PDA

View Full Version : Looking for New Front Rotors (Performance) and SS lines

mushroom_toy
05-26-2010, 11:55 AM
Alright looking for stock size (so i can still run 14s) performance rotors and brake lines. I have new rear sei rotors, and Im probably gonna leave them the way they are, but im looking for a vented, slotted, and drilled rotor for the front. What brand should i go with? Baer has some, stoptech, powerslot, etc?
Should I go with some that has the black coat or zinc coat so i wont have to paint? Also where can I find a stainless brake line set for sei? Im looking to buy from somewhere that has and can ship both fast.

88LXi68
05-26-2010, 12:08 PM
discountbrakes.com

fairly cheap and fast shipping

FYI - I run the centric discs on my integra and they are pretty good performance wise and appearance. no rust on the top hats or vents

mushroom_toy
05-26-2010, 02:20 PM
discountbrakes.com

fairly cheap and fast shipping

FYI - I run the centric discs on my integra and they are pretty good performance wise and appearance. no rust on the top hats or vents

Yeah I was thinking about the centrics but they dont sell in pairs. :(

2ndGenGuy
05-26-2010, 02:32 PM
If you're sticking with stock sized rotors, you're best off (IMO) just buying some NAPA Gold blanks. They're a good quality rotor that will stop you every bit as well as any of those bling bling drilled slotted things. I'm inclined to say better actually. And they're cheap enough that if you run an aggressive pad, it won't hurt your wallet so bad.

mushroom_toy
05-26-2010, 02:36 PM
Im gonna be running Pro Satisfied Ceramic pads...ive been running them and theyre perfect for me.

2ndGenGuy
05-26-2010, 02:50 PM
Ceramics probably won't tear your rotors up anyways... So it's probably not that big of a deal. But they will save you some money. :D Though they aren't painted or anything. I'd have to go look at mine to see if they are rusty.

I will say I don't think the Zinc coating is that durable. When it does start to wear, you have a shiny surface with rusty spots scattered about. I'd rather just have a regular rusty looking hat that you hardly notice. That's what happened with my "super awesome" drilled/slotted Brembos that were Zinc coated. They look like crap now.

mushroom_toy
05-26-2010, 04:36 PM
....I just cant stand the rust on mine...especially the rears which were brand new when I painted em. :( i went on napas website and they dont sell a napa gold rotor...

Bglad420
05-26-2010, 04:39 PM
If you're sticking with stock sized rotors, you're best off (IMO) just buying some NAPA Gold blanks. They're a good quality rotor that will stop you every bit as well as any of those bling bling drilled slotted things. I'm inclined to say better actually. And they're cheap enough that if you run an aggressive pad, it won't hurt your wallet so bad.

The napa gold is a Brembo blank.

mushroom_toy
05-26-2010, 05:03 PM
Oh well then theyre listed as something different and higher at napa than online. :(

88LXi68
05-26-2010, 08:04 PM
Yeah I was thinking about the centrics but they dont sell in pairs. :(

I am not sure I have ever seen rotors sold in pairs. I still think if your looking for a top hat that won't rust then the centrics are what you want. Mine have gone through winter and still have a black top hat

Strugglebucket
05-26-2010, 08:11 PM
I have slotted Brembos in front and I really like them. I've had them 6 years now and never had a hint of runout. The slots are nice because they let me get rid of the splash shields and still have them work good in the rain.

2ndGenGuy
05-26-2010, 08:24 PM
The napa gold is a Brembo blank.

I just looked up what my local NAPA carries for the 3gee (looked up 89 Accord, dunno which one you have but I'm sure it's similar.

The Napa Premiums (Guess they don't call them "gold" anymore) are $38 each for the LXi. $28 for the DX/LX.

They also carry an "Altrom" brand (probably a supplier) which are $60 each, and they are noted to be the actual Brembo blanks as per the listing on NAPA's site.

I'm wondering now if the Premiums are made in the USA. If the old Gold line was Brembos, they were certainly made in Italy, but I thought they were USA made, which woudln't make any sense...

As a side note, I just looked at my NAPA Premiums I've got on the Miata, and you can't even see what the hat of the rotor looks like because it's covered in brake dust. So with a less aggressive pad, I dunno what the hats will look like.

They've held up great though. Held up through 6 autocrosses this year so far, dual driving most, doing AM and PM runs and 65 miles of hard abuse on the lapping day at the local kart track. Not to mention some fairly aggressive street driving (which really doesn't count for shit). Can't feel any runout in the pedal at all. Smooth as when I started with 'em.

I have slotted Brembos in front and I really like them. I've had them 6 years now and never had a hint of runout. The slots are nice because they let me get rid of the splash shields and still have them work good in the rain.

Man I have pooped my pants a few times after taking off the splash guards on my Accord. The slots didn't do anything to keep water off for me. But then again, I also had some pretty shitty pads on at the same time.

mushroom_toy
05-26-2010, 09:17 PM
SO the premiums....or the others (brembo blanks) I can get the premium napa ones for 19.99 at my local napa...mines 86 though so smaller front disc.

2drSE-i
05-26-2010, 10:45 PM
Slots and holes do nothing for brake performance, as has been documented. All it really does is decrease surface contact. Honestly, on our nice vented discs, why would you mess with it?

I can sorta see slots, but not drilled holes.

VIPER1988
05-27-2010, 07:37 AM
i had centric rotors with ebc green stuff pads. great combination. the black paint lasted about 2 years before it started pealing and rusting. the rotors lasted until i put a set of bendix pads on, then they warped within a few weeks.

MessyHonda
05-27-2010, 11:22 PM
i have legend centric rotors in the front with semi metalic pads...stops good.

Oldblueaccord
05-28-2010, 05:13 AM
Slots and holes do nothing for brake performance, as has been documented. All it really does is decrease surface contact. Honestly, on our nice vented discs, why would you mess with it?

I can sorta see slots, but not drilled holes.

ill take a link or 2 to that or i think your totaly wrong.

wp

Oldblueaccord
05-30-2010, 05:08 AM
:stick::stick: <crickets>

Mushroom have you looked at fastbrakes.com.

I m not sure what you can do for the stock 10.3" rotors besides a good brake pads. Anything I ran in that size warped including slotted rotors I made myself,which BTW I think work. I never ran drilled rotors due to cracking issues but I think alot of them are cast in now days so that should not be an issue considering the number of STOCK cars that run them now.

wp

Hash_man_Se_i
05-30-2010, 09:54 PM
^^ Fastbrakes.com is supposed to be good. For SS lines order direct from Techna-fit.com

I just ordered my SS lines from them, and the price came out way cheaper then listed on the site, so we will see what happens when they arrive at my sisters place. I didn't want to pay GST or customs lol, so my mom will throw them in her suitcase when she comes back next week.

Tdurr
05-30-2010, 10:27 PM
^^ how much was the SS lines?

Hash_man_Se_i
05-31-2010, 06:43 PM
Ended up being like $210 shipped for lines for an SE-i and lines for a BMW 5 series. pretty cheap if you ask me, and technafit lines have PVC coating to protect from road grime too.

Oldblueaccord
05-31-2010, 10:20 PM
http://www.buybrakes.com/store/45-04090U

I use these the last 4 years on my Type R set up great pad.

wp

Importordomestic
06-10-2010, 12:54 PM
one answer, WWW.Fastbrakes.com Give Brian a call he will treat you right.