PDA

View Full Version : Radio stays on when key is out?

Einstein
05-09-2002, 06:06 PM
Is this the way the car should be, or is my ignition switch bad (stays on ACC when key is off)

jteuton
05-09-2002, 06:13 PM
when the key is completly out of the ignition i don't think it should stay on....is it an aftermarket radio?....sounds like the memory and switch hot wire might be wired wrong...jteuton

AccordChemist
05-09-2002, 06:29 PM
damn, youve owned about every honda. bastard! :eek:

jteuton
05-09-2002, 06:39 PM
maybe thats whats wrong with the radio then.....youve been cursed....jteuton

POS carb
05-09-2002, 10:39 PM
lol, it should shut off unless someone hooked up the red wire on the radio to the battery

Einstein
05-10-2002, 06:04 AM
It's the OEM radio

Sometimes it does shut off (the previous owner showed me has a way of pulling out the key so it does, I haven't figured it out yet), so it's indicating to me it's the switch.

Please don't be jeallous of my other cars. But do give me a little respect :cool: :bow:

CaspersHondaLXi
05-18-2002, 05:59 PM
Did you connect it your self if you did you might of connected your constent curent to your power and thats why it stays on?

If you didnt do it, they might of did what i had to, use a direct curent.:smokin:

Bobs89LXi
05-18-2002, 08:02 PM
Since it is the OEM head unit, it sounds to me like it is definitely a bad key switch. I had the same problem, but with the ignition position. My engine would intermittently shut off all by itself.

rallyeNate
05-18-2002, 09:20 PM
THANK YOU, i have the same problem! when i bought the car i already had an aftermarket stereo in it and i thought they messed something up, anyway when i put my stereo in it stilled did the samething. i used a voltmeter at the fuse and it had current down there, so the only i can think is that the tumbler is worn and rocking to far counterclock wise in the off spot. kind of works in my to advantage, i have all my gauges hooked up to that fuse.

Jareds 89 LX-i
05-18-2002, 10:16 PM
Hahah....this reminds me when I first got my '94 Ford Ranger back in 1999. It already had an aftermarket headunit in it, but everytime I shut the truck off, everything would reset when I turned it back on. After fidgeting around, I figured out that whoever put it in really fudged up the wiring (they cut out the factory harness and spliced, instead of buying one of those connector kits). They connected one of the power wires (can't remember which one) to the "dimmer" wire, so with the key out I could turn the radio on and off with the headlight switch, and then using the dimmer would turn it on or off too. LOL...I thought it was posessed :lol

Einstein
05-19-2002, 04:40 AM
Definitely the switch.

Since the radio is the only accessory, all I have to do is remember to shut off the radio to keep from killing the battery (which I just had to replace).

I turned up the radio and the front speakers crackled. Pulled the speakers and found the foam suspension completely deteriorated.

Shame they used 6" speakers, not 6.5". I'd have more of a choice. Instead of being able to buy nice coax 4ohm replacement set on a budget of $30, I ended up buying radio shack 8ohm paper speakers with whizzer cones. They sound fine for how I use this car.

Hoshizakido
05-19-2002, 10:49 PM
The only reason i could say is you hooked up your power wires wrong. You have one wire running to the radio as a constent, it saves all your radio stations and settings when the car is off. Then you have another power wire this one gives the radio its actuall power, but it cant be ran off of a consistent power source(the battery.) Both cannot run on a constent. You need both these to run the radio. Ones solid yellow ones solid red, i dont remember which was which, I'd have to look at the back of my radio again to find out.

88turboaccord
05-19-2002, 11:59 PM
Sounds like the ignition switch. It is very easy to change, takes me about 10 minutes or less.

Einstein
12-15-2002, 06:39 PM
On cold mornings the car wasn't starting readily. So I took it to honda for repair. They replaced the ignition switch (cleared up the radio problem) and the transmission interlock switch (which was causing the car not to start without jiggling).

Everything is in good shape, spent about $270, 2/3 of which was labor for troubleshooting and the replacement.

This is one I should have done myself. Oh, well...

Mike's89AccordLX
12-15-2002, 07:00 PM
This happend to me when I first got my cd player. Maybe the remote wire is crossed or something.

njpeter
12-15-2002, 08:12 PM
that was a steep bill there...I haven't had an accord without a giggling tranny switch, but I've always been too lazy to pull the console to fix it..kinda of a theft deterent ( no insurance discount for that).

I had a dealer try to charge me .5 hours ( the "minimum") for putting a nut on an exhuast stud where the nut was missing. I didn't pay it, as I had just dropped $400 on a radiator I didn't need ( now don't get me started).

but what it boils down to...transportation..how much are the next 100 trips going to cost ya? vs how much does getting stuck cost ya.?

2old_honda
12-15-2002, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by Einstein
Shame they used 6" speakers, not 6.5". I'd have more of a choice. Instead of being able to buy nice coax 4ohm replacement set on a budget of $30, I ended up buying radio shack 8ohm paper speakers with whizzer cones. They sound fine for how I use this car.
6.5" will fit. they just drop right in

Jdub07
12-16-2002, 09:02 AM
check the water in your battary....sounds funny but my BMW did the same thing then eventually it wouldn't start at all. Checked the water and it was all gone. Added the distiled water and was good to go. :rolleyes:

Einstein
12-16-2002, 09:09 AM
My battery was the first thing to be replaced after buying the car, didn't fix it.