PDA

View Full Version : Radiator is barfing!

2Fast4U86
10-08-2002, 02:37 PM
Okay, so I changed my thermostat, radiator fluid... all well until I try to bleed the bastard..

So I turn the car on with full cabin heat, and run it, waiting for the fans to come on (thermostat was changed because they didn't before, so that hopefully fixed it)... In the manual it says that I am to wait until the fans come on, with the rad. cap open, and after the engine heats up - refill the radiator if needed.

So I run the car.

First, the radiator fluid starts slowly to run out the top of the rad.. .I figure that's okay, since it's expanding from the heat...

Then all of a sudden the fluid goes away down into the radiator..

And in about a minute after, the fluid turns warm and starts to foam up out of the radiator. Which is when I freak (because the manual didn't mention anything of the sort), snap a picture and run over to the newsgroup..

So what gives? Am I doing this right? Is my car fucked in some way yet unsuspected by me? Thanks!

2Fast4U

http://www.calpoly.edu/~ygisin/radbarf.jpg

2Fast4U86
10-08-2002, 03:00 PM
Heeelp! My car is stuck on the ramps and a pack of stray dogs is licking the ground and the radiator! Woe is me!

2Fast

socal3rdgen
10-08-2002, 03:06 PM
ice cream for everyone!!!!!!

:lol

that sux dude i wish i could help

Jdub07
10-08-2002, 03:06 PM
WHOLY FREAKIN FOAM BATMAN! in the manual it says to put the heat on, to warm up the car. Doesn't turning on the heater keep your car running cooler? Sorry man I don't know why it foamed.

socal3rdgen
10-08-2002, 03:07 PM
actually i have seen my 86 pontiac 6000 le do that. i had put to much water in.

2Fast4U86
10-08-2002, 03:09 PM
>Doesn't turning on the heater keep your car running cooler

Totally, that's how I kept the car at about half-way point on the temperature scale when the fans were shot. (they only turn on once the temp. gauge gets waay hot). Stuupid manual.

The dogs are now weakly stumbling around, licking at the ground every now and then... I wonder what's up? :) And the car is still up on stands! Gah!

2Fast

Jdub07
10-08-2002, 03:27 PM
yeah did you put a 50/50 mix of water and coolant?

2Fast4U86
10-08-2002, 03:35 PM
Very close to... I put in one gallon of pre-mixed 50/50, then had to add about 12 oz of water, because 1 gallon wasn't quite enough.

GAAH? So should I re-fill it to the top and close it? or does that lead to bad shit happening? Kinda lost here...

2Fast

89AccordNate
10-08-2002, 03:54 PM
Wow that foam is weird. Did you flush the system? It could look like that after you flushed it and there is still some flushing fluid still left in there. But the cum shot from the radiator? I dont know what that came from.

Nate.

2Fast4U86
10-08-2002, 03:59 PM
I drained the bastard, then ran a bit of clear water from the garden hose through it, let it all come out while I replaced the t-stat... then just re-filled it and started it.

When I opened it cold - the fluid was right up to the neck of the radiator... so I think if nobody has any ideas, I'll just top it off with water (kuz I don't have any 50/50 left), and go see what happens. Ddd-oh!

2Fast

2Fast4U86
10-08-2002, 04:37 PM
Well I'm going to go see what happens if I just top it and close it... if any of you guys have a clue, please let me know!

Thanks,

2Fast

POS carb
10-08-2002, 05:07 PM
just drive the car, let it cool down, and AFTER it's cool enough to open without spewing (squeeze the upper raid. hose, when it's soft it is safe to open up) check the level and add water with the hose and crack the bleed screw loose. when water starts coming out of the bleed screw close it up and close the raidiator when it's full... then you're set.

(oh yea do this with the motor off)

POS carb
10-08-2002, 05:08 PM
hmm I seem to have forgotten how to spell "radiator" :p

Mantis88LX
10-08-2002, 05:16 PM
i thought u bleed the radiator with the engine running?

Mantis88LX
10-08-2002, 05:18 PM
also so you do bleed it with the radiator cap off? and when water comes out of the bleed screw then u add water if needed then put the cap back on and your done?

2Fast4U86
10-08-2002, 05:34 PM
Okay: Erik, thanks for the advice - that's exactly what I did! And after bleeding the bastard, my manual (honda factory manual off of that russian dude's website :) ) says - run the engine with the rad cap off until it's hot (fans come on at least twice), then add fluid if needed. Which is what I did and which is exactly when the radiator started spewing foam.

So anyways - I talked to a local Honda mechanic, he didnt seem to be too concerned, said don't worry. So, long story short the thermostat/coolant change didn't seem to help my fans turning on problem.. just drove to school and the fans still refuse to come on even at about 75% up the temperature scale.

So there. Hmm. I guess the sensor at the bottom of the rad is fucked, or maybe the relay in the fuse box. Will attempt to get a new relay at a junkyard soon, see if that helps.. if not, I guess it's radiator-sensor-changin' time for me.

2Fast

anchovies
10-08-2002, 10:09 PM
You should have tested the sensor 1st ..lol..
actually, look at the relay 1st.

2Fast4U86
10-08-2002, 11:22 PM
Yeah, but people say "look at the sensor" this and "look at the sensor" that, but have any of them actually tried getting to the damn thing? It's like impossible! Expect a thread on that, if the relay doesn't help :)

2Fast

CoAsTeR
10-09-2002, 03:55 PM
odds are its just the fan relay.... swipe a couple relays at the scrap yard and give em' a shot, thats what my problem was.

getting to that sensor can be a painin the ass, but its do-able.

its okay to love your car, but its not ok to LOVE :gay: your car, keep that white stuff in your pants eh.... :)

no idea where it coulda came from...... was it a new rad? I can't remember if you said that or not, if it was maybe there was some kinda oil or something from the manufacturing process inside of it still. I flushed mine with water before my installation.....

re-check your thermostat too, that foam crap coulda damaged it or plugged er up at little..... fans dont come on if thermostat dont open up to let hot water into rad.

POS carb
10-09-2002, 08:10 PM
all you have to do to test the sensor is put your key in the "On" position and take off the plug from the sensor and stick a paperclip to jump the terminals together and if the fans come on you found the problem; freaking easy