PDA

View Full Version : Most economical way to clean a20A3 Head/Block Surface...

xobmo
05-26-2010, 08:51 AM
Hey guys, anyone have any idea of the most economical way to clean the head and block before reinstalling the head gasket on my '88 LX-i? Assume no tools, all I have are wrenches and a chain... I have the head on my balcony on a table, with the exhaust and intake manifolds removed, ready for their new seals, but still dirty/carbony as crap... Thanks...

Tomisimo
05-26-2010, 11:02 AM
try a engine build shop, it usually dont cost much if its already of the block and disassembled. I can get it done for 50-60$ around here. it will be factory clean and shiny.

2ndGenGuy
05-26-2010, 11:13 AM
Plus they will check for warpage, which, if you blew a headgasket is a very good possibility.

AZmike
06-01-2010, 08:15 PM
The most economical way to clean the head and block is to use a few razor blades to clean off the old gasket material.

As everyone else has suggested having a machine shop check the head is a good idea. Around here for less than $100 you get a head cleaned and leak tested and the deck machined. When you consider what another head gasket and your time costs if the head does have a problem it seems like the easy choice to me.

xobmo
06-02-2010, 08:59 AM
Thanks guys for the info, I will take it by a machine shop here not too far from the house and have them check it out...