PDA

View Full Version : Distributor O-ring

Edison Carasio
05-20-2010, 09:22 AM
I need to replace my dizzy o-ring as that's the source of my oil leak. Do I really need to disconnect all the freaking hoses and crap connected to it to just unbolt it from the engine and change the o-ring? And I know I need to coat the new ring in oil, but does it have to be used oil (like with a oil filter) or can I just use a little new oil?

lostforawhile
05-20-2010, 10:41 AM
I need to replace my dizzy o-ring as that's the source of my oil leak. Do I really need to disconnect all the freaking hoses and crap connected to it to just unbolt it from the engine and change the o-ring? And I know I need to coat the new ring in oil, but does it have to be used oil (like with a oil filter) or can I just use a little new oil?

just oil will be fine, I don't know what crap you are referring to, not sure if you have carb or FI, but just take off the cap and leave the wires attached to the cap, and it's just a couple of vacuum hoses and the electrical connectors

OldSchool86
05-20-2010, 12:22 PM
but does it have to be used oil (like with a oil filter) or can I just use a little new oil?
Its not required to use "used oil" for the filter. the only reason for the oil on the seal is so it cuts down on friction when you turn it so you can tighten the filter down completely and it make a complete seal. the reason for using used oil is because its already drippen, so dab it with your finger and wala.:birthday:

nfs480
05-20-2010, 12:37 PM
You don't need to use used oil on the filter, in fact i've been told specifically not to use used oil as dirt and debris can be present.

I've always used fresh new oil on my filter gaskets.

Edison Carasio
05-21-2010, 04:05 AM
I use clean oil on the filter too, but in my post I was just saying "what they say" if you know what I mean? I just stick my finger into the quart.

lostforawhile
05-21-2010, 05:24 AM
what is the point of this entire thread? when you pull the dizzy out, there will be oil behind it, where the o ring goes, stick your finger in there,put some oil on the O ring and you are done

Edison Carasio
05-21-2010, 06:29 AM
The point of the thread originally was basically "how much trouble is it to remove the dizzy to replace the o ring? " The shop manual says to remove the dizzy I have to disconnect several things, but I'm not replacign the dizzy just the ring. Originally was wondering if it was easier than that to just do the o ring.

Sorry if I'm making less sense than I should be. Posting at work inbetween phone calls and stuff gets me distracted and things don't come out as clearly as they should.

lostforawhile
05-21-2010, 09:56 AM
The point of the thread originally was basically "how much trouble is it to remove the dizzy to replace the o ring? " The shop manual says to remove the dizzy I have to disconnect several things, but I'm not replacign the dizzy just the ring. Originally was wondering if it was easier than that to just do the o ring.

Sorry if I'm making less sense than I should be. Posting at work inbetween phone calls and stuff gets me distracted and things don't come out as clearly as they should.

it's ok, you need to disconnect those things because the dizzy has to come all the way out from the head. it's not hard, the thread had just deteriorated into a clean oil, dirty oil thread.

Edison Carasio
05-21-2010, 10:47 AM
The girlfreind is coming over tomorrow to do my house chores for me while I do car work. Hopefully I make some progress. Gonna try to tackle the o ring, valve cover gasket and clean the interior (strip and shampoo).

OldSchool86
05-21-2010, 07:54 PM
The girlfreind is coming over tomorrow to do my house chores for me while I do car work.
lmfao.LOLOL HAHAHA:lol::birthday:

Edison Carasio
05-23-2010, 07:55 AM
Got the interior stripped and cleaned, but didn't get around to the mechanical stuff. :( At least I don't have any resin from the pot heads who owned the car before me anywhere now. :)

OldSchool86
05-23-2010, 08:41 AM
and your house is clean.:D