PDA

View Full Version : Rear Suspension Noise

squire366
05-21-2010, 02:14 PM
I installed Tokico Blue shocks and Suspension Techniques lowering springs on all 4 corners of my car. When I go over bumps at certain times it sounds like the rear passenger side shock and spring is about to fall out of the car. It does not happen on every bump but it is sporadic. Sometimes it happens if I hit a large bump and sometimes with a smaller bump.

I get no noise at all from the front end and every now and then I'll get the same noise but on a much smaller scale from the driver's side rear.

Any ideas?

rc00netzero
05-21-2010, 02:53 PM
Well - I get rattles from mine because the upper rear ball joints are due for replacing. You might try lifting the rear (letting wheels droop) and make sure nothing is loose - esp the new springs - check all bushings for missing cushion, and middle attachment point for rear brake hose

dreeeemA
06-02-2010, 09:36 PM
Check for a squeaking noise accompanied by excessive bouncing when going over bumps. If your vehicle bounces after hitting a bump in the road and makes a squeaking noise at the same time, it's an indication that your shocks are worn

squire366
06-06-2010, 10:41 AM
Well it certainly isn't worn shocks because these Tokico shocks and struts are brand new. I read on another forum that my problem could be cause by worn shock collars that the springs sit in.

Does anyone know where I can order a new set of shock collars?

car6289
06-06-2010, 12:29 PM
The only collar in the rear, and front, shock/spring assembly is a steel bushing that resides on the shock shaft between the two upper mounting rubbers.
You said you installed the Tokicos and ST springs. Did you forget anything? Were there any spare parts after reassembly? Was the shock/spring assembled correctly? Are any of your tools missing? I'm not criticizing here, just asking questions.
On the bottom of the spring should be a thin molded rubber ring (called spring seat) where spring fits on shock. Upper spring has a thick molded rubber mount that goes between upper spring and damper mounting base (top hat). These upper and lower rubbers, in my experience, tend to stay with the spring when the spring/shock are disassembled. It should be visually apparent if either one of these rubbers is missing. Two eyes and sufficient light.
To see if the collar (steel bushing) is missing, access the upper shock mount from inside the car. With car on the ground undo the shock nut enough to lift the washer and look to see if the collar is installed in the rubber.
Check other rear suspension components for looseness, worn out rubber bushings etc.

Dr_Snooz
06-06-2010, 06:37 PM
Are the shocks oily at the top by any chance?

dreeeemA
06-07-2010, 07:51 PM
how are they holding up now???

squire366
06-17-2010, 01:05 PM
The only collar in the rear, and front, shock/spring assembly is a steel bushing that resides on the shock shaft between the two upper mounting rubbers.
You said you installed the Tokicos and ST springs. Did you forget anything? Were there any spare parts after reassembly? Was the shock/spring assembled correctly? Are any of your tools missing? I'm not criticizing here, just asking questions.
On the bottom of the spring should be a thin molded rubber ring (called spring seat) where spring fits on shock. Upper spring has a thick molded rubber mount that goes between upper spring and damper mounting base (top hat). These upper and lower rubbers, in my experience, tend to stay with the spring when the spring/shock are disassembled. It should be visually apparent if either one of these rubbers is missing. Two eyes and sufficient light.
To see if the collar (steel bushing) is missing, access the upper shock mount from inside the car. With car on the ground undo the shock nut enough to lift the washer and look to see if the collar is installed in the rubber.
Check other rear suspension components for looseness, worn out rubber bushings etc.

That's what I need SPRING SEATS! Everything else is installed correctly but I believe those spring seats are worn.

86-lxi
08-12-2010, 05:19 PM
My car is starting to squeak constantly.....would that be my shocks? I know they are shot but it never squeaked like this when I got it.

w261w261
08-12-2010, 06:23 PM
That's what I need SPRING SEATS! Everything else is installed correctly but I believe those spring seats are worn.

How would they wear? Seems to me that the spring just sits against them. In any case, ....somewhere... I have a new pair of them, which I bought when I did my Eibach/Bilstein mod. I didn't put them in, as the stock ones looked perfect.

However, I also have that noise, which began pretty soon after the new shocks/springs. It was on the right rear only, but now, after maybe 5 years and 80k, has spread to the left rear. Next week I'm going to have my mechanic check what has been suggested here, and if the spring mounts are ok still, I'll sell you the new ones I have at 1/2 price if you want.

car6289
08-13-2010, 06:41 AM
My car is starting to squeak constantly.....would that be my shocks? I know they are shot but it never squeaked like this when I got it.

Could be your front upper arms. In my almost 20 years of driving a 3G the only suspension squeak I ever had and cured came from my front upper arms. A friend with an 89 Sei had the exact same problem of squeaky upper arms. Silicone grease killed the squeaking.

86-lxi
08-19-2010, 08:10 AM
Could be your front upper arms. In my almost 20 years of driving a 3G the only suspension squeak I ever had and cured came from my front upper arms. A friend with an 89 Sei had the exact same problem of squeaky upper arms. Silicone grease killed the squeaking.

Hmm, I know it sqeaks in the back....I just replaced one of the control arms(the other side will be done soon) not sure about the front but i'll check them out. Thanks.

I just want it to stop it's kind of embarrassing every time I come to a stop or take off as I squeak on my merry way lol

86-lxi
11-08-2010, 03:20 PM
Well I recently did my brakes and everything was fine no noises etc. except for my front end(Need new upper control arms) but now when I'm coming to a stop I hear this pulsating squeak from the passenger side rear wheel. It sounds like a sqeaky floor board and I only hear it at slow stops.

Any help would be appreciated.