PDA

View Full Version : Auto Slip or TV Cable Problem

nerdfinite
05-27-2010, 10:44 AM
My 98 accord lxi started to have trouble shifting into 3rd (or at least I think its 3rd) when the gas is pushed about half way. (the speed i often drive away from a stop) The car seems fine if I accelerate faster or slower but at about half throttle and at about 20-30 mph the rpm's shoot up and down until I get up to speed and its fine again.

The transmission fluid is full but has not been changed in a while. I have owned it for about 25K there is 230K on the clock and I don't know when it was changed last.

If it is the TV cable then I'm going to need to find some way of turning the dirty rusted nuts holding it in place. The only thing is, there doesn't appear to be much slack in it. But I may be misunderstanding how much and which way it would need to be adjusted. (TV guide used: 3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40885)

If the transmission is going out then its going to be time to look for a new car because it would be hard to justify putting too much money in this car, even if the engine has been extremely reliable over the last 5 years.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for your time,
Josh

2oodoor
05-27-2010, 11:13 AM
you mean 89 accord correct?

if it suddenly started then the cable may be sticking so get some wd 40 and lube the bare cable ends up at the throttle on top and down below. You can adjust the Lxi ones (87 model does anyway)at the top since there is a jam nut set up there as well.
If you are controling how it shifts by moving the gas pedel then yes, most certainly that is what you are doing is moving the tv cable synchroniously:) so you stand to improve this by adjusting it.
Funny thing is I have noticed you can go either way with adjustment and make improvements or make it worse so there is a sweet spot right in between. That said, just move is some and try it, you should be able to hold 60 mph in "fifth" or lock up with out it constantly moving in and out. Remember any significant movement of the gas pedel at that speed takes it out of lock up, then it settles back in. Watch the tach.

think of the tv cable as only a device that positions the lever according to throttle position, a manual throttle position sensor of sorts!
It has to return to "home position" when the throttle is released too.

nerdfinite
05-27-2010, 06:13 PM
yes sorry 89

nerdfinite
05-28-2010, 06:46 AM
I adjusted the TV cable and it made no difference. It also will slip under WOT after all.

The odd thing is the car starts mostly problem free, although it gets much worse the longer you drive it. Today, After about an hour of changing the TV and testing it got to the point where I almost couldn't get going. It almost feels like I'm skidding my tires on ice. If I hold the throttle steady the rpm will stay at about 3.5k and my speed will slowly increase until I get to about 30 is mph.

Its starting to sound like I have a gear slipping. There's no problem if I drive in "2" so I'm thinking its a problem with 1st or it could still be 3rd. To be honest, I have know idea what gear or gear's are causing the problem. But, like I said, its really only a problem from about 10 to 30ish.

Just in case its a fluid problem I'm going to change it tomorrow.

Dr_Snooz
05-28-2010, 03:31 PM
I think you're a candidate for a junkyard swap at this point.

LX-incredible
05-28-2010, 10:24 PM
A fluid change is a smart thing to do before making any further decisions... Buy a decent flexible magnet with a small head to pull any shavings that might have accumulated on the magnet, located on the right side of the drain in the trans.

One thing that can go bad and cause slippage is the seal on the speed sensor. So if you have a undetectable PS leak, that might be where it's going. I developed this issue at around 240k and it took a while to figure out...

nerdfinite
05-30-2010, 07:51 AM
The fluid change fixed the problem for now. One question though, the transmission has a filter in there somewhere right? And, if so, how necessary and expensive would getting it changed be?

If you don't think changing the filter will matter then ill just wait a week and change the fluid again so that only 1/4 of the old fluid is left. Hopefully that will be enough.

Thanks again for all your help,
josh

LX-incredible
05-30-2010, 09:06 AM
Expensive. The transmission needs to be removed and disassembled to get at it.

Use a small magnet to remove the shavings that have built up on the internal magnet over the years. You'll be surprised at what you get. It's to the left and up through the drain hole.

CzEcHy
05-30-2010, 10:42 AM
Expensive. The transmission needs to be removed and disassembled to get at it.

Use a small magnet to remove the shavings that have built up on the internal magnet over the years. You'll be surprised at what you get. It's to the left and up through the drain hole.

Where is this at?

I'm sure mine could use that, tho it's an 88 automatic, is it still the same?

LX-incredible
05-30-2010, 12:08 PM
It's to the left and up through the drain hole.

You'll know you hit it when you pull the magnet out and theres a ball of shit on the head.

Were talking about the automatic here.