PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Slipping,(Don't hose me until you read)

87BLUELX-i
05-26-2010, 08:57 AM
OK, my auto transmission in my 87 LX-i is starting to slip when I'm slowing down to about 10-15 mph and then accelerating, like when you're slowing down for a red light and it turns green and you hit the gas, it will rev about 500-600 rpm and then shift. It also does it when I'm turning and hit the gas coming out of a 90 degree turn.
So this is my question:
A)Do you think that I should try having it flushed, filled with Honda ATF, and changing the filter?
B)Don't waste my money and go ahead and put it toward a 5 speed swap?
I planned on swapping out to a 5 speed in the future, but was hoping to run the auto for a while, until I did some other mods to the motor, exterior, etc. But if the tranny is going out anyways, should I just go ahead and buy a good 5 speed and swap it? That was my future plan anyway.
The car is an 87 LX-i, 140K, auto, FI, and it is in great shape. So I guess I'm taking a mini-poll. Tell me what you think guys, and thanks for the help. The only reason I'm asking about this is because you guys have a lot more experience with these cars than me, and YES, I did search the forum and came up with a lot of info. This is no different than me asking a few of my buddies what they would do if they were me. Have a good one,
NH

greentee76
05-26-2010, 12:45 PM
Have you checked that your TV cable is adjusted correctly?

87BLUELX-i
05-26-2010, 01:03 PM
Yes, when I got the car it was shifting hard as hell, I checked the TV cable and it was out of adjustment. I referred to the thread on here that shows how to adjust for the FI cars, and the car started shifting like new. But it didn't fix the slipping problem, which was going on before I adjusted the TV cable.
Thanks,
NH

nfs480
05-26-2010, 04:04 PM
My car has done this for the past 10 years and it hasn't gotten worse, fluid changes seemed to have no effect. I've tried adjusting the TV cable but my adjusters are rusted in place so I can't adjust it, seems to just keep going like this though.

87BLUELX-i
05-26-2010, 05:33 PM
OK then, it's not a major problem anyways, but I just wanted to see if anyone had this happen before, and then had the trans go out or something like that.
(nfs480) Thanks for the info, and hey, try some PB Blast and let it set on it, and keep re-applying it? That sucks that it won't adjust man. Have a good one.

Dr_Snooz
05-26-2010, 06:16 PM
I'd have another go at the TV cable. You probably got it too loose. It's thinking you aren't on the gas when you actually are and isn't engaging as a result.

87BLUELX-i
05-28-2010, 01:39 PM
Cool, I'll try that out and see if it helps. Thanks,
NH

I'd have another go at the TV cable. You probably got it too loose. It's thinking you aren't on the gas when you actually are and isn't engaging as a result.

just1
06-01-2010, 10:57 AM
same thing happend to me i just put a new trans in it