PDA

View Full Version : why a 3g accord..

89accordlxi
10-08-2002, 12:04 PM
What is it about the 3geez that makes us love it so much. Why do we spend thousands and thousands of dollars to make our slow cars go faster(but still slower then newer cars). Why don't we just buy a faster car to begin with.. The cars look great but we still try to fix them up and make them look like more modern cars. Again, why don't we just buy newer cars to begin with that have all the after market goodies....

I don't know what it is but I just love my 3g. I always tell myself that I would like a newer car someday, but somehow, I just can't imagine myself in anything else. Is something the matter with me, or are there others out there in the same boat???

Please respond and share your thoughts on why the obsession with the 3g accord..

Peace......

Site
10-08-2002, 12:16 PM
"Why do we spend thousands and thousands of dollars to make our slow cars go faster(but still slower then newer cars)."
-My goal is to spend no more than $3500 on my car, that includes the cost of the car - $1000, and get it into the low 13s or high 12s on the 1/4 mile. That's definitely not slower than new cars out there. There's something cool to me about saying, "My 88 Accord is fast."

"Is something the matter with me, or are there others out there in the same boat?"
-Well, something may be wrong with you, :lol
But, for some reason, a modified 3Gee just "fits" me. I think with some good paing and performance mods, there's not many cars out there that have the same appeal to me.

Yeah, I guess we are all strange! LOL.

Mike89Accordcom
10-08-2002, 12:19 PM
Well our cars are unique and classy. Most people down them, most people have newer cars. And every kid with a honda or acura thinks our cars are old and crappy. But we've all proved them wrong. The 3rd Gen Accord is a trophy on wheels!! That's why I have spent so much $$$$ and have kept mine 7 years!!! It's better to be different, then be like everybody else.

socal3rdgen
10-08-2002, 12:22 PM
i love my 3g but it actually started out that i loved my 4th gen better when i had it. i stll like the styling better and the interior better on my 4th gen but it would never match up to my lx-i, i like that so much more. it seems to be a notch higher in every category but the styling.

im not into the flip up lights, one of the things that says "aggressive stance" is the visable lights on a car.

and yes i know that the 4th gen is 10 horseys faster. but as being a owner of both i say the lx-i is faster.

phatazzDX
10-08-2002, 12:25 PM
I bought mine to use for a work car, it was cheap and it was a Honda......enough said. I had a job that was 450 miles around trip that I did on the weekends. The job is over now and I was going to sell the Accord. But after putting 6000 miles I grew a bond to her, I'm going to keep it. I like the shape of the lines. It was ahead of it's time in styling. It still looks good today. Other than a rusted quarter panel and rusted out exhaust, it's in perfect shape for 142,000 miles. Plus, it doesn't hurt to have 3 cars in the driveway.

89LXiCoupe
10-08-2002, 12:58 PM
I got mine for free which is cool. I like my car a lot and I would cry if it got stolen or broken into. Its custom dark color makes it look aggressive. The car looks like it's been lowered, but really, it's not. Still at stock height to me. To top everything off, a lot of people mistake it to be a Prelude. My car is stock. The only mod done to it is the Weapon-R air filter. It gives me 38 mpg highways and 32 mpg city. Very reliable, although a few fixing and repairing needs to be done. Other than that, I would invest money in it if I don't get a Hachi-Roku by the end of this year.

ACCORD EX
10-08-2002, 01:08 PM
whenever someone's sees my car , he doesn't believe it's '87 ! may be that why i love it !

MIKE

HostileJava
10-08-2002, 02:39 PM
I bought mine because it was a Honda(reliable) and affordable(i can afford to mod it and not worry about wrecking a new car). I've grown very attached to it though and would probably spend alot of money to repair if anything ever happened.

Neuspeed87lx
10-08-2002, 05:14 PM
i always loved my 3g and could really never see myself driving anything else...then i saw my civic ....now my 3g sits in my driveway waiting to be drivin in the winter time....and everytime i walk by it i always think.....damn that is a sexy car

jigga225
10-08-2002, 05:15 PM
man I luv this little car.
the fact that I can work on it myself, like drill holes in the fender for my side markers and tweeters, and its paid for and mine
It looks so good the way I fixed it.
I can shut down most other cars (My friends 99 EX doesnt stand a chance) exept in speed. But I dont race.

My rims look jurassic when I park.

Chubs87Accord
10-08-2002, 07:40 PM
i personaly love the flip ups... you have a choice.. have em down.. pick up your lady and the car looks sexy.. have em up to beat a few other cars with a big sack'o'whoopass and its agressive.. i lveo the car.. im not gonna put a kit on it anymore.. i just gonna get it all painted black and slick looking.. but somewhere down the line i want to get another newer car with a bunch of aftermarket to rice the hell out of.. but of couse still have my good ol 3g... no matter what im gonna have this car.. i actually hope to pass it down to y son one day ~tear~ :lol ...even if its just sittin in the garage without an engine... i gonna have this thing around just to sit in and relax like i do with it now since i cant drive it... my girlfriend asks me why im always in my car when im on the phone with her.. i just simply reply '3rd gen accords.. no explanation needed' or 'its a 3G thing.. just go with it' its someting that cant and never will be explained... its just... wel its just a 3G thing :D and thats my theory

89accordlxi
10-08-2002, 08:22 PM
This is some good stuff. Let's keep it rolling people..

Peace..

Stefi-blueLX
10-08-2002, 08:51 PM
As Chub's said, I love those pop-up lights! ;) The car looks sporty with em. It's a sporty sedan. Not many of those around. Yeah my dad's about ready to sell it. I'm trying to make him keep it, so my sister can drive it. I want to pass it on to her. Plus she was born in 89. She'd be drivin a car the same age as her. :) She startin to love it!

Why just the other day we were drivin around. We spotted an SE-i coupe in that Brittany Blue color. Man it was fine, in perfect condition too. I was gonna tell the person about 3geez, but I couldn't find any paper. :( She said that's the prettiest car she's ever seen, and she'd drive it.

A20A1
10-08-2002, 09:43 PM
POP-UP's ... Two glass sheilds of visability durring the night... concealed or proudly displayed durring the day... a symbol of it's time.

anchovies
10-08-2002, 10:34 PM
love at first sight

Jareds 89 LX-i
10-09-2002, 12:52 AM
Is something the matter with me, or are there others out there in the same boat???
Don't worry, there's nothing wrong with you, and if there is your not alone. I think that's why we're all here in the first place, right? hehe

I don't think there's really one particular thing that makes me love my car so much, it's more a combination of all the little things I love about it. I for one LOVE the flip-ups--they give it personality. I also love the smooth and easy, yet crisp and responsive steering and nible "light on it's feet" type handling. I love the smoothness of the engine (for a 13 year old, 302k mile 4 banger, it's extremely smooth), and it rides smooth, solid, and stable at pretty much any speed fast or slow. The lines are just beautiful, even completely stock. Everything just flows perfectly. I has a "low & wide" stance, with a slightly aggressive look. Everytime I see a 3g driving around in nice shape I just sit there and stare and say "damn, that's a sexy car!". The interior is very handsom, well laid out, comfortable, and fits me perfectly. But most of all, RELIABILITY! I can trust her to take me ANYWHERE I want to go, whenever I want to go there. My 3g has been in the family for almost 6 years now, and has established such a trustworthy image, you just can't help but love that. This car has taken me everywhere without a nary of a worry, and have many fond memories (vacations, learning to drive manual, etc), so I guess that would be called sentimental value (sounds dumb, I know. I'm a fruit, heh).

I guess what I'm saying is that it fits me just right, and I love nearly everything about it. It could use a tad more power, but since it's relatively lightweight, I find the power to be adequate and it's still a peppy, fun little car to drive. Plus I think it's more fun finding our own creative ways to get more power our of our A20's rather than just buying something premade for it (ex: the Teg tranny swap that Andy just did. What a difference, and who would have thought?). I too will have my car forever--no matter what. I want to get a second car to drive everyday and spend some concentrated time fixing up the body on my 3g. Even if someday it just doesn't want to go anymore, I'll leave it in the garage and just go out and sit in it, listen to the radio, and reminiece about all the good times of days gone by.

*smacks face* Damn it...babbling again :banghead: Anyways...long live our loveable 3geez! :super:

kudd
10-09-2002, 06:58 AM
I got mine on a whim at an auction. Been driving Subies cause of AWD and where I live, but decided WTF...if it won't climb the hill in winter I'll sell it. Well it seemed like a real racer after the Subies...even tho they have more balls, the 89 lx-i handles way better.

when it got trashed I was so bummed I went right out and found the 87...which is in much better shape, tho I don't like it as much as the 89. Anyhow, I'm an old fart and won't do much to it but drive it, but I plan to keep it as long as it'll go.

I love this site tho and seeing/hearing about all the stuff you guys do to 'em. Cheers!!:beer:

Grant2k
10-09-2002, 08:36 AM
i got mine when i was 15, 2 years away from a license. my mom's friend said i could have it so cheap that i couldn't say no. at the time it wouldn't have been my first choice, but i fugured it was my first car and i would sell it soon and get something i liked more. but then i started driving it, and fell in love with it. it handles great, it's amazing on gas, and has enough pep to have fun in. there are many cars i would like to own some day, but i know that i will definitly hang on to this one the whole time. i love it.

89LXiCoupe
10-09-2002, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by ACCORD EX
whenever someone's sees my car , he doesn't believe it's '87 ! may be that why i love it !

MIKE

It is an 88-89 to me in your avatar, man.

Chubs87Accord
10-09-2002, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Grant2k
i got mine when i was 15, 2 years away from a license. my mom's friend said i could have it so cheap that i couldn't say no. at the time it wouldn't have been my first choice, but i fugured it was my first car and i would sell it soon and get something i liked more. but then i started driving it, and fell in love with it. it handles great, it's amazing on gas, and has enough pep to have fun in. there are many cars i would like to own some day, but i know that i will definitly hang on to this one the whole time. i love it.

thats what i said, i was like 'ok got it for 150, ill fix it a lil and sell it for like 2 grand to some idiot that wants it, and pay 2000 down for a nicer car' ...i havent driven it yet.. well i parked, thats about it, i just had to start workin on it a lil.. actually it was after i came on here you guys gave me so much inspiration to keep it and work on.. im gonna pay whatever i have to, to keep it running... ive always wanted something i could pass down to my kids... and i think i have it now... it was kind of funyn actually.. on my way to bible study i was telling my friend about my plans and he said why put so much into a car that old thats gonna brake down, and i couldnt answer.. except with 'youll never know why until you own a 3rd gen.. trust me', and he then he explained to e that he wanted to soup up it poopy saturn, lol seriously.. i never gettin rid of this car... its like my son, lol

jlaccord89lxi
10-12-2002, 08:05 AM
the 3g was so far ahead of its time, just with an EFi engine in 1986! Plus you can't beat the styling, it's a nice car...especially when its not rusty :D

Grant2k
10-13-2002, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by jlaccord89lxi
the 3g was so far ahead of its time, just with an EFi engine in 1986! Plus you can't beat the styling, it's a nice car...especially when its not rusty :D

i don't know that they were really ahead of their time, besides in styling. but the quality was, and is there.

lostforawhile
10-29-2005, 05:26 PM
Well I know it's an old thread but this is one that needs to get a litle update once in a while, I know some of the cars on here aren't around anymore,and I'm one of the people who still has one from when this post is new. I still have mine,and even after all of the mechanical problems and things,I still love it,not sure of one particular reason, but now both me and my wife are really doing some serious work on it. If I didn't love it I wouldn't be going through all this to make it look nice again.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/moultriemanicmechanic/moreschoolpictures010.jpgIt's got to be ugly for a while to be pretty again

3G Jester
10-29-2005, 06:33 PM
the secret lies in the vagina that folds out from the glovebox. its why its so addicting ;)

3rd gens are stoopid. hondas are stoopid and so are message boards for them.

lostforawhile
10-30-2005, 04:53 AM
3rd gens are stoopid. hondas are stoopid and so are message boards for them.???????????????????

speedpenguin
10-31-2005, 02:47 PM
i got my car from my parents, i must have been 15 or 16.
they were getting rid of it because they never really drove it, and it needed a clutch.
i got a job so i could pay the insurance on it so i could keep it.
it's dented to shit but whatev. how many red hatchbacks can you find, anyway?
i always have more fun driving my car than any other car i've driven. and i got to drive an evo once.

A18A
10-31-2005, 03:40 PM
I got mine for free which is cool. I like my car a lot and I would cry if it got stolen or broken into.

Exactly the same with me, and my dad said he's gonna take it to the wreckers :( So I'm putting it in the garage and chaining it to the garage and lock the garage and keep the keys with me and I'm going to lolck myself in the car and lock the wheels so he doesn't take it!!!

3G Jester
10-31-2005, 03:53 PM
???????????????????

last time i said that ct busted me....he4 told every one that i would never leave here i love it and its my blood. i got found out :)

89accord_lxi_coupe
10-31-2005, 04:14 PM
well, at least you guys are digging up the dead on the right day. notice the date on the first post???????

etvergara23
11-15-2005, 10:44 PM
My dad bought it brand new back in 1986. After 18 years of ownership, he passed it on to me. Currently the car has pretty low miles (148,000) and the only major thing I had to replace was the transmission, which is totally my fault. If it werent for my stupid "high school" driving habits, I think the transmission would of still be running today.

I was thinking of selling the car and maybe get a 2006 Honda Fit (which will be coming out in the Spring time) But, why should I get a new car and have monthly payments? Plus I plan to purchase a house in the near future.

My accord is still running strong, It is so hard for me to let go of this car because of its reliability. This car is bullet proof :rockon:

88Accord-DX
11-16-2005, 12:09 AM
Old ass thread..

I wanted a good car, paid $1,500 for back in 12-2001.

speedpenguin
11-17-2005, 09:10 AM
these cars are getting kinda old. my advice to anyone who plans to own one long-term is to keep about a grand in your bank account, just in case. reliable just means it takes longer for something drastic to happen. if you bought a new car at least you'd have a warranty if anything went wrong.
but if you bought a new car you'd be a wuss.
past the 20-year mark is where cars start costing money to maintain. past the 20-year mark is where your commitment to your car will be tested. past the 20-year mark is the end of the era where you can just use the excuse that it hasn't broken down yet on your significant other, because it will break down eventually unless you baby it, and even then you're just delaying the inevitable for a little longer. past the 20-year mark you will have repair bills that are three times what the car is worth. past the 20-year mark is when your car is no longer old, it's a classic.
i'm looking forward to it, are you?

russiankid
11-18-2005, 05:25 PM
i like the 3g because
1.it looks very nice
2. its comfortable inside
3. the engine is pretty torguey, well for me
4. when the lights are down it looks bad ass