PDA

View Full Version : Factory stereo problems

87BLUELX-i
05-20-2010, 05:20 PM
My factory stereo will play OK sometimes, but I'll hit a bump and it will start sounding like it's muffled as hell. Then it will go out all together, then come back on, and it does this back and forth about 6-8 times on a 20 minute drive. I hear crackling and popping when I adjust the volume sometimes.
Is the head unit just shot? Or is there something I can check for?
I am going to put a new head unit in it soon, but I would like to be able to at least listen to the radio to and from work. Any suggestions?

ghettogeddy
05-20-2010, 05:27 PM
besides some loose wires it is a 20 yr old radio it might just be its time

87BLUELX-i
05-21-2010, 12:36 PM
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. Oh well, looks like I'll be calling Crutchfield sooner than I thought. Thanks,
NH

-$MOKIN-
05-27-2010, 03:10 PM
Might need a fuse on it.. Some facotroy stereos have a fuse on the back of them

ghettogeddy
05-27-2010, 04:43 PM
and i would not go to crutch field there expensive as fuck hit amazon or ebay

A18A
05-27-2010, 05:09 PM
crutch field? LOL what a name

87BLUELX-i
05-28-2010, 04:00 PM
and i would not go to crutch field there expensive as fuck hit amazon or ebay

Yeah, I would but my uncle is a DBA,"Database Administrator," for them, and he get's ridiculous discounts through them, even better than I get from ebay. Plus I get their extended warranty for free.

crutch field? LOL what a name

I thought so too, it reminds me of,"Crotch - Feeled".

a20soda
05-29-2010, 07:47 AM
dont do crutchfield, ebay, or amazon. due to the internet coming into play with car audio, all of the shops around your town have drastically lowered their prices. also, you get a warranty at a store. amazon and ebay dont offer that, and you risk getting rebuilt equipment. i work at a car audio shop and am mobile electronics certified :) go check out some local shops first, you will be surprised. i have a nice ass kenwood radio here, we sell for 69.95. 3v output, auxillary input, RCA outs, nice display, decent eq. LEAGUES above other radios in its price range. KDC-138 check it out

87BLUELX-i
05-30-2010, 08:31 AM
dont do crutchfield, ebay, or amazon. due to the internet coming into play with car audio, all of the shops around your town have drastically lowered their prices. also, you get a warranty at a store. amazon and ebay dont offer that, and you risk getting rebuilt equipment. i work at a car audio shop and am mobile electronics certified :) go check out some local shops first, you will be surprised. i have a nice ass kenwood radio here, we sell for 69.95. 3v output, auxillary input, RCA outs, nice display, decent eq. LEAGUES above other radios in its price range. KDC-138 check it out

Hey man you were right, I went to a couple of local shops here and found an awesome deal on an Alpine head unit. I like to try to buy locally as much as possible anyways. Everyone has forgotten about the local shops like that, even I had. It's good to see these businesses still going. Thanks,
NH