is no commitment.

I'll be posting this over on PreludePower as well.

C|I would be very interested, but it will be towards the end of the month, if you get lucky, sometimes those mounts come on ebay cheap, talking about the inserts

lostforawhile
07-09-2010, 02:06 PM
now the factory steel engine mount brackets still are used correct? they just attach to these adapters? i have a modified rear mount bracket, it still bolts to a factory mount, it's really important to keep my engine from rocking since clearances are so close with the carbs

cygnus x-1
07-09-2010, 09:31 PM
now the factory steel engine mount brackets still are used correct? they just attach to these adapters? i have a modified rear mount bracket, it still bolts to a factory mount, it's really important to keep my engine from rocking since clearances are so close with the carbs

That is correct. The whole idea was for this to be a direct bolt on replacement for the factory motor mounts. This bracket plus poly mount combo is about as close to solid mounts as you can get without actually being solid.

Be warned though that these will transmit more vibration to the rest of the car. It doesn't bother me personally, but if you like to have a smooth quiet ride these are probably not for you. (not you specifically Lost, but everyone in general)

There's already enough interest over on Preludpower to make it worthwhile for me to make up a bunch of these, so it's pretty much going to happen. I'm not sure exactly when, but best guess is 2-3 weeks, especially for the coated ones. The coating guys get backed up sometimes.

C|

lostforawhile
07-09-2010, 09:38 PM
That is correct. The whole idea was for this to be a direct bolt on replacement for the factory motor mounts. This bracket plus poly mount combo is about as close to solid mounts as you can get without actually being solid.

Be warned though that these will transmit more vibration to the rest of the car. It doesn't bother me personally, but if you like to have a smooth quiet ride these are probably not for you. (not you specifically Lost, but everyone in general)

There's already enough interest over on Preludpower to make it worthwhile for me to make up a bunch of these, so it's pretty much going to happen. I'm not sure exactly when, but best guess is 2-3 weeks, especially for the coated ones. The coating guys get backed up sometimes.

C|

I can just spray them with epoxy paint from VHT stuff is indestructible, i probably have a half can left, it uses both the front and rear factory mount or do I need two rear mounts like some of the other conversions? the vibration is not a problem, ui already have a nearly solid dog bone, so it already transmits some vibration. every nut and bolt in the car is loctited anyway

cygnus x-1
07-09-2010, 10:07 PM
I can just spray them with epoxy paint from VHT stuff is indestructible, i probably have a half can left, it uses both the front and rear factory mount or do I need two rear mounts like some of the other conversions? the vibration is not a problem, ui already have a nearly solid dog bone, so it already transmits some vibration. every nut and bolt in the car is loctited anyway

The bracket is universal (as is the poly mount), so it works for front and rear. You should probably check your front cross member to make sure it has the alternate set of holes that match the bolt pattern of the factory rear mount, but I have yet to see a 3g that doesn't.

C|

2drSE-i
07-10-2010, 07:04 AM
I would definitely be in for two. You sir, are an innovator

87roach
07-10-2010, 08:37 AM
I would just like one please.

mykwikcoupe
07-10-2010, 12:26 PM
Ill take 2 possible 3 let me know when they are ready. Id like the 2 for sure powdered. these are sets of 2 not individual mounts. Thanks

mushroom_toy
07-14-2010, 01:16 PM
Ill do 2 powdercoated then, black of course.

cygnus x-1
07-16-2010, 09:00 PM
Awesome! I'm starting a list here mostly just to help me keep track of who wants what. This is in no particular order.

Lostforawhile, 1 pair, uncoated
2DRSE-i, 1 pair, coated
87roach, 1 pair or 1 mount?, coated
Mykwikcoupe, 2 pairs, coated
Mykwikcoupe, 1 pair, uncoated
Mushroom_toy, 2 pairs or 2 mounts?, coated

Not sure if some of you guys are talking about pairs or single mounts, so let me know if I got it wrong. Also, there is no commitment implied here, I just want to make sure I make enough. I'll make some extras too for latecomers.

I'm planning to order the material this weekend so it should show up towards the end of the week.

C|

gtmst3
07-17-2010, 06:33 AM
i would like a set but would not be able to order soon because money is tight next month maby

lostforawhile
07-17-2010, 07:08 AM
Awesome! I'm starting a list here mostly just to help me keep track of who wants what. This is in no particular order.

2DRSE-i, 1 pair, coated

Not sure if some of you guys are talking about pairs or single mounts, so let me know if I got it wrong. Also, there is no commitment implied here, I just want to make sure I make enough. I'll make some extras too for latecomers.

I'm planning to order the material this weekend so it should show up towards the end of the week.

C|

it'll be sometime after the first of the month now, just making sure you know,

cygnus x-1
07-17-2010, 07:54 AM
That's fine guys, whenever you're ready.

2DRSE-i, 1 pair, coated
Gtmst3, 1 pair, coated

C|

cygnus x-1
07-17-2010, 08:08 AM
I was looking at all the 3gs at the junkyard awhile back and noticed that a few of them have a cast front engine bracket, while some are stamped. They're pretty close in terms of shape but not exactly the same. There weren't enough cars at the yard to figure out any kind of pattern as to which cars have what brackets. So I'm hoping you guys can help. If your front engine bracket looks like the one in this picture, could you tell me the year, model (DX/LX/LX-i/SE-i), and transmission type in you car?

As far as I can tell all the 3gs use the same front mount, and the engine blocks are all the same. So the only thing that could be different is the cross members. This shouldn't have any effect on the adapter brackets I'm making but I want to understand the difference to make sure.

Thanks!

http://bluegreenlabs.com/Prelude/Mods/MotorMounts/CastBracket.jpg

C|

lostforawhile
07-17-2010, 08:14 AM
That's fine guys, whenever you're ready.

2DRSE-i, 1 pair, coated
Gtmst3, 1 pair, coated

C|thanks, I'll be putting up money that we will have to budget in, but it's not like these are made every day, with my setup, it's really important to keep engine movement to a minimum

A18A
07-17-2010, 08:41 AM
I was looking at all the 3gs at the junkyard awhile back and noticed that a few of them have a cast front engine bracket, while some are stamped. They're pretty close in terms of shape but not exactly the same. There weren't enough cars at the yard to figure out any kind of pattern as to which cars have what brackets. So I'm hoping you guys can help. If your front engine bracket looks like the one in this picture, could you tell me the year, model (DX/LX/LX-i/SE-i), and transmission type in you car?

As far as I can tell all the 3gs use the same front mount, and the engine blocks are all the same. So the only thing that could be different is the cross members. This shouldn't have any effect on the adapter brackets I'm making but I want to understand the difference to make sure.

Thanks!

http://bluegreenlabs.com/Prelude/Mods/MotorMounts/CastBracket.jpg

C|

i can't remember exactly how it goes, but i think those cast mounts are on the facelift (88-89) and the steel ones are 86-87. the only issue you would probably have using the cast mount is needing a slightly longer bolt cause of how thick it is

cygnus x-1
07-17-2010, 10:10 AM
i can't remember exactly how it goes, but i think those cast mounts are on the facelift (88-89) and the steel ones are 86-87. the only issue you would probably have using the cast mount is needing a slightly longer bolt cause of how thick it is

That was exactly my first thought, but then I saw an '88 with the stamped bracket, and confusion set in. Good point about the longer bolt though. When the new mounts go out I'll have to make sure people get a longer top bolt if they need it.

C|

MessyHonda
07-17-2010, 01:26 PM
il take 2 mounts also as long as i get rid of my dog mount

lostforawhile
07-17-2010, 02:52 PM
I'll have about a quarter inch clearance between the right fuel bowl and the master cyl, most of the rotation is front to back anyway, with these, and my almost solid dog bone, it should reduce engine movement way down.

carotman
07-17-2010, 03:36 PM
I noticed that the EFI engines had the cast bracket.

87roach
07-18-2010, 07:21 PM
Oh sorry, I meant a single mount(NOT a pair), coated is fine.

mushroom_toy
07-19-2010, 11:40 AM
Yeah Im wanting a pair, or 2 mounts.

guaynabo89
07-20-2010, 08:01 AM
my hatchback is an 87 lxi made in japan and has the stamped mount bracket.

Not to scare you, but I believe there are 2 different front mounts for the Accord.

Reason why I say this is because my original front oem mount was an inch shorter than ones at auto parts stores. They all say 86-89, but I believe somewhere along the line the 2 differnt height front mounts got combined into only one higher mount. Not to mention the higher mount has a longer bolt.

SO basicly there is a higher mount(longer top bolt) used with the cast bracket, and a shorter mount(smaller top bolt) with the stamped steel bracket.

I was also going to use the gm trany mount as Sean had used it on his with a custom front bracket for his turbo setup, but decided on full custom instead.

After going to every single auto parts locally and running into the same problem, I finally just started using rear mounts in the front until I got a custom one. The mounts sold at all my local auto parts stores were an inch too tall along with the longer bolt. I installed one just to make sure I wasnt going crazy and it made my engine sit uneven and much higher in the front.

on another note I have never seen a 86-87 with a cast bracket. They were all stamped steel. I also thought the cast bracket was a revision for the 88-89 as those are the only ones I have seen with the cast bracket.

mykwikcoupe
07-20-2010, 03:53 PM
thanks, I'll be putting up money that we will have to budget in, but it's not like these are made every day, with my setup, it's really important to keep engine movement to a minimum

would you like paypal before so you can get these going or would you prefer to wait till they are actually done?

cygnus x-1
07-20-2010, 05:00 PM
I'll have about a quarter inch clearance between the right fuel bowl and the master cyl, most of the rotation is front to back anyway, with these, and my almost solid dog bone, it should reduce engine movement way down.

You would easily be fine with just the mounts. But since you're using the dog bone bracket for other stuff, I agree you might as well keep it.

would you like paypal before so you can get these going or would you prefer to wait till they are actually done?

I appreciate the offer, but it's not necessary. The material isn't expensive so it's not a big deal.

2DRSE-i, 1 pair, coated
87roach, 1 mount, coated
Mushroom_toy, 1 pair, coated
Gtmst3, 1 pair, coated
MessyHonda, 1 pair, coated

C|

A18A
07-20-2010, 05:51 PM
on another note I have never seen a 86-87 with a cast bracket. They were all stamped steel. I also thought the cast bracket was a revision for the 88-89 as those are the only ones I have seen with the cast bracket.

i guess we can say that only the 88-89 fuel injected accords got those cast mounts then :)

cygnus x-1
07-20-2010, 09:49 PM
That's some good info there. It's not surprising that the aftermarket mounts would be wrong for some years. Pistons are the same way with the top dish that's bigger than on the OEM pistons on the '88-'89 FI engines.

So what this means is that if your engine happens to have the cast bracket, you might have to swap it for a stamped bracket to use the poly mounts. Or come up with some sort of spacer to take up the difference. Although that would need an even longer top bolt so switching to a stamped bracket is probably better. It's lighter too.

So do any of you guys on the list have a cast bracket?

C|

my hatchback is an 87 lxi made in japan and has the stamped mount bracket.

Not to scare you, but I believe there are 2 different front mounts for the Accord.

Reason why I say this is because my original front oem mount was an inch shorter than ones at auto parts stores. They all say 86-89, but I believe somewhere along the line the 2 differnt height front mounts got combined into only one higher mount. Not to mention the higher mount has a longer bolt.

SO basicly there is a higher mount(longer top bolt) used with the cast bracket, and a shorter mount(smaller top bolt) with the stamped steel bracket.

I was also going to use the gm trany mount as Sean had used it on his with a custom front bracket for his turbo setup, but decided on full custom instead.

After going to every single auto parts locally and running into the same problem, I finally just started using rear mounts in the front until I got a custom one. The mounts sold at all my local auto parts stores were an inch too tall along with the longer bolt. I installed one just to make sure I wasnt going crazy and it made my engine sit uneven and much higher in the front.

gtmst3
07-21-2010, 02:43 AM
That's some good info there. It's not surprising that the aftermarket mounts would be wrong for some years. Pistons are the same way with the top dish that's bigger than on the OEM pistons on the '88-'89 FI engines.

So what this means is that if your engine happens to have the cast bracket, you might have to swap it for a stamped bracket to use the poly mounts. Or come up with some sort of spacer to take up the difference. Although that would need an even longer top bolt so switching to a stamped bracket is probably better. It's lighter too.

So do any of you guys on the list have a cast bracket?

C|

i looked i cant really tell

InAccordance
07-22-2010, 01:08 PM
count me in... 1 pair (front/back)

87roach
08-06-2010, 11:51 AM
Uhm, well when I swapped in that 89 fi motor it came with the cast bracket. However I couldn't find the bolts for it so I put the stamped bracket and it worked fine.

mushroom_toy
08-19-2010, 10:50 AM
Any news, about to rip my old engine out...

cygnus x-1
08-19-2010, 10:05 PM
I have all the material but haven't been able to do much with it. Just too much damn work to do at the moment. And unfortunately I don't get paid by the hour. :hmph:

The next few days will be hell but we should be over the hump after that. For a little while anyway.

C|

lostforawhile
11-12-2010, 10:11 AM
I have all the material but haven't been able to do much with it. Just too much damn work to do at the moment. And unfortunately I don't get paid by the hour. :hmph:

The next few days will be hell but we should be over the hump after that. For a little while anyway.

C|

ok just let me know, my car isn't going anywhere right now, but still want to get a set

wh1skea
11-19-2010, 06:54 PM
$25/pc powdercoated? I might be able to get them made cheaper for you. Where I work, we deal with tubing fabrication (we build magazine/candy racks for grocery stores). We also powdercoat in-house. If you'd like, I can get a quote, to see what I can get them for.

carotman
11-20-2010, 06:07 AM
You know what? I'll take one of your coated mounts :D

turabaka
11-20-2010, 04:02 PM
yeah. I'd be interested in getting a pair of mounts as well.

MessyHonda
11-24-2010, 01:03 AM
$25/pc powdercoated? I might be able to get them made cheaper for you. Where I work, we deal with tubing fabrication (we build magazine/candy racks for grocery stores). We also powdercoat in-house. If you'd like, I can get a quote, to see what I can get them for.

till you make some we wont buy

wh1skea
11-24-2010, 04:33 AM
I can't make them without specs and an OK from Angus. Its his project.

cygnus x-1
11-28-2010, 10:40 AM
Hey guys, I haven't forgotten about these. Just been busy with work and other higher priority projects. I fully intend to get back to this when I can.

As for farming out the work, I do appreciate the offer but it would kind of defeat the purpose of me doing the job at all, which is to make a little money on the side by building cool parts. I spent quite a bit of time figuring out how to make these work, so it would be nice to get something back for that. And besides, welding and machining is the fun part! If I was going to outsource work it would be the boring stuff like shipping and order tracking. :lol:

Oh, and my name is Chris not Angus BTW. You're thinking of LX-Incredible.

Anyway thanks for hanging in there guys. We'll get there.

C|

lostforawhile
01-18-2011, 02:18 PM
any updates on these? i just discovered my 3 year old low mileage front mount is already cracked, and it was a moog not a cheap one,

cygnus x-1
05-19-2011, 02:56 PM
Hey guys,

I'm getting back to working on these after I finish the OBD1 adapters tomorrow. Just thought I would bump this so you know, and to say thanks for being patient. :wave:

C|

gfrg88
05-19-2011, 09:34 PM
count me in for a set :)

87roach
05-20-2011, 06:52 AM
It's not a set, it's just the rear one.

cygnus x-1
05-20-2011, 09:45 AM
It's not a set, it's just the rear one.

Actually it will work for both if you have the *normal* short style front mount with the stamped bracket. If you have the weird taller front mount (on some '89s I think) with the cast bracket you will probably have to switch to the stamped bracket. I have a volunteer with the taller mount willing to try it out though, just need to get him some parts.

C|

gfrg88
05-20-2011, 11:40 AM
Like I said, count me in for a set ;)

lostforawhile
05-20-2011, 01:17 PM
Actually it will work for both if you have the *normal* short style front mount with the stamped bracket. If you have the weird taller front mount (on some '89s I think) with the cast bracket you will probably have to switch to the stamped bracket. I have a volunteer with the taller mount willing to try it out though, just need to get him some parts.

C|

If you need me to try one to test it, I also have one of the weird tall mounts around. I have my own front mount I designed, but I will take some measurements if needed

87roach
05-20-2011, 01:58 PM
Oops.

Well that's cool!

Australian 86
06-11-2011, 07:33 PM
Hey are these things for sale soon because im either gonna get these or a full set of motor mounts from rockauto... would be good to know soon because im putting in a big order at rock auto.

cygnus x-1
06-12-2011, 12:38 AM
Hey are these things for sale soon because im either gonna get these or a full set of motor mounts from rockauto... would be good to know soon because im putting in a big order at rock auto.

I'm trying to get these done ASAP. Things kinda stalled in the last couple weeks due to some other high priority work I had to do. And then my last band saw blade broke while I was cutting up the square tubing for these. :mad: New blades will be here Monday so then work can resume.

I did manage to build a set and send them to a guy on Preludepower that has an '89 LX-i with the cast bracket and taller engine mount. He's going to test fit them to see what they need to work on engines with the cast bracket. I'll definitely report back what we come up with.

One thing I would like to reiterate for anyone that hasn't read the entire thread, is that these poly mounts WILL be harder than OEM type mounts. That means they WILL transmit more engine vibration to the car. If you want something a little softer you could try using an OEM type (rubber) GM transmission mount instead of the poly mount from Energy. It would be more expensive than just getting the regular stock mounts but you would at least have the option then for rubber or poly.

Finally, I wanted to mention that depending on the financial situation I might start collecting money when the parts are done and ready for powder coating. Cash has been tight lately and I would rather do the whole batch (of 50) at once if possible. Normally I don't like to collect money until parts are ready to ship but in this case it might make things easier. Anyway I'll let you guys know when the time comes.

C|

lostforawhile
06-12-2011, 06:48 AM
I'm trying to get these done ASAP. Things kinda stalled in the last couple weeks due to some other high priority work I had to do. And then my last band saw blade broke while I was cutting up the square tubing for these. :mad: New blades will be here Monday so then work can resume.

I did manage to build a set and send them to a guy on Preludepower that has an '89 LX-i with the cast bracket and taller engine mount. He's going to test fit them to see what they need to work on engines with the cast bracket. I'll definitely report back what we come up with.

One thing I would like to reiterate for anyone that hasn't read the entire thread, is that these poly mounts WILL be harder than OEM type mounts. That means they WILL transmit more engine vibration to the car. If you want something a little softer you could try using an OEM type (rubber) GM transmission mount instead of the poly mount from Energy. It would be more expensive than just getting the regular stock mounts but you would at least have the option then for rubber or poly.

Finally, I wanted to mention that depending on the financial situation I might start collecting money when the parts are done and ready for powder coating. Cash has been tight lately and I would rather do the whole batch (of 50) at once if possible. Normally I don't like to collect money until parts are ready to ship but in this case it might make things easier. Anyway I'll let you guys know when the time comes.

C|you don't need to powdercoat mine, i have a favor at the powdercoaters on the field where I work, so that will save you money, i'm not worried about vibration being transmitted into the car, we don't need no stinking mushy mounts!! :D I just need one to go at the back, as I made my own front mount

Australian 86
06-12-2011, 05:51 PM
I don't mind a little idle vibration, but at the moment when I decelerate with the gears after accelerating I get a horrible shudder, which, from what I have been told by a mechanic is a front engine mount... would this mount fix the problem, or would it be worse in the way of shuddering over an oem? Also, what do you recon postage would be to australia (for 2)?
Thanks!

cygnus x-1
06-12-2011, 11:38 PM
I don't mind a little idle vibration, but at the moment when I decelerate with the gears after accelerating I get a horrible shudder, which, from what I have been told by a mechanic is a front engine mount... would this mount fix the problem, or would it be worse in the way of shuddering over an oem? Also, what do you recon postage would be to australia (for 2)?
Thanks!

These will definitely fix a sloppy factory mount. That's the reason I did this mod, I was tired of the accel/decel wind up you get with the rubber mounts. I also wanted to get rid of that stupid torque bar. I hate that thing.

If you just want the brackets the postage would be about $14 US. If you need the poly mounts too it would probably be double that, unless I can cram everything into a single flat rate box and it's less than 4 lbs. I would have to check the weights on everything. You can probably get the poly mount locally though.

C|

Australian 86
06-13-2011, 05:02 PM
Hmmm I'm a little confused to what you are saying here... At the moment I have the original short motor mount that was made for the car in 85, so all I want is two of your replacement mounts (one for the back one for the front) or am I missing something here?
Thanks!

87roach
06-13-2011, 05:40 PM
Cygnus is making brackets to adapt to a generic motor mount that is readily available instead of custom items that are just one off and non replaceable. This way if your mount breaks or gets damaged, etc. you can just go get the same one and bam.

He wants to sell you just the brackets and for you to buy the actual mount's to save you money. Take a read in the prelude thread he posted on the first page.

cygnus x-1
06-13-2011, 06:02 PM
Hmmm I'm a little confused to what you are saying here... At the moment I have the original short motor mount that was made for the car in 85, so all I want is two of your replacement mounts (one for the back one for the front) or am I missing something here?
Thanks!

Ok. What I'm actually selling is a bracket that lets you use an off-the-shelf polyurethane transmission mount as an engine mount. The bracket is the rectangular thing with the tabs on it (---EDIT--- see below). In addition to the bracket you also need the poly transmission mount, which at least in the US is available at many auto parts stores and lots of places online. I don't know if the poly mount is available in AU so if need be I can get them for you and send them with the brackets.

So the cost to replace both stock engine mounts is $50 for the two brackets, plus whatever the two poly mounts cost, last I recall they were around $25 - $30 each depending on where you get them. That totals to about $100. It is a little more expensive than just getting stock type mounts (especially from Rockauto) but if you want a more solid type mount it's the way to go.

Hope that clears up your confusion. And just so you know this isn't a one time group buy or anything. I plan to keep these in stock and offer them for sale for the foreseeable future.

EDIT: Dang, I never posted any pictures of these! See my next post...

C|

cygnus x-1
06-13-2011, 06:14 PM
Here is the part I'm selling:

http://bluegreenlabs.com/Prelude/Mods/MotorMounts/MountAdapter1.jpg

The poly mount that you have to buy is this:

http://www.streetsideauto.com/p/energy-suspension-31108g/

http://c452191.r91.cf2.rackcdn.com/images/bdvq/image/259x192/3_1108g_v1_20100824.jpg

And then this is the bracket and poly mount installed on the front side engine mount:

http://bluegreenlabs.com/Prelude/Mods/MotorMounts/PolyMountFront2.jpg

C|

cygnus x-1
06-13-2011, 06:24 PM
you don't need to powdercoat mine, i have a favor at the powdercoaters on the field where I work, so that will save you money, i'm not worried about vibration being transmitted into the car, we don't need no stinking mushy mounts!! :D I just need one to go at the back, as I made my own front mount

Yeah, I remember that you wanted a plain one.

The extra vibration doesn't bother me at all, although it does accentuate some of the existing interior rattles, like in the dash. Not that it matters with the loud exhaust and ITB sucking sound.

C|

lostforawhile
06-13-2011, 06:34 PM
Yeah, I remember that you wanted a plain one.

The extra vibration doesn't bother me at all, although it does accentuate some of the existing interior rattles, like in the dash. Not that it matters with the loud exhaust and ITB sucking sound.

C|yea, when mine is done, I don't think I will hear the dash rattling, :)

Australian 86
06-13-2011, 08:39 PM
hmmm ok great thanks for the help... im thinking with the price of the poly mount (i understand now! :D) including postage to Australia it will cost over $100... and im already placing a big order at rockauto... ill see if i can find some really cheap mounts, and if i can i'd love to get a set of mounts! (its a shame we dont get more of the energy suspension parts here, because i already need to get a shifter bushing kit...)
Thanks!

cygnus x-1
06-14-2011, 12:03 PM
I think there might be a company down there that does poly mounts, but I can't remember. Let me check with one of the AU members on Preludepower.

C|

cygnus x-1
06-15-2011, 01:38 PM
No word on poly mounts in Oz yet. It's being looked into but could be a week or so before we know.

C|

cygnus x-1
06-23-2011, 09:40 AM
Soon...

http://bluegreenlabs.com/Prelude/General/MotorMounts.jpg

C|

cygnus x-1
06-23-2011, 09:35 PM
We're moving along now. The ears are all welded on and the holes drilled. Tomorrow the weld nuts get tacked on and then they're off for powder coating. I'm only going to do them in black since doing custom colors gets more expensive, and it's not a very visible part anyway. They won't go to the coater until monday so if you want one bare let me know before then. Right now I only know of one person that wants a bare one (Lostforawhile), but if more people ask then I might keep a few bare just in case. No guarantees though after Monday.

It will take probably a week or so for the coating, but they're far enough along now that I can start collecting money. The coated ones will be $25 each, or if you want bare ones it's $20 each. I don't have a solid price on shipping yet but I expect it to be about $5 per pair anywhere in the US. If you only want one it will still be the same shipping price as a pair. If you want more than 4 I'll get you a custom shipping quote. For you guys outside the US, I'll have to get you a custom shipping quote.

Just so everyone is clear on this, YOU NEED TO BUY THE POLY MOUNT YOURSELF. What I'm selling here is only the bracket that lets you use the poly mount. The poly mount is part# 3.1108 (red) or 3.1108g (black) from Energy suspension. These are available online from many places and are also stocked at many auto parts stores since it is a common upgrade for many GM vehicles and I think Jeep also. If for some reason you can't get the poly mounts (outside the US for example), let me know and we'll work something out. About the cheapest I've seen them is from Summit Racing.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ENS-3-1108G/

So whenever you guys are ready, just PM me with how many you want and I'll send you my Paypal or mailing address if you want to send a check or money order. I have 46 of these parts right now, but if they all sell I'll go ahead and do another batch. This is posted over on PreludePower as well, so if you're a member there too please don't contact me from both places, otherwise confusion will ensue.

Hopefully I'm not forgetting anything, but if you have any questions please feel free to ask either here or over PM.

Thanks!

C| (Chris)

cygnus x-1
06-24-2011, 04:13 PM
Woohoo! The brackets are done and ready for powder coating. Target date for ready to ship is a week from Monday.

C|

gfrg88
06-24-2011, 05:06 PM
Sweeeet :thumbup:

hondalude86
06-24-2011, 07:27 PM
pm sent from a good paying, and of course crappy memory customer!

cygnus x-1
06-28-2011, 07:38 PM
The brackets are in for coating now. Should be ready early next week!

C|

stat1K
06-29-2011, 05:26 AM
cool deal cygnus, good work as always.

mykwikcoupe
06-29-2011, 06:20 AM
I like the picture but can you post a pic showing it from the other side as well? Also if your test fit guy can post a pic of the cast mount or rear location installed. Thanks

cygnus x-1
06-29-2011, 08:46 AM
I like the picture but can you post a pic showing it from the other side as well? Also if your test fit guy can post a pic of the cast mount or rear location installed. Thanks

You know I still haven't heard from the test fit guy. I'll PM him and see what's up.

Is this the picture you're looking for?

http://bluegreenlabs.com/Prelude/Mods/MotorMounts/PolyMountFront1.jpg

I took some of the back too.

http://bluegreenlabs.com/Prelude/Mods/MotorMounts/PolyMountRear1.jpg
http://bluegreenlabs.com/Prelude/Mods/MotorMounts/PolyMountRear2.jpg
http://bluegreenlabs.com/Prelude/Mods/MotorMounts/PolyMountRear3.jpg

C|

mykwikcoupe
06-29-2011, 09:56 AM
that is what i was looking for. For some reason i thought the new poly mount would have 2 bolts on top and wanted to be sure it looked alright. i was wrong in my assumption. Those look great. I will send payment this week for 3 mounts.

gfrg88
06-29-2011, 02:38 PM
Let me know when you need my payment for front and rear :thumbup:

cygnus x-1
06-29-2011, 07:17 PM
that is what i was looking for. For some reason i thought the new poly mount would have 2 bolts on top and wanted to be sure it looked alright. i was wrong in my assumption. Those look great. I will send payment this week for 3 mounts.

The poly mounts actually have 3 holes on the top, because in some applications the outer two are used instead of the inner one. In our case we would only use the center hole.

I *might* be able to cram 3 brackets in a single box, in which case shipping would only be $5 instead of $10. So if you can wait until they come back from coating I'll check that out and maybe save you $5. :D

I also checked with the test fit guy. He's going to try and fit them this weekend so hopefully we'll find out what's needed for the cast bracket.

C|

cygnus x-1
06-29-2011, 07:20 PM
Let me know when you need my payment for front and rear :thumbup:

Pretty much anytime really. I'll PM you probably tomorrow.

C|

gfrg88
06-30-2011, 06:08 PM
PM me whenever you need it :thumbup:

mykwikcoupe
06-30-2011, 09:44 PM
sounds good to me just send me a paypal request via pm.

cygnus x-1
07-07-2011, 09:18 PM
Alright, I got the brackets back from being coated, and they came out really nice! So I'll be shipping them out starting tomorrow. If you've already sent your money I'll PM you a tracking number when your parts ship. If I haven't collected your money yet expect a PM very soon.

I'm still waiting to find out about using these with the cast front bracket. The guy testing this had a sudden clutch problem that had to be fixed before he could do the test fitting, but he expects this to be resolved soon. Of course I'll let you guys know when I find out.

C|

gfrg88
07-08-2011, 08:37 AM
Ygm.

87roach
07-08-2011, 05:42 PM
Good news!

mykwikcoupe
07-08-2011, 08:02 PM
I plan to use one with the b20a cast front mount. I can test for you if you want. Did you ever find out if 3 fit in a box.

cygnus x-1
07-12-2011, 08:34 AM
Hey guys, just a quick note to let you know what's going on. I was not home most of the weekend so didn't get a chance to do much. Then Monday morning a huge storm went through and knocked out power to something like 860,000 homes in the area, including mine. The power company doesn't even know when power will be restored, they're just saying "it could be several days". Fortunately I didn't suffer any damage except for lots of tree branches in the yard that I had to clean up. No lights or internet sucks, but at least we still have internet at work. And I've seen houses with trees through the roof so it could have been much worse. Thankful for that.

Anyway, I picked up a bunch of boxes from the PO on the way in this morning and I'm going to try and send out as many mounts as I can tomorrow.

Thanks for the patience guys.

C|

87roach
07-12-2011, 11:24 AM
Wow yikes! Good thing you were unscathed.

hondalude86
07-12-2011, 06:51 PM
Yeah, the weather has been super crazy! The amount of rain we've recieved this year in CO has been off the charts, and the amount of snow we got last winter in the mountains is going to cause massive flooding once the snow starts to melt, which is should have already been melting but hasnt really, just weird

gfrg88
07-13-2011, 08:46 PM
:woot: Got my tracking number!! Thanks a lot!! Looking forward to getting them :D

lostforawhile
07-13-2011, 09:09 PM
Hey guys, just a quick note to let you know what's going on. I was not home most of the weekend so didn't get a chance to do much. Then Monday morning a huge storm went through and knocked out power to something like 860,000 homes in the area, including mine. The power company doesn't even know when power will be restored, they're just saying "it could be several days". Fortunately I didn't suffer any damage except for lots of tree branches in the yard that I had to clean up. No lights or internet sucks, but at least we still have internet at work. And I've seen houses with trees through the roof so it could have been much worse. Thankful for that.

Anyway, I picked up a bunch of boxes from the PO on the way in this morning and I'm going to try and send out as many mounts as I can tomorrow.

Thanks for the patience guys.

C|
I will get it sent out to you, glad you are ok, I don't even want to bring up paypal right now, grrrrrr, so money order it is

cygnus x-1
07-14-2011, 10:45 AM
I will get it sent out to you, glad you are ok,

Cool, thanks.

I'm on day 4 with no electricity. What's funny is that the one thing I'm missing the most right now is the Tour de France coverage. Other than the Olympics it's the only sporting event I really look forward to watching, and it only happens for 3 weeks each year. So of course Murphy has to poke his head in and ruin things. <sigh>

At least the street lights were on last night so they're getting closer.

I don't even want to bring up paypal right now, grrrrrr, so money order it is

Yeah. Paypal is convenient but they kill you with fees. And it takes 2-3 days to transfer money from Paypal to your bank, yet it's only seconds when going from your bank to Paypal. Funny how that is. Checks and money orders are just fine with me.

Oh, and mykwikcoupe, I got your money. Will get your parts out tomorrow. I assume the address you have listed in Paypal is correct?

C|

mykwikcoupe
07-14-2011, 02:16 PM
yes it is, lost as payment for the parts I can send PayPal for these for you if you would like

cygnus x-1
11-06-2011, 02:32 PM
Bump for cool parts! Still have some available. Price is $55 per pair shipped anywhere in the US.

C|

gfrg88
11-06-2011, 03:33 PM
Still haven't gotten mine in. BUT locals that are running these LOVE them!! They're holding up to some serious power!! Can't get anything better for the price!

AccordEpicenter
12-21-2011, 03:19 PM
are these still available? Im thinking my solid rear trans mount is rattling the piss out of my car...

cygnus x-1
12-22-2011, 11:35 AM
are these still available? Im thinking my solid rear trans mount is rattling the piss out of my car...

Sure are. I don't know how much of an improvement this would make coming from a sold mount though. Probably a little better but I would bet these are closer to a solid mount than a stock mount in terms of vibration. They are cheap though and the poly mounts are replaceable.
PM me if you're interested.

C|

ShyBoyCA6
02-05-2012, 10:13 PM
So any word on how these new mounts handle? i know it has idle vibration but im ok with that. Thinking about buying a set and just hope CygnusX-1 has some in stock. oh i not backing out since ill be doing my rebuild soon and want better mounts :D.

ShyBoyCA6
09-16-2012, 11:57 AM
Update:

So I'm doing a test fit for the 88-89 model bracket for Chris also know as Cygnus. Here are the results :

Front: http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae295/Prettyboi_22_/2012-09-16_12-45-52_855.jpg

Rear: http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae295/Prettyboi_22_/2012-09-16_12-46-10_353.jpg

And how engine sits;
http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae295/Prettyboi_22_/2012-09-16_12-45-24_476.jpg

http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae295/Prettyboi_22_/2012-09-16_12-45-06_187.jpg

cygnus x-1
09-18-2012, 06:28 AM
Cool!! It's good to see these working out with the (sort of) oddball cast bracket. Did you happen to try it without the spacer? It looks like it would lean without it.

C|

import racer
09-18-2012, 01:02 PM
Hey ShyBoy what is that clutch cable from,looks shorter than stock.Is that the teg one.

ShyBoyCA6
09-18-2012, 01:28 PM
Cool!! It's good to see these working out with the (sort of) oddball cast bracket. Did you happen to try it without the spacer? It looks like it would lean without it.

C|

Yeah they are great! Yeah i tried it without the spacer and leaned to much and with spacer it sat just right. I can't remember if i used a washer where the bracket meets the spacer or not i may of used one and one for the bolt.

Hey ShyBoy what is that clutch cable from,looks shorter than stock.Is that the teg one.

Its a teg one.

gfrg88
05-05-2013, 05:53 PM
Are there supposed to be a front and rear piece? Both of mine are the exact same, but I can't bolt up the front. It's not even close. Help Chris :(

knifemind
05-05-2013, 07:56 PM
They are both the same. Perhaps you have the cast bracket shown a couple posts up?? I've installed in both accord & prelude w/ no issue. Pics may help...what exactly isn't lining up?

gfrg88
05-06-2013, 05:06 AM
They are both the same. Perhaps you have the cast bracket shown a couple posts up?? I've installed in both accord & prelude w/ no issue. Pics may help...what exactly isn't lining up?

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b192/gfrg88/IMAG0004_zps11f22450.jpg

My problem is the crossmember. I don't have 4 threaded holes like everyone else. So I have to get one from a base model?

cygnus x-1
05-06-2013, 08:37 AM
Hey Gio,

I just responded in your other thread but I'll copy it here too for reference. Honda threw us a curve again...

Yeah, I just recently discovered that the SI Preludes have a different front cross member that only has the holes for the front style mount. :banghead: For whatever reason the Accords have both sets of holes so they're fine. I'm working on a revised bracket that uses the front style holes that will work with the SI Prelude and with the Accords, but I'm not sure when they'll be available. More people are suddenly running into this issue though so I'll see if I can expedite things. When they are ready I'll send you a new front bracket at no charge. Not sure I still have your address so I'll PM you if I need it.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

So far I only know of one other person that I sent brackets to that has this problem, but if anyone else runs into it let me know and I'll send you one of the revised brackets where they're ready.

C|

lostforawhile
05-06-2013, 09:49 AM
Hey Gio,

I just responded in your other thread but I'll copy it here too for reference. Honda threw us a curve again...

Yeah, I just recently discovered that the SI Preludes have a different front cross member that only has the holes for the front style mount. :banghead: For whatever reason the Accords have both sets of holes so they're fine. I'm working on a revised bracket that uses the front style holes that will work with the SI Prelude and with the Accords, but I'm not sure when they'll be available. More people are suddenly running into this issue though so I'll see if I can expedite things. When they are ready I'll send you a new front bracket at no charge. Not sure I still have your address so I'll PM you if I need it.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

So far I only know of one other person that I sent brackets to that has this problem, but if anyone else runs into it let me know and I'll send you one of the revised brackets where they're ready.

C|
Ill take his one that doesnt fit, :D it's going to be a while before I can afford any parts again

cygnus x-1
08-08-2013, 07:53 AM
I just ordered the material for the revised front brackets. So I should be able to get them made up soon.

This is what the new design will look like:

C|

Tdurr
08-08-2013, 12:38 PM
good stuff

slowA20tog22
01-22-2014, 11:21 PM
Are these still aviable? Its about to be tax season time to upgrade

Tdurr
01-23-2014, 07:19 AM
yes! I have been meaning to find this thread

cygnus x-1
01-23-2014, 09:45 AM
I have a few left but I'm running low and need to make more soon. Also still need to make some of the new models for the front.

C|

lostforawhile
01-23-2014, 05:21 PM
you still have the non powdercoated one with the broke weld?

cygnus x-1
01-24-2014, 10:06 AM
you still have the non powdercoated one with the broke weld?

It is powdercoated, but yeah I still have it. It actually popped in the oven while the powdercoating was curing.

C|

gfrg88
01-24-2014, 12:36 PM
I'm gonna need another set in a couple months..

slowA20tog22
01-25-2014, 01:02 PM
Score cant wait for tax money !!

Accordtheory
06-22-2014, 08:38 PM
I hope I don't annoy anyone by saying this, since I haven't had the time read this whole thing right now, I'll check back and read later, but I get the idea. But in general, soft mounts with something else for torque control is a good way to go. Soft mounts for holding the weight of the powertrain with something else for controlling its motion under torsional loading, ie, acceleration. I like the dogbone design in principle. I wish I had used it with my B series swap, with softer main mounts.

Currently I am researching mounts to swap a cummins from this old dodge I just bought into my chevy, and I do not want it to shake the hell out of my truck. For you guys who have never seen it, some people have even used braided cable as torque mounts.

cygnus x-1
06-23-2014, 08:29 AM
I hope I don't annoy anyone by saying this, since I haven't had the time read this whole thing right now, I'll check back and read later, but I get the idea. But in general, soft mounts with something else for torque control is a good way to go. Soft mounts for holding the weight of the powertrain with something else for controlling its motion under torsional loading, ie, acceleration. I like the dogbone design in principle. I wish I had used it with my B series swap, with softer main mounts.

The concept of the factory design is fine. I just think it could have been executed in a much more streamlined fashion. The dog bone is enormous for what it does, and for some reason I could never figure out they made it really sloppy, which limits its effectiveness.

C|

Accordtheory
06-23-2014, 08:06 PM
I can tell you why they made it sloppy. Look at the axis the powertrain pivots on under load, (which is basically the axis of torsional vibration, also) and then look where the dogbone thing is. A little movement of the motor imparts a lot of movement into the dogbone. In other words, that dogbone has a lot of leverage over the powertrain. (for comparison, look at the 94-01 integra front torque mounts, I think the dogbone is a better design. The integra mounts have a huge amount of force imparted into them, they have less leverage over the powertrain in comparison. They are also extremely harsh when shifting quickly.)
Anyway, the dogbone is designed to control torque upon hard acceleration/deceleration, without transmitting vibration into the body/chassis under normal driving. Designing it with slack in one of the bushings accomplishes this perfectly. Since a small movement in the powertrain results in a large movement at the dogbone, there is no reason for it to be tight, transmitting vibration continuously into the chassis, when a relatively small movement of the powertrain causes the bushing to become "tight".

I actually tried to mimic this design with my swap mounts, sort of succeeded, sort of failed. I had a 60a bushing in one side of the rear mount, with a hollowed out 80a on the other side. My theory was that under normal driving, the soft 60a bushing would limit the amount of vibration transmitted into the chassis, and under harder driving, the sleeve in the center of the mount would contact the 80a bushing, which would then limit further motion. Sort of like a progressive spring in a suspension, but it is inferior to the dogbone design, since it does not have the mechanical leverage the position of the dogbone has.

Here's something else to add on the subject of soft weight bearing mounts with dogbone style torque mounts. Many GM cars use this design, including my '02 gtp. To change the rear 3 spark plugs on the gtp, you undo the 2 front dogbone style mounts, and roll the entire powertrain forward. The motor/tranny pivots on the other mounts enough to allow access the rear spark plugs. The 2 front dogbone mounts control the powertrain torque well, delivering a nice vibration free ride, and that v6 makes 280 ft lbs all stock. This design also has the added benefit of requiring that front part of the engine compartment to be structural, vs the 3G's sheetmetal top piece between the headlights that has the structure of a piece of spaghetti.

cygnus x-1
06-24-2014, 07:54 AM
I can tell you why they made it sloppy. Look at the axis the powertrain pivots on under load, (which is basically the axis of torsional vibration, also) and then look where the dogbone thing is. A little movement of the motor imparts a lot of movement into the dogbone. In other words, that dogbone has a lot of leverage over the powertrain. (for comparison, look at the 94-01 integra front torque mounts, I think the dogbone is a better design. The integra mounts have a huge amount of force imparted into them, they have less leverage over the powertrain in comparison. They are also extremely harsh when shifting quickly.)
Anyway, the dogbone is designed to control torque upon hard acceleration/deceleration, without transmitting vibration into the body/chassis under normal driving. Designing it with slack in one of the bushings accomplishes this perfectly. Since a small movement in the powertrain results in a large movement at the dogbone, there is no reason for it to be tight, transmitting vibration continuously into the chassis, when a relatively small movement of the powertrain causes the bushing to become "tight".

I know what you're saying, and you're right in that they were trying to minimize vibration transmission from the engine to the rest of the car, and reduce shift shock. But in doing so they made the entire system feel mushy; so on hard acceleration/deceleration you get sort of a wind/unwind feeling. Granted this is rather subjective so everyone will have their own preference. I happen to like a very tight feeling drivetrain, where there is no windup delay. If this means more vibration, then so be it.

The dog bone on mine was literally floppy loose. You could wiggle the thing up/down and side to side at least 1/4" before it would even contact the rubber bushings. At one point I tried wrapping the bushing with duct tape to fill the gap. It worked and made it feel better without any more vibration, but it still felt mushy under acceleration and eventually I decided to just get rid of it altogether.
So I know what they were trying to do. I just think they could have made it a little tighter without transmitting any more vibration.

Incidentally, you could get a softer feel with the adapters that I've made by using an OEM type rubber transmission mount instead of the polyurethane mounts. You would probably need to retain the torque bar though since the rubber mounts are weaker.

C|

Accordtheory
06-25-2014, 09:39 PM
I remember driving my accord without a hood with the stock powertrain, I was amazed at how much movement it had, not just torsionally, but when hitting bumps on the highway. I wondered if the car would actually ride smoother over bumps with more solid mounts, since the chassis was so decoupled from all that mass. Analogous to weight sitting on the seats vs the floorpan. I do agree that the oem mounts are a little too soft, and obviously what you've done addresses that. But I still wouldn't eliminate the dogbone, since it has that nice leverage over the powertrain. I would possibly change the bushing, or both bushings in it, and possibly the free play in it, but I wouldn't eliminate it. I'm not saying anyone who does eliminate it is doing anything wrong necessarily, just that I wouldn't do it myself. (even though I did with the B series swap..)

lostforawhile
06-26-2014, 03:00 PM
I remember driving my accord without a hood with the stock powertrain, I was amazed at how much movement it had, not just torsionally, but when hitting bumps on the highway. I wondered if the car would actually ride smoother over bumps with more solid mounts, since the chassis was so decoupled from all that mass. Analogous to weight sitting on the seats vs the floorpan. I do agree that the oem mounts are a little too soft, and obviously what you've done addresses that. But I still wouldn't eliminate the dogbone, since it has that nice leverage over the powertrain. I would possibly change the bushing, or both bushings in it, and possibly the free play in it, but I wouldn't eliminate it. I'm not saying anyone who does eliminate it is doing anything wrong necessarily, just that I wouldn't do it myself. (even though I did with the B series swap..)I made the big end on the dog bone almost solid with an aluminum insert and left the small end as is. I had thought about making a poly insert for the small end, it made a big difference, even on a stock motor

obdriver6
01-31-2018, 11:26 AM
PM'd to see if they're still available