PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Casing Leak

Andy
05-24-2010, 11:58 PM
88 honda accord lx with manual trans that has a small leak from the larger gasket between the transmission casings. I've read some earlier posts where the replacement of the gasket with permatex is recommended. I know the newer hondas have switched to hondabond. Does anyone know if this type of repair can be done with the transmission in the car and seperating the cases enough to tear the old gasket out and replace it as described or if discontinue use of the gasket is really advisable. I did replace the smaller gasket with a new gasket on the transmission end 2 or 3 years ago, and had good luck with that (no leak there now).

Thanks

carotman
05-25-2010, 03:49 AM
You really have to take the transmission out to separate the casings.

2ndGenGuy
05-25-2010, 08:22 AM
You can try some of that spray on RTV sealer. :tongue: No preparation necessary :kekeke: Seriously though, we used it on our leaky-ass Lemons car and it worked pretty well. It's worth a shot at least.

MessyHonda
05-25-2010, 11:52 AM
Another cheap fix would be some bjweld
don't run it with out oil or it will blow up...
Happen to me

Andy
07-03-2010, 07:58 PM
Well I ended up going with the JB weld. It does dry rather slowly and since it is applied upside down it will tend to drip a bit. I had a bit of a time with it still leaking. Initial leak rate prior to the repair was about enough to form a 2 inch diameter spot on my garage floor over a 24 hr period. After the first 2 or three applications I had it down to visible drops on the sealed area (none on the floor). I ended up putting on some quicksteel which dried a lot quicker. I then bridged over the whole thing with more JB weld. End result no leakage. Not sure the casing will ever come apart.