PDA

View Full Version : 88 lxi stalls at stop lights

_Wicked_
05-21-2010, 02:12 AM
I have an 88 LXi w/275k miles, and for the last 2 weeks the car has been cutting off when coming to a stop intermittently. The rpm's will drop down to 0, and it'll either shut off or it'll bounce back up to around 200 rpms, and then to 1k. Sometimes when this happens the car will start right back up again, or I'll end up sitting for 5-10 mins trying to get it to crank back up or I'll push in the clutch and give it gas while turning the key over.

When I first bought the car a few months back I replaced the spark plugs, valve cover gasket, and the starter. Two days ago I added coolant and it drove fine for awhile, then checked the ECU and pulled up code 17. I also replaced the main relay that day. Since then it's cut off at a stop 3 times, and each then it's started right back up again so I'm hoping that replacing the Main Relay helped in that regard.

The only thing I can really think of it that could be causing the problem is the distributor, the IAC, or the fuel pump. Correct me if I'm wrong. The amount of money i'm spending on this car I'm considering just selling it as is if I can't figure the damn thing out.

rc00netzero
05-23-2010, 11:02 PM
Code 17 is VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) I think there is a diagnostic procedure in the shop manual (download from main technical page)

Dr_Snooz
05-24-2010, 05:57 AM
Are you experiencing any other issues like hesitation, hard starting or rough idle?

1987AccordLx-i
05-26-2010, 09:04 PM
possible IACV and VSS problem messing with eachother