PDA

View Full Version : Vintage civic crash tests

lostforawhile
05-21-2010, 09:07 PM
this is not pretty, I used to drive these cars, on the first one, you can see why they got rid of the rear opening hood, second one on the 80 civic, in the rear end crash, no one in the back seat could have possibly survived. the scary thing is my daughter used to ride in the back, and everyone would always tell me the back was safer. Those cars always seemed to be made of coke cans to me, very thin steel, the gauge steel in the 3g's is much stronger, hence the extra weight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbZyYvCUjzQ&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSLN5vOR1y8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMX1tTP8Wqk

2ndGenGuy
05-21-2010, 09:28 PM
More cars should be like this. Maybe people would hang up their phones and pay some attention if they knew they could die at any moment. Then those of us who like small, light cars that perform well wouldn't be stuck going up against behemoths because soccer mom wants to slap her kids in the back seat while watching a DVD and talking on the phone. And dad would quit fucking with his GPS so much and learn how to read directions and plan ahead.

If people really gave a shit about safety, they would have a full roll cage and 5 point harnesses. But they don't.

lostforawhile
05-21-2010, 10:02 PM
More cars should be like this. Maybe people would hang up their phones and pay some attention if they knew they could die at any moment. Then those of us who like small, light cars that perform well wouldn't be stuck going up against behemoths because soccer mom wants to slap her kids in the back seat while watching a DVD and talking on the phone. And dad would quit fucking with his GPS so much and learn how to read directions and plan ahead.

If people really gave a shit about safety, they would have a full roll cage and 5 point harnesses. But they don't.
did you see the first one where the dummys head went through the window and hit the edge of the hood? the scary thing is they kept using that design. the reason for the front hood, is they are designed to buckle in the middle, with the hinges at the back keeping it from sliding backwards. they knew how dangerous the rear opening hood was in '75, yet they continued to use it. I can't find the 3 g tests, but they actually did pretty good according to the numbers I remember, the hatch was never tested though, only cars with a trunk, the hatchbacks tend to do poorly on rear tests,since they don't have the trunk area to absorb impact, it's not bad for the front seat passengers,because you have the large crumple area, but the back seat passengers are screwed. I remember the statistics on the 80-83 civic, the passenger would have survived, but the driver would have been killed because of the steering wheel and column, that was with a collapsing column. even with it collapsed, the front of the car was so short that the entire column,wheel and all was driven into the driver. I used to drive modified ones of the 81 on the interstate at over a hundred miles an hour :lol:

lostforawhile
05-21-2010, 10:09 PM
whats funny is the 79 civic held up better then the new Chinese car crash tests, the Chinese cars literally fell apart, watch the first one with the 79 civic, then watch this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5SRyG6UR2A

lostforawhile
05-21-2010, 10:23 PM
here's the 75 crash, I don't know what happened there, my screw up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VobBO7sIjDE

lostforawhile
05-21-2010, 10:31 PM
Ok here's the 79, this is the one with the rear opening hood, dummys head goes right through the window, and smacks the edge of the hood after it pops up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbZyYvCUjzQ&feature=related

carotman
05-22-2010, 05:35 AM
Actually, the windshield prevents the dummy's head from hitting the hood.

lostforawhile
05-22-2010, 10:57 AM
Actually, the windshield prevents the dummy's head from hitting the hood.

well it still would have hurt like hell to hit your head like that,if it didn't kill you.

ecogabriel
05-22-2010, 11:19 AM
did you see the first one where the dummys head went through the window and hit the edge of the hood? the scary thing is they kept using that design. the reason for the front hood, is they are designed to buckle in the middle, with the hinges at the back keeping it from sliding backwards. they knew how dangerous the rear opening hood was in '75, yet they continued to use it. I can't find the 3 g tests, but they actually did pretty good according to the numbers I remember, the hatch was never tested though, only cars with a trunk, the hatchbacks tend to do poorly on rear tests,since they don't have the trunk area to absorb impact, it's not bad for the front seat passengers,because you have the large crumple area, but the back seat passengers are screwed. I remember the statistics on the 80-83 civic, the passenger would have survived, but the driver would have been killed because of the steering wheel and column, that was with a collapsing column. even with it collapsed, the front of the car was so short that the entire column,wheel and all was driven into the driver. I used to drive modified ones of the 81 on the interstate at over a hundred miles an hour :lol:

All this increased scrutiny on cars and regulations has brought safer cars. Too bad that stupid 5' tall soccer moms and 2" dicked dads drive SUV-tanks endangering everybody else around them.
I am so f... sick of checking them through the rear mirror while they apply makeup, talk over the phone, or drink and eat while driving at 6" of my rear bumper. :slap:
Sometimes they are so distracted that they do not even notice when I feather-touch the brake pedal so the brake lights will come on but no real braking would occur... :rocket:

They think driving those POS makes them safer. Try avoiding a collision with an 18-wheeler driving 60+ miles on one of those; they won't.

87accordlxi
06-30-2010, 06:14 PM
THESE R THE LIL BITCHES ON THE SITE WHO REALLY TALK SHIT 4 A LIVIN N WILL BURN HELL RIGHT AFTER SOMEBODY TAKE OUT YO ASSES LOL. 88LXi-shortram,lost4AWHILE,LEGEND MASTER,RENDON LXI, TOMISMO,LX-INCREDIBLE. LOL AT YALL LIL BITCHES. SITTIN AT YO FKN $1200 DESTOP THINKIN ABOUT WHAT 2 SAY TO FIT IN TALKIN SHIT 2 SOME1 U DNT KNOW SHIT ABOUT. SUCK IT N SWALLOW BITCHES LOL. :madflip::flip::321::Owned2:

And we have a second warning...

lostforawhile
06-30-2010, 07:07 PM
thanks for the clean up. :beer:

car6289
06-30-2010, 07:56 PM
I did some unintentional personal crash testing of my 1976 Civic back in the early 80's.
I think it only rolled once and landed shiny side up. I have no idea how fast I was going as I was doing something equally damning as texting, applying make-up etc, I was asleep behind the wheel. I escaped through where the windshield used to reside, as the doors were inoperable post crash. A truck driver saw my headlights doing something unnatural for a vehicle on the highway at night. He pulled over to see if everything was OK. Fortunately for me, I was OK. He then offered me a ride to my destination , a further 20 miles in the same direction as he was traveling. The next morning a friend of a friend picked up the car with his wrecker. My first Honda was no more,:( but it lives on as an avatar.
http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/4210/civica.jpg