PDA

View Full Version : Radius Rod Question

squire366
05-21-2010, 02:09 PM
I have an 87 Accord and I have the following issue going on. The passenger side wheel sits farther back from the front edge of the wheel well than the driver's side wheel.

I checked the radius rod nuts at the front cross-member that supports the front motor mount and both nuts were tight. I changed the bushings about a year ago and noticed that one of the bolts was not tight at all.

I took some measurements and the passenger side front wheel seems to be about 1/2 in further back than the driver's side wheel. In other words, one of the front wheels is not centered in the wheel well.

What seems to be the problem and how can I fix it?

Strugglebucket
05-21-2010, 02:52 PM
There are adjuster nuts on the radius rods behind the crossmember. As long as the bushings are assembled correctly and the rod isn't bent, it's just your adjustment that's out of whack. I'm thinking maybe someone had an alignment done while a bushing was loose and it's off now because you tightened it back up.

Take it to a GOOD alignment shop and tell them you need the caster set evenly for both sides. You may have to show them the adjuster nuts on the radius rods because a lot of shops won't believe you when you tell them your 80's econobox has caster adjustment.

I think the stock spec is 0deg but anywhere from 0 to +3 should be fine. The toe will need to be set again afterwards.

squire366
05-23-2010, 08:36 PM
Ahhhhhh.............I figured there was some way to adjust the radius rods but I didn't think to look on the backside of the front cross member.

Thanks for the reply!!!!!

Dr_Snooz
05-24-2010, 05:59 AM
Has the car been in an accident?

squire366
06-06-2010, 10:43 AM
Not since I've had it and I've had this car about 12 years!!!

Dr_Snooz
06-06-2010, 06:39 PM
Are you replacing tires more often? Who aligned it last? Do you have teenagers in the house?

dreeeemA
06-07-2010, 07:49 PM
checked and look at your caster specs., most likely it will be very negative. Possibly something bent??? Also sagged springs would affect tire wear and camber setting also.