PDA

View Full Version : At a total loss

cameron7710
05-17-2010, 07:39 PM
so my brothers 3gee has been having alot of issues lately and we are at a complete dead end on what it could be. so what its been doing, on start up (when cold) it missfires until its warm and did that for about a week then it also started to idle really low (under 400-500 rpm) and would die alot so just to keep it running we bumped the idle up and it ran but it jumps up and down from just under 1000 to 1500 and dies still is u stop to sudden or if u pump the break or break hard and sometimes would need a minute to start back up. so we thought maybe it was the distributor going out so we replaced it today and it was good for a little bit (just teasing us:crying::bs:) and it started idling like it was. but it didnt mis fire on start up so that may be fixed but will have to wait till tomarrow when its cold to know for sure. but we are just running out of ideas cause in the last 3,000 miles we have replaced the distributor,carb,cap,rotor,spark plugs,plug wires,fuel filters, pvc filter, power steering pump (not related obviously),a bunch of vacuum lines, radiator hose and a bunch of other stuff but are no was related. so ya any ideas would be greatly appreciated. o and just for your information the car is a carbed 88 lx
with a 5speed trans

ShyBoyCA6
05-17-2010, 08:14 PM
whens the last time you check your timing??

cameron7710
05-17-2010, 08:38 PM
whens the last time you check your timing??

today when we did the distributor we reset the timing but we wernt 100% on what it should be cause the repair book said to look under the hood for the sticker but the stick was ripped off so we set it to like 15 or 18 i think im not a 100% cause are mechanic buddy did the timing cause i have no idea how lol

greentee76
05-18-2010, 01:58 PM
I would say you have a vacuum leak somewhere.Places I would check:
1- Hot air door diaphram in the air intake. Make sure it holds vacuum.
2- Tubing for PCV valve. Make sure PCV is pushed into its' grommet fully.
3- Fast Idle unloader. On passenger side of carb. This gets vacuum internally from the carb. Test that the unloader diaphram holds vacuum.

Those would be were I would start.
Also a possibility, check to make sure the EGR valve is fully closed when engine is cold.
Hope this helps some. Good luck!